Author Topic: Wrath: Lorraine Day Word Study  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Jeremias

• Snr
Wrath: Lorraine Day Word Study
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »
http://www.goodnewsaboutgod.com/studies/otkillergod.htm

Good link about wrath.  I don't agree with everything in this link, because I do believe God punishes in a corrective nature but good stuff none the less.  Here is a good excerpt...

The first problem we must address is that the translators have taken great license with the translation of various words in the Bible. "Wrath" and "anger" are no exceptions.

In the New Testament, two Greek words are both translated "wrath." They are orge (#3709 in Strong's Concordance) which means desire, or violent passion and thumos (#2372) which means passion, breathing hard, or fury.

The translations in the Old Testament are much more varied. Each number on the right in the list below is for a different Hebrew word. But they ALL are translated "wrath." The Hebrew language is very precise. Each word has a specifically different meaning. This shows that the translators arbitrarily chose to translate all of these different words as "wrath." But they do NOT all mean wrath

The Hebrew word aph (#639) means rapid breathing in passion.

Chemah (#2534) is defined as hot with passion

Ebrah (#5678) means outburst of passion

Qetseph (#7110) means, literally, a splinter or "chipped off". Freely translated it means to be displeased, to fret or possibly to burst out.

Kaac (#3707) - to be grieved or sorrowful, to be troubled.

All these words have specific meanings which denote a passionate displeasure or a sorrowful troubled spirit, yet they are ALL translated "wrath." This, of course, makes God appear violent, frightening and vengeful, apparently the way the translators chose to present God to the world, a "ferocious" God that agrees with their own theology. A more accurate translation is that God is passionately sorrowful or troubled.

God, Himself, Defines His "Wrath."

Human beings define wrath as "intense anger, rage fury, vengeance" according to Webster's New World Dictionary. But God defines His wrath in a totally different way.

Look at Romans 1:18: "For the wrath (Greek word orge) of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold (suppress) the truth in unrighteousness." Then verses 24, 26 and 28 tell us how God demonstrates His wrath:

Verse 24: "Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves."

Verse 26: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections; for even their women did change (exchange) the natural use into (for) that which is against nature."

Verse 28: "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate (debased) mind, to do those things which are not convenient (fitting)."

So we see that God's wrath is just giving us up to our own sinful ways to reap what we have sown. He doesn't punish us. He doesn't harm us in any way. He just let's us go the way we have chosen. We then punish ourselves by our wrong decisions.

God has given us the 10 Commandments as a guide for our life. He says that if we obey them, our lives will be easier and happier. If we don't obey them, our lives will be harder and more sorrowful - - - NOT because He's going to punish us, but because the natural result of our actions and behavior will bring us sorrow and pain.

When our children were young, we warned them not to play in the street. We didn't say, "If you play in the street, I'll kill you." No, we said "I love you and I don't want to see you hurt. If you play in the street, you might be injured or killed."

It's the same with God. He says, "I love you and I want your life to be happy and healthy. If you don't obey the guidelines I have given you, I won't punish you, but you will punish yourselves by bringing on yourselves the results of your behavior. You will reap what you have sown."

As much as I would like for her definitions of these words to be this cut and dry... and as much as I am interested in defending God's character against those who make Him out to be a vengeful psychopathic killer... I'm afraid her definitions are much, much to simplified and shortened.  So far, I cannot find any material that verifies the definitions of these 5 OT words as she succinctly defines them.

Anyone else?

----------------------------
Strong's #2534: chemah (pronounced khay-maw')

or (Dan. 11:44) chemaC {khay-maw'}; from 3179; heat; figuratively, anger, poison (from its fever):--anger, bottles, hot displeasure, furious(-ly, -ry), heat, indignation, poison, rage, wrath(- ful). See 2529.

--------------------------

Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon:

chêmâh / chêmâ'

1) heat, rage, hot displeasure, indignation, anger, wrath, poison, bottles

1a) heat

1a1) fever

1a2) venom, poison (figuratively)

1b) burning anger, rage

Part of Speech: noun feminine

Relation: from H3179