Author Topic: Word Study of Hebrew and Greek Puns in Matthew 16  (Read 2426 times)

Yeshua-Song

Word Study of Hebrew and Greek Puns in Matthew 16
« on: December 05, 2009, 12:40:32 AM »
This is something I sent out to some Catholic friends.

I was thinking about Matthew 16's discussion of Peter as the rock.

We see that just after Jesus calls him a rock (Peter = Petrus) He then rebukes him for being satan! in Hebrew Satan actually means stumbling block or stone!

So Jesus shows us that there are two kinds of stone: a rock of faith or a stumbling block of betrayal and compromise.

Also it is very interesting that Jesus says that Peter's confession of Jesus being the Christ was shown to him by the Father in Heaven. Father in Greek is Pater, which is also related to Petrus. So there seem to be many levels of word play going on here!!!

We can also see directly through the Greek how Father (Pater) and Rock (Petrus) are related in a way that Rock of Ages in the Hebrew (Tzur or Even) are not related to God directly.

However the stone that the builders rejected in Psalm 118 is called Even in Hebrew, which is a kind of combination of Av = Father and Ben = Son. So the Even is literally the Father's Son!

Halleluyah!

Some resources you all might enjoy:

1. this is an online virtual keyboard of many foreign languages. you can access both hebrew and greek: http://gate2home.com/

2. google the book by Isaac Mozeson called The Word, which presents compelling evidence for the Hebrew etymological roots of thousands of English words. If this is true it can only be seen as a kind of miracle that the world's oldest language would be embedded in the world's youngest langauge!
http://books.google.com/books?id=iK1i2qtYBTIC&dq=the+word+mozeson&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=PyJ9vDOLD_&sig=DIpn-TqMt4Z2L5yEbwdEK2BSZ0U&hl=en&ei=qo8ZS-CON42l8Aas1sHaAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Offline Molly

• Gold
Re: Word Study of Hebrew and Greek Puns in Matthew 16
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 12:49:02 AM »
Very cool!  Thanks!

:goodpost:

Yeshua-Song

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:51:45 AM »
it's a blessing to be able to be a blessing!!!

HartleyDamboiseII

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:57:35 AM »
I just want to add this,

Matt16:17 only has one and only one topic, and it has nothing to do with any kind of rock or any kind of confession,

Its whole subject is and in every loving heart be, the new church now and forever deals with man one on one, God deals with man and man with God with NO MIDDLE MAN (priest)  The "SUBJECT MATTER" IS

:HeartThrob:REVELATION He Reveals to Men now... :HeartThrob:

Please try to forget all the tricks the mother church has use for 2009 years to get us off the True Subject Matter of this verse.  or forget the rock and confession lies. Yes those meanings are there, but how often have you been taught of "old testament" is through the high priest in the temple, "new testament" is God's Anointed the high priest in the new temple of one body that he bought with His blood.

Don't forget the SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS

iT IS REVELATION TO HUMANS ONE ON ONE (MAN AND GOD)

Lee

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 02:59:49 AM »
 :cloud9: Good post Yeshua-song!  :thumbsup: Blessings....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 03:15:41 AM »
Quote from: Lee
iT IS REVELATION TO HUMANS ONE ON ONE (MAN AND GOD)

Lee

Yes, Amen.  That is what he is building his church on.

HartleyDamboiseII

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »
Molly , do you know that 99.9 % of people are redirected away from that by the "mommy" Church when told to consitrate on "The Rock" in Matt 16:17?????????????????????????????????

Content of the Subject of the above is "Revelation"

Can anyone tell me why my spell checker is not working any more

Lee

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 02:41:54 PM »
Quote from: Lee
Molly , do you know that 99.9 % of people are redirected away from that by the "mommy" Church..

I believe it.  Isn't that the passage the Catholic church uses for the Apostolic succession?  Christ is building his church on one man per generation, starting with Peter, the first Pope?   

In my case, it helps to be totally uneducated by the church. lol

HartleyDamboiseII

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 02:45:33 PM »
Yes, that is the mommy church lie to redirect the subject away from the truth

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 02:58:09 PM »
Yes, that is the mommy church lie to redirect the subject away from the truth

Amazing, isn't it?  I often wonder if it is deliberate or they are just blind.

But, they always seem to find the interpretation that is consistent with perpetrating their own earthly power, and then warn others not to read it.

That's one reason why I feel indebted to Martin Luther.  He put the Bible in our hands in our own language.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 07:51:38 PM »
In my case, it helps to be totally uneducated by the church. lol

:cloud9: Amen to that. I was upset with Him slightly for the first few months for Him not having me raised in church. It finally dawned on me, THAT WAS A BLESSING, LOL. Blessings....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor