Author Topic: The fourth word  (Read 15001 times)

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
Re: The fourth word
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2011, 06:01:56 PM »
http://biblos.com/genesis/1-1.htm

Transliteration            Strong's   English
בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית   be·re·crap            7225    in the beginning
בָּרָ֣א           ba·ra                    1254    created
אֱלֹהִ֑ים   e·lo·him;            430       God
אֵ֥ת           et                    853   
הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם   ha·sha·ma·yim    8064   the heavens
וְאֵ֥ת      ve·'et             853   
הָאָֽרֶץ׃   ha·'a·retz.            776      the earth

maybe its where we get the word "the" from, Hebrew was written right to left, English left to right.  ath or eth backwards (phonetically) is the  :winkgrin:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »
Quote from: ww
Hi!, it's me AlephTav that this verse is about!

Or, in other words, Hi!, it's me, God, that this verse is about! :winkgrin:
But the the verse reads: In the begining God God created...
It's more like, In the beginning, God created AlephTav heaven earth.
Or: In the beginning the God-Son created...

So we start out with AlephTav heaven earth, and then something happens [gap]?

I could take it further, but I'll stop there for now.
Let's add 2 more verses to teh discussion
Exod 18:20 And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.
and.you-warn (ath) them with the.statues and (ath) the.laws and.you-make-known to.them (ath) the.way they-shall-go in.her and.(ath) the.deed which they-shall-do

Isa 6:1 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.
in.year-of death-of the.king Uzziah and.I-am-seeing (ath) my-Lord sitting on throne being-high and.being-lifted-up and-skirts-of-him ones-filling (ath) the.temple

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:26:06 PM by WhiteWings »
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
The purpose of the word 'Eth' in this context is then indeed best understood not by an exegetical interpretation but in its simple meaning 'with'.  In the simple interpretation of this word it emphasises a deep mystical meditation that all of existence is nullified before G-d's existence and the need for a human being to have total self abnegation, which manifests itself in absolute love of G-d.[/size][/font]

This then explains why the word 'Eth' is added in the context of love of G-d but not when talking about love of one's neighbour, since while one should have love and respect of another human being, one needs to have  total self - nullification only towards G-d.

:cloud9: This makes perfect sense to me and reminded me of one of the first things He spoke to me 25 years ago. He said, "You are to bow the knee to no man, but only to My Spirit." I understood He ALSO meant, HIS Spirit IN man (when I heard it). Same principle as outlined above. Fascinating article, WW, thanks  :thumbsup:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2011, 08:15:08 PM »
Gen 1:1  In the beginningH7225 GodH430 createdH1254 (H853) the heavenH8064 and the earth.H776

One 'eth'.  No word for 'the,' no word for 'and'.

eth heaven earth=3 words

"in the beginning"

H7225
ראשׁית
rê'shı̂yth
ray-sheeth'
From the same as H7218; the first, in place, time, order or rank (specifically a firstfruit): - beginning, chief (-est), first (-fruits, part, time), principal thing.

It seems like he might be talking about a spiritual heaven earth.

:cloud9: I think He is. He gave me, "In the FIRSTFRUITS (same word as beginning), God created the heaven (spirit) and the earth (soul)."

We don't think of soul which is also a spiritual entity as being of the earth, but natural wisdom is described as sensual, as opposed to the wisdom that comes from above. Both are spiritual, but one is created a little lower.

Soulish wisdom we understand to be less than Christ's wisdom, but yet we tend to tie it into the natural fleshly senses, making it more physical than spiritual in make-up. But it is a spiritual thing that expresses itself thru the natural.

The natural senses mirror what the soul interprets. This is why we look thru a glass darkly (darkened soul) = Christ must illuminate all of it for there to be no darkness.

When He finished with this process, it will also be interpreted as, "In the firstfruits, God created the mind of Christ and the glorified body." Blessings....

"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2011, 09:51:44 PM »
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament Francis Brown, S.R. Driver, C.A. Briggs Oxford Press.

I believe that Willie H. seen it properly.

The word is in many more places as well.
According to this Lexicon page 84 it is called " the mark of the accusative"(disignating)
prefixed as a rule only to nouns that are difinite.

Gen 1:1  In the beginningH7225 GodH430 createdH1254 (H853)
Gen 4:1  And AdamH121 knewH3045 (H853)
Gen 8:8  Also he sent forthH7971 (H853
Gen 29:27  FulfilH4390 herH2063 week,H7620 and we will giveH5414 thee(H853)

There is just so much yet to see! 
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
was reading Genesis 4:1, came across AT 0854, this is translated as with.

As far as I can see its the exact same word, whats up with that?  My understanding of this stuff is about this much"...".

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2011, 03:41:26 PM »
was reading Genesis 4:1, came across AT 0854, this is translated as with.

As far as I can see its the exact same word, whats up with that?  My understanding of this stuff is about this much"...".
Read reply #94
The word is more than a bit of grammar.
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2011, 05:26:11 PM »
what I meant was why does Strongs have it as different words, when it is the same word.  Is it just that when they choose to translate it as "with" they make it 0854, and when they don't its 0853? 0855 AT = plowshare?
Along that same line in Gen 1:1, the first instance is AT (401 value), the second is WAT (406).  Still comes up as 0853.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2011, 06:28:18 PM »
Stongs are based on a KJV taht's no longer sold (IIRC)
KJV used to have note in the sideline. Like "or can also be translated as ..." or "some manuscripts..."

Besides of that Strong ofen uses several English words for one Hebrew word.

Biblical Hebrew had a remarkably small number of words – 8,000 at most, with 1,700 used only once
Meaning many words have several meanings and the right one has to be determined by context.
Just like in English. What does right mean...?  :winkgrin:

• Gold
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2011, 01:36:47 AM »
Why is this 4th word holding a focus?  This 4th word is an accomplice, set to help and disignate.  " the mark of the accusative"(disignating)  prefixed as a rule only to nouns that are difinite."

Are we seeking mysteries or are we praying to understand the mysteries and deep things of the Word that are written for those who seek understanding?

I ask  only with a humble interest.
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2011, 02:20:04 AM »
 :cloud9: Because HE is the Word, so every jot and tittle is important in it's own right  :2c:

• Gold
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2011, 03:45:34 AM »
:cloud9: Because HE is the Word, so every jot and tittle is important in it's own right  :2c:

What has that got to do with this? I again am without understanding. :sigh:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2011, 07:39:25 AM »
Why is this 4th word holding a focus?  This 4th word is an accomplice, set to help and disignate.  " the mark of the accusative"(disignating)  prefixed as a rule only to nouns that are difinite."

Are we seeking mysteries or are we praying to understand the mysteries and deep things of the Word that are written for those who seek understanding?

I ask  only with a humble interest.
Again my answer is read #94

But I'll try to explain in a very direct way.
WW says: Jesus was a man Micah. It's all correct translated. He was a man of flesh and blood just like you are.
Micah answers: That is true but He is ALSO the Son of God. Our Saviour. He also is .... and ... and .... and ....

See my claim was 100% correct. But your answer was more complete.
Same for the 4th word. Your claim is 100% correct. But it is a long way from complete.

And THAT is what this thread is about...

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »
http://www.khouse.org/articles/2000/196/

It may come as a surprise to many of our readers that one of the common, virtually obligatory, qualifications among the professionals in the Greco-Roman world was that of a tachygrphos, or shorthand writer.6

Among the disciples, Matthew, a former customs official, would also likely have had a working knowledge of tachygraphy, and thus may have been able to transcribe the Sermon on the Mount verbatim, just as Tertius and others were able to transcribe Paul's more verbose utterances.7

Even in the Old Testament, in Psalm 45:1, the Hebrew, sopher mehir, the "ready writer (KJV)," or "skillful writer (NIV)," is translated in the Greek Septuagint, oxugrafoV, oxygrphos, a synonym for tachygrphos, or shorthand writer. The technical term must have been common enough among Greek-speaking Jews in the 3rd century B.C. for its use in the Septuagint to have any purpose.

Paul also mentions a technical term, membranae, a Latin word transcribed into Greek, referring to a parchment notebook.8 This was apparently a predecessor to the codex, or "book" that we know today. These were written on both sides of the sheet and were small and often pocket-sized. They were easy to handle, to skip through for reference, and to store, and thus led to the ultimate departure from the traditional scrolls.
The tedious, painstaking tasks of record-keeping in the ancient world is difficult for us to imagine today. Thus, it is understandable that abbreviations were even more common in antiquity than today.

Even in our linguistic world, when a technical term emerges, or a complex phrase is used with substantial frequency, we indulge in abbreviations or acronyms: NATO for North Atlantic Treaty Organization; DNA for deoxyribonucleic acid; or the alphabet soup associated with governmental organizations: CIA, FBI, DOD, et al.9

One of the more significant incidences of abbreviated words, found even on the earliest samples of formalized writing, is the use of nomina sacra, holy names.10 One example is the chi-rho, Cr, a monogram of Christ consisting of the first two letters of His name in Greek, CristoV, Christos. Others include:

Jesus, IhsouV Iesous = IV

God, qeoV, Theos = qV

Holy Spirit, pneuma, Pneuma = pna

Why are these "holy names" important? They were deliberate; their use was regular and systematic from the start. The scribes did not employ these to simply save space on a sheet of papyrus: the key point is that these "holy names" reflected a theological position.

The word "Lord," kurioV, kurios, could be applied to many different persons far removed from the Trinity; however, when abbreviated kV, it became a divine name, referring to Jesus.

In the Old Testament, we note a more subtle abbreviation in the use of the heh, for the Ruach Elohim, the Holy Spirit. An example of this occurs in Genesis 17. When the names of Abram11 and Sarai12 were changed to Abra(H)am13 and Sara(H)14 it was accomplished by simply inserting the heh into their names, marking the involvement of the Spirit of God into their lives.

The First and the Last

In numerous places in both the Old and New Testaments, God refers to Himself as "the First and the Last."15 This is also explicit in the New Testament identifiers, "Alpha and Omega," the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet.16 (In several of these references, they are unquestionably references to Jesus Christ Himself.17)

In the Old Testament, we frequently encounter the letters aleph, and the tau, the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet. When used with a connector-bar, a maqqeph, the two-letter prefix, at-,is used as a grammatical element to indicate a direct object. There are also instances, however, where aleph tau is used as a pronoun to indicate the second person masculine singular; a hypocatastasis ("putting down underneath"), a kind of grammatical pun: "a hidden declarative implied metaphor expressing a superlative degree of resemblance."18 For example, in Zechariah 12 we find the prophecy of the Messiah's climactic appearance to Israel:

...and they shall look upon me [aleph tau] whom they have pierced... Zechariah 12:10
The untranslated aleph tau could be translated as follows:

"... and they shall look upon me, the aleph and the tau, whom they have pierced."

...in which the aleph and the tau, the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet, are, thus, equivalent to the alpha and the omega in the Greek.

We also find the same untranslated letters in Genesis 1:

In the beginning God [aleph tau] created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1
This Aleph and Tau, that created the heavens and the earth, is the same Aleph and Tau whom they pierced on the wooden cross erected in Judea almost 2,000 years ago.19 And this Ultimate Nomina Sacrum is scheduled to return when He is least expected.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2011, 02:36:28 PM »
Thanks Red,

More proof that replacing Alepph Tav with Jesus goes a long way.

Gen 3:8 and.the-are-hearing ath - sound-of Yaweh Elohim walking in.the.garden to.wind-of the.day

The above verse uses a connector bar. Never noticed those connector bars :sigh:

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/gen3.pdf

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »

"Yaweh Elohim walking in.the.garden to.wind-of the.day"

Sounds like: The family of God moving perfectly in Christ.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »
http://www.khouse.org/articles/2000/196/

It may come as a surprise to many of our readers that one of the common, virtually obligatory, qualifications among the professionals in the Greco-Roman world was that of a tachygrphos, or shorthand writer.6

Among the disciples, Matthew, a former customs official, would also likely have had a working knowledge of tachygraphy, and thus may have been able to transcribe the Sermon on the Mount verbatim, just as Tertius and others were able to transcribe Paul's more verbose utterances.7

Even in the Old Testament, in Psalm 45:1, the Hebrew, sopher mehir, the "ready writer (KJV)," or "skillful writer (NIV)," is translated in the Greek Septuagint, oxugrafoV, oxygrphos, a synonym for tachygrphos, or shorthand writer. The technical term must have been common enough among Greek-speaking Jews in the 3rd century B.C. for its use in the Septuagint to have any purpose.

Paul also mentions a technical term, membranae, a Latin word transcribed into Greek, referring to a parchment notebook.8 This was apparently a predecessor to the codex, or "book" that we know today. These were written on both sides of the sheet and were small and often pocket-sized. They were easy to handle, to skip through for reference, and to store, and thus led to the ultimate departure from the traditional scrolls.
The tedious, painstaking tasks of record-keeping in the ancient world is difficult for us to imagine today. Thus, it is understandable that abbreviations were even more common in antiquity than today.

Even in our linguistic world, when a technical term emerges, or a complex phrase is used with substantial frequency, we indulge in abbreviations or acronyms: NATO for North Atlantic Treaty Organization; DNA for deoxyribonucleic acid; or the alphabet soup associated with governmental organizations: CIA, FBI, DOD, et al.9

One of the more significant incidences of abbreviated words, found even on the earliest samples of formalized writing, is the use of nomina sacra, holy names.10 One example is the chi-rho, Cr, a monogram of Christ consisting of the first two letters of His name in Greek, CristoV, Christos. Others include:

Jesus, IhsouV Iesous = IV

God, qeoV, Theos = qV

Holy Spirit, pneuma, Pneuma = pna

Why are these "holy names" important? They were deliberate; their use was regular and systematic from the start. The scribes did not employ these to simply save space on a sheet of papyrus: the key point is that these "holy names" reflected a theological position.

The word "Lord," kurioV, kurios, could be applied to many different persons far removed from the Trinity; however, when abbreviated kV, it became a divine name, referring to Jesus.

In the Old Testament, we note a more subtle abbreviation in the use of the heh, for the Ruach Elohim, the Holy Spirit. An example of this occurs in Genesis 17. When the names of Abram11 and Sarai12 were changed to Abra(H)am13 and Sara(H)14 it was accomplished by simply inserting the heh into their names, marking the involvement of the Spirit of God into their lives.

The First and the Last

In numerous places in both the Old and New Testaments, God refers to Himself as "the First and the Last."15 This is also explicit in the New Testament identifiers, "Alpha and Omega," the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet.16 (In several of these references, they are unquestionably references to Jesus Christ Himself.17)

In the Old Testament, we frequently encounter the letters aleph, and the tau, the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet. When used with a connector-bar, a maqqeph, the two-letter prefix, at-,is used as a grammatical element to indicate a direct object. There are also instances, however, where aleph tau is used as a pronoun to indicate the second person masculine singular; a hypocatastasis ("putting down underneath"), a kind of grammatical pun: "a hidden declarative implied metaphor expressing a superlative degree of resemblance."18 For example, in Zechariah 12 we find the prophecy of the Messiah's climactic appearance to Israel:

...and they shall look upon me [aleph tau] whom they have pierced... Zechariah 12:10
The untranslated aleph tau could be translated as follows:

"... and they shall look upon me, the aleph and the tau, whom they have pierced."

...in which the aleph and the tau, the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet, are, thus, equivalent to the alpha and the omega in the Greek.

We also find the same untranslated letters in Genesis 1:

In the beginning God [aleph tau] created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1
This Aleph and Tau, that created the heavens and the earth, is the same Aleph and Tau whom they pierced on the wooden cross erected in Judea almost 2,000 years ago.19 And this Ultimate Nomina Sacrum is scheduled to return when He is least expected.
I loved this.  It would make sense that he is the Aleph Tav.  He is the Word.   And, he gave his man, Adam, language.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:40:04 PM by Molly »

• Gold
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2011, 01:14:22 AM »
Gen. 1:1 In the BEGINNING...
Beginning Gen.1:1 H7225  rê'shı̂yth From the same as H7218; the first, in place, time, order or rank (specifically a firstfruit): - beginning, chief (-est), first (-fruits, part, time), principal thing. H7218 rô'sh From an unused root apparently meaning to shake; the head (as most easily shaken), whether literally or figuratively (in many applications, of place, time, rank, etc.): - band, beginning, captain, chapiter, chief (-est place, man, things), company, end, X every [man], excellent, first, forefront, ([be-]) head, height, (on) high (-est part, [priest]), X lead, X poor, principal, ruler, sum, top.

Rom 8:23 Yet not only so, but we ourselves also, who have the firstfruit of the spirit, we ourselves also, are groaning in ourselves, awaiting the sonship, the deliverance of our body."

1Co 15:20  And now, Christ hath risen out of the dead--the first-fruits of those sleeping he became,

1Co 15:23  and each in his proper order, a first-fruit Christ, afterwards those who are the Christ's, in his presence,

Col 1:16  because in him were the all things created, those in the heavens, and those upon the earth, those visible, and those invisible, whether thrones, whether lordships, whether principalities, whether authorities; all things through him, 

Rev 22:13  I am the Alpha and the Omega--the Beginning and End--the First and the Last.
 :bigGrin:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2011, 08:48:01 AM »
  186אֵת ('ēt) I. Untranslated particle.
An untranslated particle in Hebrew often described in grammars (somewhat superficially) as the sign of the direct object after a transitive verb. Its origin is unknown. The prevailing view is that 'ēt was originally a noun meaning "essence, substance, self," a significance which it subsequently lost in the historical development of the language.
When 'ēt is used to signify an accusative (nota accusativi) it is generally, though not always, in prose and when the object of the verb is determined by the definite article. More important than indicating an accusative, the function of 'ēt is to emphasize the word to which it is attached.
For this reason one observes that 'ēt is used not only with the accusative but with the subject (nota nominatii) of both intransitive and passive verbs. Copious illustrations could be offered but two will suffice. With 'ēt as subject of an intransitive verb compare II Kgs 6:5: "The axe-head fell into the water" (wĕ'et-habbarzel nāpal 'el-hammāyı̂m). With 'ēt as subject of a passive verb compare Gen 17:5; "And your name ('et-shimkâ) shall no more be called Abram."
To summarize, 'ēt was originally a substantive, and was used to emphasize the noun to which it was prefixed. In the course of time the emphatic meaning was lost and 'ēt became a particle with no special meaning.
Bibliography: On a similar particle in other Semitic languages and texts: Andersen, F. I., "Moabite Syntax," Orientalia 35:117–18. Leahy, T., "Studies in the Syntax of IQS," Bib 41:152–54.
On Biblical Hebrew 'ēt: Hoftijzer, J., "Remarks Concerning the Use of the Particle 't in Classical Hebrew," Oudtestamentisrhe Studiën 14:1–99. MacDonald, J., "The Particle 't in Classical Hebrew," VT 14:263–75. Saydon, P. P., "Meanings and Uses of the Particle 't," VT 14:192–210. Walker, N., "Concerning the Function of 'eth," VT 5:314–15.
V.P.H.

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2011, 03:06:02 PM »
I'm gonna transplant our discussion on el here if you don't mind. 

Lets take the word sex.  asexual homosexual, hypersexual.  we know the word sex, its important to us.  (the entire field of marketing would be dead without it) 

Now take El, or el.  I understand the word isn't translated as meaning God.  But, that word is used thousands of times in the Bible.  It would be like the word sex for us meant sex and toward. 
Personally if that were the case I'd probably notice.

I'm not sure if I have a question.  hmm... how bout... whats up with that?

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »
 את  = Aleph Tav = Fourth word of Gen 1:1