Apologetics - Universal Reconciliation > Word Studies

The Christian Bible (1991)

<< < (2/49) > >>

Molly:
Yet the groups of Called Ones in Judea that are in union with the Anointed One ..

I just love that phrasing.  It shows the depth of the word, ekklesia.

Do you own this Bible, Jab?  

G1577
ἐκκλησία
ekklēsia
ek-klay-see'-ah
From a compound of G1537 and a derivative of G2564; a calling out, that is, (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both): - assembly, church.

jabcat:
Hi Molly.  Yes I do.  I read that particular version pretty much daily.  It reads extremely well, and appears highly accurate.  The only others I know that has it is jfraysee who bought one and really enjoyed it, and I think it may be WhiteWing's favorite version.  With English not being his primary language, it also reads well for him...very easy to understand, yet true to the Koine/everyday language Greek - yet they didn't sacrifice accuracy for readability.

WhiteWings:
jfraysee: If you read this, would you say CB has slight annihilation undertone?

WhiteWings:

--- Quote from: jabcat on March 10, 2010, 05:36:47 AM ---With English not being his primary language, it also reads well for him...very easy to understand, yet true to the Koine/everyday language Greek
--- End quote ---
My thoughts on CB likely are not valid for most on this forum. Most of you spend half you life with a KJV. I jumped right into UR and versions like KJV look to full of 'mistakes' to be taken seriously. (many reasons for that)
So when I read the KJV long list of word meanings zap through my head that constantly reference to "eternal=age", "hell=grave". Then in the end all I did is make a 'perfect' translation in my head never did really read the verse itself.
I know the way I speak about the KJV hurts several people on this forum. I gave many reasons for my opinion and this time I want to add that Bible study is (also) about getting rid of character flaws. But imo that also goes for the book/tool we use for that study.

YLT is another fav of me. It uses the right words. So the 'KJV problems' are gone.
It's grammer structure is a hybrid between English and Dutch. So usually it reads fine for me. But with some verses it still has problems. The flow isn't there and to understand you have to change the word order slightly. But sometimes a word fits in two places, giving a whole differnt meanings to the verse.

CB reads KJV-style like a book. Accuracy of YLT. Plus it's 100 years more recent. In that century scholars have learned much more about Koine Greek. So my guess is the accuracy improved over YLT.

eaglesway:
I grew up a big fan of old english lit. Studied it in college. Read it for enjoyment. The KJV was like butter to me when I began to read the Word. I still love the style of the prose, but I will tell you, it is such terrible translation. There are so many important words, even beyond sheol and aion, that were translated with absolutely no consistency whatsoever. In my opinion it is one of the worst. In addition, no matter what people read today, be it NASB, NIV, NKJV, YLT, CB- so much current theology was developed from the KJV- its what people know, whether they know it or not. The NASB and NIV are not really much better. Sometimes I feel like I am picking through the rubbish heap for the treasure, and I check everything in the interlinears, dictionaries and lexicons. I look forward to checking out The Christian Bible.... I don't think I ever heard of it before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version