Author Topic: Starting Bible Study (translations)  (Read 1181 times)

Kozani

Starting Bible Study (translations)
« on: September 23, 2012, 08:53:24 PM »
Hello &  :HeartThrob: from England

I came across the Tentmaker videos on Youtube, as I'm researching which bibles to buy.  The vids were very interesting & chimed in with a lot of my inarticlated feelings from basic bible research.

I was wondering if ppl could give some advice on initial bibles for starting to study the translations, as I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the info.   :Chinscratch:  (I don't want to spend a lot of time online, with web versions, as I'm not well & have to limit screen time.)

First up would be a bible to write in with notes, but I'm unsure which translation would make a good basis for expanding with translation study notes & that also has decent space for notetaking (I prefer to keep word study quite close to the original text, not in separate notebooks.)

I would also like some kind of Hebrew study guide. I'm not sure which to start with - something like a Strong's, or a Hebrew/Greek Study bible?  I don't really know what an interlinear bible is?   :dunno2:

If anyone could make some suggestions, I'd be really grateful, (bearing in mind I'm in England)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:09:55 PM by Kozani »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Re: Starting Bible Study (translations)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:23:42 PM »
Hi and welcome Kozani :thumbsup:

My advise is to to try the free electronic versions and then make your choice. They are also availble as offline versions. But that's still on a screen.

YLT - Youngs Literal Translation
CLV - Concordant Literal Version
ISA - Interlinear is a Bible that show 2 languages. Hebrew+English and/or Greek+English

Please check out the link below to get stated/
http://tentmaker.org/forum/christian-life/list-of-useful-links/msg112440/#msg112440

:welcome:

1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Kozani

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:45:19 PM »
Thank you for the reply.

If I wanted to look at Hebrew words & Strong's numbers, is the Blueletterbible site the best out there?  Would I get anything more from buying a Strong's concordance? 

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Gen&c=1&v=1&t=KJV#top

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »
http://concordances.org/greek/3639.htm

imo Strong's is not the best possible lexicon.
Thayer has improved the Greek word defenitions.
Brown, Driver an Briggs the Hebrew word defenition.

If you use the free programs eSword or TheWord you can download BestLex here: http://www.mediafire.com/?nefx8iqavldq5y2
It has the added benefit of Tense Mood Voice info.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:45:39 AM by WhiteWings »
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Kozani

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:01:34 AM »
Thanks.  I don't need the Greek.  I'm only reading the OT at the moment, how do I find the Thayers?  That site is so busy its hard to work out the multi screen. 

I'm on an Ipad, so can't download zip etc. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:07:39 AM by Kozani »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites

Kozani

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 06:24:13 PM »
Still having trouble finding a soft cover (eg leather, imitation leather etc) main bible in a decent translation - and knowing which study bibles are ok to use. 

I'm not able to use ipad for very long cos of health, so finding material copies of things is important for me.   :sigh:

Due any of the recommended translations come in a leather/imitation sewn cover, rather than a glued hardback? 

I had wondered about the New Interpreter's Study Bible, which uses the NSRV, but while some of the commentary is very good indeed, a lot of it seem off the mark.     :Chinscratch:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 06:59:23 PM »
Yeah, iPad, or any of the competition, isn't very suited for reading long texts. (Kindle is)

This is a good NT Bible. Perfect print and material. Out of print.... http://tentmaker.org/forum/word-studies/the-christian-bible-(1991)/

That's the only printed version I have. (KJV got a one way trip to the incinerator...)
So I can't give any advise because I simply have no experience with the print quaility

Young: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=young+literal+translation
I intended to buy that one a year ago but gave up because of the reviews. It's reprinted many times and people complain a lot about the quality. Tiny letters, faded letters, etc