Author Topic: Phil. 2:10,11  (Read 2531 times)

Offline FineLinen

Phil. 2:10,11
« on: November 25, 2007, 06:27:20 PM »
Phil. 2:10,11

"It is because of this also that God has so highly exalted Him, and has conferred on Him the Name which is supreme above every other name, In order that in the Name of Jesus (so that in adoration of the Name of Jesus) every knee should bow, of beings in the highest heavens, of those on the earth, and of those in the underworld, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

kavmptw = bow=

Used of worshippers.

To bow one's self.

Confess= ejxomologevw

Confess/ profess.

A. To acknowledge openly and joyfully.

B. To celebrate/ to give praise to.

Exomologeo Rooted In oJmologevw

oJmologevw=

To confess/ declare.

A. To profess/ declare openly and freely.

B. To profess one's self the worshipper of one.

C. To praise and celebrate.

In the Name/ Within the Name -Jonathan Mitchell Greek N.T.-

9. For this reason, God also lifts Him up above (highly exalts Him; elevates Him over) and by grace gives to Him (graces on Him) the Name -- the one over and above every name! --

10. to the end that within The Name: Jesus! (or: in the name of {or: belonging to} Jesus), EVERY KNEE -- of the men upon the heavens (of those belonging to the super-heavens) and of the men existing upon the earth and of the men dwelling down under the ground (or: pertaining to subterranean ones) -- may bend (should bow) in worship or prayer,

11. and EVERY TONGUE may speak out the same thing (should openly agree, confess and acclaim) that Jesus Christ Lord <= Yahweh?> -- into glory of Father God (or: unto Father God's reputation)!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 06:33:43 AM by FineLinen »
In the Christian story God descends to reascend. He comes down;.... down to the very roots and sea-bed of the Nature He has created. But He goes down to come up again and bring the whole ruined world up with Him. -C.S. Lewis

Hennessey

Re: Phil. 2:10,11
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 07:00:50 PM »
Thanks David, I have been copying so many of your posts lately I am going to have to open up a "Finelinen" file. 

Jack

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 01:53:26 PM »
Thanks David, I have been copying so many of your posts lately I am going to have to open up a "Finelinen" file. 

Jack

Hi there Jack, how does the magnificent sight of the Grand Tetons look today? Does it compare with the wonderful landscape of the Father's cherished purpose in the Son of His love?

I just added a couple more word studies for you and whoever might find them of use. The hours of preparation in these studies has been a wonderful experience for me and I am pleased you find them profitable.

"Christ is the way out and the way in. He is the way out of slavery, conscious or unconscious, into liberty. He is the way out of the unhomeliness of things into the home we desire but do not know. He is the way from the stormy skirts of the Father's garments to the peace of His bosom."-George MacDonald
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:00:11 PM by FineLinen »
In the Christian story God descends to reascend. He comes down;.... down to the very roots and sea-bed of the Nature He has created. But He goes down to come up again and bring the whole ruined world up with Him. -C.S. Lewis

Hennessey

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:40:40 PM »
Hi there Jack, how does the magnificent sight of the Grand Tetons look today? Does it compare with the wonderful landscape of the Father's cherished purpose in the Son of His love?

The Tetons pale in comparison brother and moreso with each day.
I Look forward to the studies!

Jack

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:52:55 PM »

The Tetons pale in comparison brother and more so with each day.
I Look forward to the studies!

Jack

Calling Jackson Hole.....hi there Jack. The glorious sight of the Father of all fathers gathering up the fragments that remain that nothing be lost is a landscape I wish to behold. I know you do as well.

In the past century there was an old Baptist who taught Koine Greek at graduate level for 47 years. The depth of his grasp at times amazes me: this is what he writes regarding the exaltation of the Christ in these verses of Scripture....

http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/rwp/view.cgi?book=php&chapter=002&verse=010

And Rev. 5:13?

http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/rwp/view.cgi?book=re&chapter=005&verse=013

Every created thing (pan ktisma).

Every creature in a still wider antiphonal circle beyond the circle of angels (from ktizw, for which see 1 Timothy 4:4; James 1:18), from all the four great fields of life (in heaven, upon the earth, under the earth as in verse 3, with on the sea epi thv talasshv added).

No created thing is left out. This universal chorus of praise to Christ from all created life reminds one of the profound mystical passage in Romans 8:20-22 concerning the sympathetic agony of creation (ktisiv) in hope of freedom from the bondage of corruption.

If the trail of the serpent is on all creation, it will be ultimately thrown off.

Well, glory to the King of kings!

If the trail of the serpent is upon all creation, it will ultimately be thrown off.

Hennessey

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:08:02 PM »
Calling Jackson Hole.....hi there Jack. The glorious sight of the Father of all fathers gathering up the fragments that remain that nothing be lost is a landscape I wish to behold. I know you do as well.

I do brother and I wish you could be here to enjoy the blinding snowstorm this morning. Oh how I long for Hawaii today, the home of my youth. lol

Good stuff David and thanks for turning me on to a new site.

Jack

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 02:00:39 PM »
Robertson Word Pictures Of The New Testament

HERE

Philippians 2:10

That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow (ina en twi onomati Ihsou pan gonu kampshi).

First aorist active subjunctive of kamptw, old verb, to bend, to bow, in purpose clause with ina.

Not perfunctory genuflections whenever the name of Jesus is mentioned, but universal acknowledgment of the majesty and power of Jesus who carries his human name and nature to heaven. This universal homage to Jesus is seen in Romans 8:22; Ephesians 1:20-22 and in particular Revelation 5:13.

Under the earth (kataxtoniwn).

Homeric adjective for departed souls, subterranean, simply the dead. Here only in the N.T.

"I heard every creature – in heaven, on earth, under the earth, in the sea, and all that is in them – singing: "To the one seated on the throne and to the Lamb be praise, honor, glory, and ruling power forever and ever!"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 02:13:52 PM by FineLinen »

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »
It is because of this also that God has so highly exalted Him, and has conferred on Him the Name which is supreme above every other name, In order that in/ out of the Name of Jesus (so that in adoration of the Name of Jesus) every knee should bow, of beings in the highest heavens, of those on the earth, and of those in the underworld, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Confess=

<A-1,Verb,3670,homologeo>

Literally, "to speak the same thing" (homos, "same," lego, "to speak"), "to assent, accord, agree with," denotes, (a) "to confess, declare, admit," John 1:20; e.g., Acts 24:14; Heb. 11:13; (b) "to confess by way of admitting oneself guilty of what one is accused of, the result of inward conviction," 1 John 1:9; (c) "to declare openly by way of speaking out freely, such confession being the effect of deep conviction of facts," Matt. 7:23; 10:32 (twice) and Luke 12:8 (see next par.); John 9:22; 12:42; Acts 23:8; Rom. 10:9,10 ("confession is made"); 1 Tim. 6:12 (RV); Titus 1:16; 1 John 2:23; 4:2,15; 2 John 1:7 (in John's Epistle it is the necessary antithesis to Gnostic doceticism); Rev. 3:5, in the best mss. (some have No. 2 here); (d) "to confess by way of celebrating with praise," Heb. 13:15; (e) "to promise," Matt. 14:7.

In Matt. 10:32; Luke 12:8 the construction of this verb with en, "in," followed by the dative case of the personal pronoun, has a special significance, namely, to "confess" in a person's name, the nature of the "confession" being determined by the context, the suggestion being to make a public "confession." Thus the statement, "every one ... who shall confess Me (lit., "in Me," i.e., in My case) before men, him (lit., "in him," i.e., in his case) will I also confess before My Father ...," conveys the thought of "confessing" allegiance to Christ as one's Master and Lord, and, on the other hand, of acknowledgment, on His part, of the faithful one as being His worshipper and servant, His loyal follower; this is appropriate to the original idea in homologeo of being identified in thought or language.

See PROFESS, PROMISE, THANK.

<A-2,Verb,1843,exomologeo>

Ek, "out," intensive, and No. 1, and accordingly stronger than No. 1, "to confess forth," i.e., "freely, openly," is used (a) "of a public acknowledgment or confession of sins," Matt. 3:6; Mark 1:5; Acts 19:18; Jas. 5:16; (b) "to profess or acknowledge openly," Matt. 11:25 (translated "thank," but indicating the fuller idea); Phil. 2:11 (some mss. have it in Rev. 3:5: see No. 1); (c) "to confess by way of celebrating, giving praise," Rom. 14:11; 15:9. In Luke 10:21, it is translated "I thank," the true meaning being "I gladly acknowledge." In Luke 22:6 it signifies to consent (RV), for AV, "promised."

See CONSENT, PROMISE, THANK.

Vine's Expository Dictionary Of The New Testament

HERE

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 02:22:17 PM »
Notice the verse from the Old Testament that Paul was quoting in Phil. 2 and we will understand through context whether this universal "bowing and confessing" will be unto salvation or just God making them cry "Uncle" before He casts them to Hell.

Isa 45:22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

Isa 45:23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

In particular, I want to focus on three points:

(1) God states the purpose of this bowing and confessing as "Look unto me and be saved".

(2) This includes "all the ends of the earth".

(3) God has sworn by Himself that this will happen. In other words, He has Sovereignly declared that this will happen and He will cause it to happen. Such strong language indicates that no man or demon will be able to prevent His will in this from coming to pass.

Praise God for it.

John

By Kratos

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 12:46:05 AM »
Blessing and Honor, Glory and Power

Be unto the Ancient of Days

From every nation, all of creation

Bow before the Ancient of Days

Every tongue in heaven and earth

Shall declare Your glory

Every knee shall bow at Your throne in worship

You will be exalted Oh God   -  And Your Kingdom shall not pass away

O Ancient of Days

Blessing and Honor,Glory and Power-Be unto the Ancient of Days

From every nation, all of creation

Bow before the Ancient of Days

Every tongue in heaven and earth

Shall declare Your glory

Every knee shall bow at Your throne in worship

You will be exalted Oh God - And Your Kingdom shall not pass away

Ancient of Days.     

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 01:08:49 AM »
Amen!  Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!  Glory!
You're welcome to visit http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 01:34:07 AM »
 :cloud9: FL, that is my all time favorite song. I still can't sing it and keep it together, it just breaks me up every time.  :thumbsup:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »
:cloud9: FL, that is my all time favorite song. I still can't sing it and keep it together, it just breaks me up every time.  :thumbsup:

Hi there Cardinal....Some of the little flock will be gathering in a couple of weeks in Dumas Texas where there is worship that will surely include this song.   

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »
 :cloud9: Sounds wonderful, wish I could be there........ :HeartThrob:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »
:cloud9: Sounds wonderful, wish I could be there........ :HeartThrob:

And the Spirit and the bride say come, and let him that is thirsty come and drink of the water of life freely.

I desire that you could be there as well. Perhaps one day, in this present stage of His purposes, we shall indeed sit together at His feet and drink together! Meetings are in Dumas Texas March 20, 21, 22 and we expect the Living One to meet us there again!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 09:20:43 PM by FineLinen »

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 07:17:10 PM »
Robertson Word Pictures Of The New Testament

HERE

Philippians 2:10

That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow (ina en twi onomati Ihsou pan gonu kampshi).

First aorist active subjunctive of kamptw, old verb, to bend, to bow, in purpose clause with ina.

Not perfunctory genuflections whenever the name of Jesus is mentioned, but universal acknowledgment of the majesty and power of Jesus who carries his human name and nature to heaven. This universal homage to Jesus is seen in Romans 8:22; Ephesians 1:20-22 and in particular Revelation 5:13.

Under the earth (kataxtoniwn).

Homeric adjective for departed souls, subterranean, simply the dead. Here only in the N.T.

"I heard every creature – in heaven, on earth, under the earth, in the sea, and all that is in them – singing: "To the one seated on the throne and to the Lamb be praise, honor, glory, and ruling power forever and ever!"

"Because of that obedience, God lifted him high and honored him far beyond anyone or anything, ever, so that all created beings in heaven and on earth—even those long ago dead and buried—will bow in worship before this Jesus Christ, and call out in praise that he is the Master of all, to the glorious honor of God the Father." -The Message-