Author Topic: Jewish use of the euphemism "Hashem" for YHWH  (Read 1090 times)

Yeshua-Song

Jewish use of the euphemism "Hashem" for YHWH
« on: December 05, 2009, 01:20:58 AM »
Many of you probably are curious about this convention.

Jews do not pronounce the name YHWH in the Torah text. They substitute the word for LORD Adonay instead. This is even when they are reading out of the text or saying blessings for ceremonial purposes.

When they are just speaking casually about God, they use the word Hashem, which means The Name. Its use seems to be derived from the verses in Leviticus 24:10-16 that speak of cursing The Name:

Leviticus 24:10-16 (New International Version)

A Blasphemer Stoned
 10 Now the son of an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father went out among the Israelites, and a fight broke out in the camp between him and an Israelite. 11 The son of the Israelite woman blasphemed the Name with a curse; so they brought him to Moses. (His mother's name was Shelomith, the daughter of Dibri the Danite.) 12 They put him in custody until the will of the LORD should be made clear to them.
 13 Then the LORD said to Moses: 14 "Take the blasphemer outside the camp. All those who heard him are to lay their hands on his head, and the entire assembly is to stone him. 15 Say to the Israelites: 'If anyone curses his God, he will be held responsible; 16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him. Whether an alien or native-born, when he blasphemes the Name, he must be put to death.

In the film Nativity Story maybe you noticed that when Joseph blesses the bread (that he later feeds to his donkey!) he uses the word Ado-Shem, which is a more recent Jewish invention combining Adonay and Hashem. Look at about 5' into this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU0vm91Ds1E&feature=related

An Orthodox Jew was used as an advisor to this film and I wrote to him to ask about this wording. He was rather rude to me.

It also turns out that the man who wrote the Aramaic, Hebrew, and Latin dialogue for Gibson's Passion of the Christ worked on Nativity Story as well and in an email he complained about the word "Ado-shem" as an unnecessary invention.

Here are the two advisors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Fulco
http://www.roydoliner.com/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:27:29 AM by Yeshua-Song »

HartleyDamboiseII

Re: Jewish use of the euphemism "Hashem" for YHWH
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 02:52:32 PM »
I am truly sorry YS,

I am a STRONG FIGHTER AGAINST the NIV Because of "their" system of writing a bible that purposely misdirects away from truth...

Write the publisher and ask them how the decisions where made as to what was allowed in "their" bible, you will be blown away with what you learn...

It is a journey you will have to take on your own to understand.

any time you want to quote the bible, check the Concordant Version first to see what the real words mean and you may change your question

Lee

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »
You answered a question I was going to ask you.  I had never heard the word Hashem before.

I had a friend who used to beat on me and say, call him by his name, he wants to be known to us by his name--don't call him 'God'.  'God' could be any god.

I would love to do that--if I knew for sure what his name is.  I love the name, Y'shuah.  I think he wants more intimacy with us rather than less.

Yeshua-Song

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 09:36:32 PM »
You answered a question I was going to ask you.  I had never heard the word Hashem before.

I had a friend who used to beat on me and say, call him by his name, he wants to be known to us by his name--don't call him 'God'.  'God' could be any god.

I would love to do that--if I knew for sure what his name is.  I love the name, Y'shuah.  I think he wants more intimacy with us rather than less.

a prominent rabbi in colorado revealed to me almost by accident that the true way to pronounce YHWH is YaHuWaH.

i have combined this with the name Allah, which is the arabic for Elohim -God, to produce the name YaHuWAllaH.

here is a picture of it on my blog:
http://yeshua-song.blogspot.com/2009/09/blog-post_3433.html