Author Topic: Multiple names thread  (Read 1703 times)

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Multiple names thread
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:47:05 PM »
I think things are (possibly) overlooked because different names are given to the same person, region or object.
In this thread I want to collect such things. I'll compile everything in this first post.

Hermon = Sirion = Shenir = Sion
Hermon: A sanctuary
Sirion:  Breastplate
Shenir: Snow mountain
Sion: Lofty

(Deut 3:9) (Which Hermon the Sidonians call Sirion; and the Amorites call it Shenir;)
(Deut 4:48) From Aroer, which is by the bank of the river Arnon, even to mount Sion, which is Hermon,

Jacob = Israel = Jesurun(Deu 32:15)
Israel is entire nation
Israel = Ten Northern tribes => House of Israel
Ten Northren tribes = Joseph = Ephraim => House of Ephraim

Judah=Kingdom of Judah=2 southern tribes=Jews=modern day Israel

Also see this thread.

Mt. Horeb = Mt. Sinai = Mt. Serabit
More

Jerusalem = Jebus = Salem = City of David = Zion
Jerusalem: Teaching of peace
Jebus: Treshing place  (Also see this thread.)
Salem: Peace
Zion: parched place, sunny mountain

Judges 19:10 However, the man was not willing to spend that night; so he rose and departed, and came opposite Jebus (that is, Jerusalem). With him were the two saddled donkeys; his concubine was also with him
2 Samuel 5:7 Nevertheless David took the strong hold of Zion: the same is the city of David.

Bethlehem = Ephrath

Genesis 35:19 So Rachel died and was buried on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem).

Bethlehem = house of bread.
Ephrath =
1) a place near Bethel where Rachel died and was buried
2) another name for Bethlehem
Calvary = Mt. Olives = Golgotha

Calvary: A skull
Olives: Olive tree, olives
Golgotha: Skull

(place of counting heads)
Gentiles = Dogs

Gentile:
Dog: Someone with an impure mind. In the Jewish mind everyone not being a Jew.
Yom Kippur = Atomement Day = Day of the Lord = The Last Day = The Day of Wrath
Israel = Elect

(Rom 9:6) But it is not as that the word of God has failed. For all those from Israel, these are not Israel,
Feast of Trumpets = Yom Teruah = Day of the awakening blast = Day of opening gates = Last trump = Day of hiding
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:51:51 AM by WhiteWings »
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: Double names thread
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »
 :gthumbsup:

oh yeah...  :thumbsup:

:2thumbs:

Offline Molly

• Gold
Re: Double names thread
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:41:28 PM »

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
Re: Multiple names thread
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:20:35 AM »
Mt. Horeb= Mt. Sinai

Jerusalem=Salem

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:13:35 AM »
Mt. Horeb = Mt. Sinai = Mt. Serabit

Exodus 3:1 Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.

Exodus 17:6 I will stand there before you by the rock at Horeb. Strike the rock, and water will come out of it for the people to drink." So Moses did this in the sight of the elders of Israel.

Located in the Sinai wilderness/desert, Horeb is also a mountain of Sinai.  In fact, it was only in the fourth century A.D. that "Mount Sinai" even existed -- apparently given the name by Greek Christian monks almost two thousand years after Moses.  In modern times, the mountain called Gebel Musa -- "Mount of Moses" -- is now the alleged stand-in for the holy mountain, but Mount Horeb is actually the peak now called Mount Serabit, at a location called Serabit el-Khadim. Link

Many confuse the Mount Sinai (Left of Red Sea) that Moses ascended to receive the Law from the LORD GOD, with the Mount Sinai of Arabia (Right of Red Sea) that is spoken about in Galatians 4:24-25 Link

Link
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 01:29:29 PM »
Temple Mount = mt. Moriah = treshing floor of Ornan = David's stronghold = mountain east of Bethel

The meaning of Moriah is disputed."
- Chosen by Jehova

1. A district in Palestine containing several mountains, on one of which Abraham was commanded by God to sacrifice his son Isaac (Gen. xxii. 2). 2. A mountain at Jerusalem on which Ornan the Jebusite had a thrashing-floor and on which Solomon later built the Temple (II Chron. iii. 1). It is very likely that the Chronicler identified the mountain of the Temple with that of the sacrifice of Isaac, as he points out that Solomon built the Temple on a mountain of a highly sacred character, since Abraham had several centuries previously built there an altar on which the 'Aḳedah took place. Shortly before the erection of Solomon's Temple an altar had been built there by David (comp. II Sam. xxiv. 25). The Rabbis positively identified these two places as the same, naming Jerusalem "land of Moriah" (Gen. l.c.) on account of the Mount Moriah situated therein.

As to the meaning of the name, the Rabbis advanced various interpretations, e.g.: "the teaching-place" (), in allusion to the Temple as the seat of the Sanhedrin; "the place of fear" (), the Temple causing fear to the heathen; "the place of myrrth(; comp. , Cant. iv. 6), referring to the myrrh and other spices which were burned on the altar (Yer. Ber. iv. 5; Ta'an. 16a; Pesiḳ. R. 40 [ed. Friedmann, p. 167b]; Gen. R. lv. 9; Tan., Wayera, 45). It is apparently after the last named interpretation that the Targums of Onḳelos and pseudo-Jonathan (to Gen. l.c.) render  by   (= "land of worship"; comp. Rashi ad loc.). The Samaritan text has , which is rendered by the Samaritan Targum (= "vision"), a reading which agrees with Gen. xxii. 8, 14. In the Peshiṭta the Moriah of Genesis is rendered by "the land of the Amorites," while that of II Chron. iii. 1 is cited as "Moriah"; in the Septuagint the former is τὴν γῆν τὴν ὑψηλήν (=); the latter, Άμωρία.

Modern scholars who distinguish between these two places advance different theories as to the meaning of the word "Moriah." Wellhausen reads in Gen. l.c.  (= "the land of the Hamorites"), i.e., Shechem (see Gen. xxxiv.; Judges ix. 28); Tuch identifies it with the Moreh of Gen. xii. 6, also near Shechem. Both theories agree with the Samaritan tradition that the sacrifice of Isaac took place on Mount Gerizim near Shechem ("Z. D. P.V." vi. 198, vii. 133; comp. Cheyne and Black, "Encyc. Bibl." s.v., and Ed. King in "Hebraica," ii. 93).

(2Chr 3:1) Then Solomon began to build the house of LORD at Jerusalem on mount Moriah, where [LORD] appeared to David his father, which he made ready in the place that David had appointed, in the threshing-floor of Ornan the Jebusite.

Genesis 12:8 And he removed from there to a mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Hai on the east: and there he built an altar to the LORD, and called on the name of the LORD.

Bethel = "house of God"
1) ancient place and seat of worship in Ephraim on border of Benjamin, identified with Luz (former name)
2) a place in south country of Judah, not far from Beersheba and Ziklag

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:08:44 PM by WhiteWings »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:21:04 PM »
Bethlehem = Ephrath

Genesis 35:19 So Rachel died and was buried on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem).

Bethlehem = house of bread.
Ephrath =
1) a place near Bethel where Rachel died and was buried
2) another name for Bethlehem

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »
Calvary = Mt. Olives = Golgotha

Calvary: A skull
Olives: Olive tree, olives
Golgotha: Skull

(place of counting heads)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:08:34 AM by WhiteWings »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:33:03 PM »
Gentiles = Dogs

Gentile:
Dog: Someone with an impure mind. In the Jewish mind everyone not being a Jew.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 05:30:01 PM »
Yom Kippur = Atomement Day = Day of the Lord = The Last Day = The Day of Wrath

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 06:17:26 PM »
Israel = Elect

(Rom 9:6) But it is not as that the word of God has failed. For all those from Israel, these are not Israel,

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:18:18 PM »
Feast of Trumpets = Yom Teruah = Day of the awakening blast = Day of opening gates = Last trump = Day of hiding

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 05:39:40 AM »
Jacob = Israel
Israel is entire nation
Israel = Ten Northern tribes => House of Israel
Ten Northren tribes = Joseph = Ephraim => House of Ephraim

Of two additional names for the person Jacob=Israel I at the moment remember Jeshurun
Deuteronomy 3215, 335, 3326
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »
Thanks. I added it to the OP.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »
Tabernacles = Feast of ingathering = Feast of the Lord = The Feast