Author Topic: "Will" and "Is-Willing"  (Read 1583 times)

Tim B

"Will" and "Is-Willing"
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »
1 Timothy 2:4 (Young's Literal Translation)

4who doth will (Greek: thelo) all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth;

http://www.searchgodsword.org/lex/grk/view.cgi?number=2309

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/1ti2.pdf (says "thelo" is "is-willing")

Ephesians 1:11 (New International Version)

11In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will (Greek: thelema)

http://www.searchgodsword.org/lex/grk/view.cgi?number=2307

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/1ti2.pdf (says thelema is "will")

Although these are two different words in Greek spelling, does anybody know if they have the same meaning? That is, are they BOTH used to signify God's PURPOSE or DESIRE (which, may be, his PLAN)?

Thanks guys!  :bigGrin:

Gab

Re: "Will" and "Is-Willing"
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:02:04 AM »
Yes, the two words are derived from the same root.  It's basically the difference between the English words "act" and "action" - one is a verb; the other is a noun that represents basically the manifestation of the verb.

Also, as an aside, "is-willing" is not the same sense as the English phrase "is willing" - it doesn't just mean that God would really, really like something to happen and would do it if he only could (which is the misleading translation found in several versions like the NIV).  The Greek is referring to an active intention to carry out that which he wants.  It is the same root Greek word as in the famous phrase "thy will be done".

(Oddly enough, the KJV is one of the few to get this right.)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:10:29 AM by Gab »

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 07:52:06 AM »
Yes, the two words are derived from the same root.  It's basically the difference between the English words "act" and "action" - one is a verb, the other is noun that represents basically the manifestation of the verb.

Also, as an aside, "is-willing" is not the same sense as the English phrase "is willing" - it doesn't just mean that God would really, really like something to happen and would do it if he only could (which is the misleading translation found in several versions like the NIV).  The Greek is referring to an active intention to carry out that which he wants.  It is the same root Greek word as in the famous phrase "thy will be done".

:goodpost:

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »

Awesome!  agree Jabcat  :icon_flower:  and   thanks  , Good job Gab  :thumbsup:

:HeartThrob:rose

Tim B

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 05:19:58 AM »
Yes, the two words are derived from the same root.  It's basically the difference between the English words "act" and "action" - one is a verb; the other is a noun that represents basically the manifestation of the verb.

O_O

I'm so glad somebody answered that. It's absolutely beautiful!!  :bigGrin: :bigGrin:

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 05:22:53 AM »
God's will be done.
Simple words!

Offline mplsfitter539

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:29:22 PM »
I recently did a small study on the word "Will". I found this worthy of sharing here on this old post.

The law defines the will of God, but the plan tells us His sovereign will, the heavenly perspective, the bigger picture. The will of God to Pharaoh was to "let My people go." The plan of God was to harden Pharaoh's heart (Ex. 7:3; 10:1) in order to DELAY the fulfillment of His will until ten plagues had judged Egypt. Yes, God always took credit for this. We can disagree with Scripture to our own detriment, but we will not change the facts as they are written.

The New Testament uses two different words that are translated "will." They are not the same, but because the translators did not understand their difference, they have obscured a vital truth in understanding the relationship between man's will and God's sovereignty.

Romans 9:19 You will say to me then, Why does He still find fault? For who resists His WILL [Greek: boulema, "plan, or higher intention"]

Romans 2:17, 18, which says,

17 But if you bear the name Jew, and rely upon the Law, and boast in God, 18 and know His WILL [Greek: thelema, "will"], and approve the things that are essential, being instructed out of the Law . . .
Shema O Israel, Yahweh our Elohim is Yahweh echad!!!

Online micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
I recently did a small study on the word "Will". I found this worthy of sharing here on this old post.

The law defines the will of God, but the plan tells us His sovereign will, the heavenly perspective, the bigger picture. The will of God to Pharaoh was to "let My people go." The plan of God was to harden Pharaoh's heart (Ex. 7:3; 10:1) in order to DELAY the fulfillment of His will until ten plagues had judged Egypt. Yes, God always took credit for this. We can disagree with Scripture to our own detriment, but we will not change the facts as they are written.

The New Testament uses two different words that are translated "will." They are not the same, but because the translators did not understand their difference, they have obscured a vital truth in understanding the relationship between man's will and God's sovereignty.

Romans 9:19 You will say to me then, Why does He still find fault? For who resists His WILL [Greek: boulema, "plan, or higher intention"]

Romans 2:17, 18, which says,

17 But if you bear the name Jew, and rely upon the Law, and boast in God, 18 and know His WILL [Greek: thelema, "will"], and approve the things that are essential, being instructed out of the Law . . .

Very Good. Excellent find and offering...thank you. :HeartThrob: :dsunny:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.