Author Topic: New here! My story and a question: What Bibles do you use the most?  (Read 2588 times)

Sammy

Hello!

Here's my story:

I asked Jesus into my heart a few times from when I was 4 1/2 years old. I prayed every night for a while as a kid asking God to bless everyone,listing everyone i could think of everywhere that could use God's blessings. In second grade I prayed for my chronic nightmares to go away and God said, "In the dream, say 'It's only a dream'". Then that night God gave me a lucid dream in which I said that and all the evil faded away. I didn't have anymore nightmare until I was a teen.

I got into all sorts of trouble as a teenager and got pregnant. My parents sent me to Hawaii to live with my grandparents. When i was 17 I had my daughter and then became born again.  I was so frustrated that no one would take me to
do I got married and had three boys. I was a worship leader for 5 years, and was on another worship team for a few more.

My daughter was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and I was diagnosed less than a year later. A year after that I was diagnosed with Fibromyalia and Insomnia. Later I was also diagnosed with ADHD and Obstructive Sleep Apnea. My daughter got pregnant, married and moved away at 16 and divorced at 18.  I went to college part-time for a few years when the kids were growing up, but had to quit when I became ill. A few years later I had a complete break down mental and physical right after I felt like I was given a scripture by him that said He would be far from me for a time. After this total breakdown, I didn't trust God, I didn't hear from him for about 3 1/2 years, quit church, and I felt very abandoned.

It is about 8 years later- new beginnings, but I still don't trust Him yet. It just hit me a couple of weeks ago out of the blue like a lightbulb above my head, like a flash im my mind with neuro-transmitters firing off wildly, "If God is love, there can be NO hell." I  said to myself that I would abandon every thing except Jesus dieing for me and the Trinity. Then I went on the internet  like I do all day since my illnesses and first found Rob Bell's book, ordered it and got it and read it. I also surfed all kinds of ideas like other religions or pluralism still thinking I would believe in Jesus etc. I found out about universalism from all the criticism of Rob Bell's book.

In this process I found out my husband had decided that he was an atheist.. Surprise!  Thank you, Jesus, that I am a universalist now!  He got saved right before we got married over 25 years ago.  Please pray for both of us that we would get closer to the Lord.

My question to you is: What translations do You use most for studying Greek and all? What study books whatever do You use most? What do you reccommend for me? I use a KJV with Strong's numbers and a small lexicon in it. Specifically what interlinear and lexicons do you reccommend?  Any online program you can't do without would really help me.

Thanks!

Sammy

Sammy

Re: New here! My story and a question: What Bibles do you use the most?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 03:14:30 AM »
What I was trying to say at the top was that I was frustrated that no one wanted to take me to visit the sick and so on cause they thought it was silly. By the time I got a car I was busy with two small chilren.

Later I got the chance.

Sammy :boyheart:

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 05:22:27 AM »

Hi Sammy,
Here's a website with dozens of translations on it:    www.lookhigher.net

I like the Amplified Bible very much but often compare translations one to another.
Some verses are just beautifully phrased in lesser known volumes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 05:30:32 AM by Beloved Servant »

Sammy

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:35:45 AM »
Thank you, Beloved Servant!

Sammy

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Welcome.  King James is beautifully written, but too many problems in it for me personally.

I like Young's Literal, read the Concordant Version a lot.  The Christian Bible (1991)  [the Christian Bible Society]  is a rather good translation but is hard to find, and only available by snail mail.  None of these versions have the mistranslated "hell" in them.

James.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »
Hi Sammy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I use KJV for the Strong and other lexicon links.
The other Bibles I use a TCB, YLT, ACV an science books...  :winkgrin:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Sammy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 01:43:44 PM »
I don't know the abbreviations! What is the best literal translations? And what is a good unbiased lexicon? Mine comes up with fiery torment for Gehenna etc... thanks you guys for helping and for bothering to read my story.
Do you guys go to church? just blend in with the usual suspects, I guess? i am thinking of going to my son's church if he can hack it - a universalist and an atheist. If he can put up with us. that way we can check up on him AND get fellowship!

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
TCB = The Christian Bible
KJV = King James Version
YLT = Youngs Literal translation
ACV = A Conservative Version
CLV = Concordant Literal Version

And many more. (I mainly use free electronic versions)
It's also a matter of prefrence.
Look here to see what you like best: http://www.tentmaker.org/forum/christian_life/list_useful_links_9060.msg112440.html#msg112440
Do you use certain Bible software?

Lexicons:
- Strong: Good but outdated. NT + OT
- Thayer: Based on Strong but expanded defenitions. NT only
- (BDB) Brown Driver Briggs Based on Strong but expanded. OT only
- BestLex: A module I made combining BDB, Thayer and Tense Voice Mood information.

All lexions write torment. An that's correct. Torment is NOT torture.

http://www.tentmaker.org/forum/arguments_against_universal_salvation/eternal_destruction_8531.msg102303.html#msg102303
http://www.tentmaker.org/forum/arguments_against_universal_salvation/to_quote_an_et_pastor_whos_also_greek_teacher_9778.msg124216.html#msg124216
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »
What about Rotherham, any one use it?

CHB

Offline Miriam

• Snr
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 07:36:45 PM »
Yes, I use Rotherham's. And the Amplified for reading rather than study.

Welcome, Sammy.  :bigGrin:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 02:15:29 AM »
Hi WhiteWings, thanks.

CHB

Offline gregoryfl

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 03:51:56 AM »
Those are very good translations indeed. One very literal one which shows the relationships between the Hebrew root words is one I have been working on for the past couple of years so far. I have only gotten to the book of Judges so far, but there are some eye opening things to discover so far.

http://www.originalhebrew.com/original-hebrew-translation.php
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:01:06 AM by gregoryfl »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 07:59:47 AM »
Hi Ron,

That ancient Hebrew font looks so "happy". Dunno why.
It was the way the oldest books were written.
I think Ezra invented the block/square font. Like the current Hebrew font without any accents.
So I wonder if the book of Ezra (and later) was written with the ancient font and then rewritten in the more modern font.

I saw you finshed the whole OT in the old font. Will the final books all be like ron bible.pdf ?
If so will there be versions for Bible programs?

Offline gregoryfl

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 08:59:53 AM »
Hi Ron,
I saw you finshed the whole OT in the old font. Will the final books all be like ron bible.pdf ?
If so will there be versions for Bible programs?

When all is completed, my plans are to have Genesis to Revelation in Ancient Hebrew script, which I have completed already with the exception of adding the missing waw's and yod's where they would have originally existed. Then, I hope to have the finished OHT (Original Hebrew Translation) to look like the ron bible.pdf you looked at, with the addition of another volume functioning as a lexicon showing why I chose to translate each word as I have. As far as Bible programs, I will be making the English only portion of the translation available for Esword, along with the OHL (Original Hebrew Lexicon).

Ron

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »
Great, eSword modules can be converted to TheWord (my favorite) without any problem. Assuming your module isn't password protected.

Quote from: Ron
When all is completed, my plans are to have Genesis to Revelation in Ancient Hebrew script
I believe a large portion of NT was written in Hebrew. But I also think starting from the Book of Ezra the ancient Hebrew font was no longer used. (maybe noine could even read it at Jesus time)
The reason was (as I've read somewhere) that the OT got a bit corrupted by certain (non Jewish) sects. Ezra being the first scribe collected the most trustworthy versions and copied them into the modern Hebrew font (without accents).
I think a historically correct Bible contains lets say 60% ancient Hebrew, 30% 'modern' Hebrew. 9% Greek. 1% other.
All that said it's the English translation that most important to me
Your view Ron?

Offline gregoryfl

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 07:59:41 PM »
Quote from: WhiteWings
Great, eSword modules can be converted to TheWord (my favorite) without any problem. Assuming your module isn't password protected.
Really? I happen to use TheWord as well as my favorite, but did not know how to make Bible modules for it. But if esword modules, including Bibles, can be converted to TheWord, that would be awesome. It would not be password protected. Could you possibly share with me how to go about doing that converting?

I believe a large portion of NT was written in Hebrew. But I also think starting from the Book of Ezra the ancient Hebrew font was no longer used. (maybe noine could even read it at Jesus time)
The reason was (as I've read somewhere) that the OT got a bit corrupted by certain (non Jewish) sects. Ezra being the first scribe collected the most trustworthy versions and copied them into the modern Hebrew font (without accents).
I think a historically correct Bible contains lets say 60% ancient Hebrew, 30% 'modern' Hebrew. 9% Greek. 1% other.
Your view Ron?
From at least the 10th century, it appears that most of Hebrew writing was done in Paleo Hebrew script, even including some portions of scripture found among the Dead Sea Scrolls, such as this portion of Leviticus:

I agree that there were changes made, several of which were done by the Sopherim. In the Ancient Hebrew scriptures, I have reverted all of these changes back to their original readings. And yes, when they went into Babylonian captivity they adopted the Aramaic square script which is today called the modern Hebrew script that most are familiar with.

Yes, the English translation, or, put another way, what the text actually means, in whatever language one uses, is most important. It is for this reason that I am doing all of this, as I will attempt to explain now.

The reason I am using the Ancient Hebrew script for the entirety of the Tanach and the 1st century writings is because I believe that it is the script that was given to man by our Creator. Being pictures and sounds, one can not only say a word, but also tell what that word means by the pictures representing each letter. A word defines itself, and is preserved from man's changing definitions and abstract ideas being introduced, polluting the word. There is such a simplicity to it, yet at the same time, a richness and depth, which even my English translation pales in attempting to plumb them. But it at least gives the reader a starting point.

One example I have shared here before that relates to UR is the Hebrew word 'olam'. This word has been so mixed with ideas that today it does not resemble the simple word picture it originally had, which is a horizon. The word pictures are an eye being guided over the water; in other words, to look at the horizon. The word defines itself. With that as our foundation, if we then just meditate on the characteristics of a horizon we can understand the concept of what olam truly is, both as a noun, and as an adjective.

Ron

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 08:43:03 PM »
Really? I happen to use TheWord as well as my favorite, but did not know how to make Bible modules for it. But if esword modules, including Bibles, can be converted to TheWord, that would be awesome. It would not be password protected. Could you possibly share with me how to go about doing that converting?
Coverting is point and click. The author of TW made that tool. It imports every type of esword module.
http://www.theword.net/index.php?article.tools&l=english

I believe a large portion of NT was written in Hebrew. But I also think starting from the Book of Ezra the ancient Hebrew font was no longer used. (maybe no one could even read it at Jesus time)
Your view Ron?
From at least the 10th century, it appears that most of Hebrew writing was done in Paleo Hebrew script, even including some portions of scripture found among the Dead Sea Scrolls, such as this portion of Leviticus:

10th century AD I assume. That's much much later as I assumed.
Dating of the DDS is a bit disputed but likely parts of it where written during Jesus time. (He is mentioned in DSS)

Yes, the English translation, or, put another way, what the text actually means, in whatever language one uses, is most important. It is for this reason that I am doing all of this, as I will attempt to explain now.

The reason I am using the Ancient Hebrew script for the entirety of the Tanach and the 1st century writings is because I believe that it is the script that was given to man by our Creator. Being pictures and sounds, one can not only say a word, but also tell what that word means by the pictures representing each letter. A word defines itself, and is preserved from man's changing definitions and abstract ideas being introduced, polluting the word. There is such a simplicity to it, yet at the same time, a richness and depth, which even my English translation pales in attempting to plumb them. But it at least gives the reader a starting point.
I was wondering why you used that font. Now I see you have  a very good reason for it :thumbsup:

One example I have shared here before that relates to UR is the Hebrew word 'olam'. This word has been so mixed with ideas that today it does not resemble the simple word picture it originally had, which is a horizon. The word pictures are an eye being guided over the water; in other words, to look at the horizon.
Wow. Never knew that.

You must be very dedicated. I guess you put countless hours in that project.

Offline gregoryfl

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Coverting is point and click. The author of TW made that tool. It imports every type of esword module.

Except the esword 9 bblx ones, which is what my OHT is in.  :sigh: Not sure why that is. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Actually, 10th century BC :) for the paleo Hebrew as far as earliest of anything discovered.

You must be very dedicated. I guess you put countless hours in that project.

Not as much as I wish I could. I can usually get about a chapter or maybe 2 a week if there are not too many new words to decipher. And then there are the mistakes I have to correct from time to time.  :laughing7:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 11:13:03 PM »

Except the esword 9 bblx ones, which is what my OHT is in.  :sigh: Not sure why that is. Am I misunderstanding something here?
Unfortunately not...
It converts all ....x formats except bblx  :sigh:
Cant't you create a .bbl by for example using esword v8 ?
Weird because v7/v8 use Microsoft Acces/Jet database.
v9 uses SQlite which is the TheWord format...but doesn't convert it :P

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:28:50 PM by WhiteWings »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 11:32:23 PM »
Just as a sample:
to convert an eSword 9 topic module (topx) to a TW book, you only need to execut some SQL statements. You can do this as follows:

1. Get an sqlite editor (e.g. sqliteExplorer)
2. Open the .topx file with the editor
3. copy paste the following code (replace the 'My Abbrev' with the abbreviation you want to use in TW)
4. press 'Execute' (F9) in sqliteExplorer
5. Close the file and rename to .twm!

That's all. Of course, after the conversion, you can open TW and update the module to your liking and properly fill in the missing info or create a structured TOC.
If interested, i can post sql commands for the rest of the module types,
Obviously, repeating this for 1000 mods may be harder, but it's very simple to automate. If there is interest i will do.

Sql code to paste:

Code:
create table t(id integer primary key, title text, notes text);
insert into t(title, notes) select title, notes from topics;
drop table topics;

create table topics(id integer primary key, pid integer default 0, subject text, rel_order, content_type string);
CREATE INDEX idx_topics_rel_order on topics(rel_order);
CREATE TABLE content(topic_id integer primary key, data text, data2 blob);
CREATE TABLE config(name text, value text);

insert into config(name,value) values('type',3);
insert into config(name,value) values('user',1);
insert into config(name,value) values('abbrev','My Abbrev');

insert into topics(id, subject) select id, title from t;
insert into content(topic_id, data) select id, notes from t;

drop table t;

Costas

P.S. The above only works for non-encrypted eSword modules. All official eSword9 mods are encrypted, so this will not work (and you shouldn't try in order to respect the author's wish of not tampering his modules)

http://forum.theword.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1119

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 04:05:26 AM »
Gregory,

could you post a couple words in the paleo script and give a short explanation, like owlam?  Pretty please :bigGrin:

Offline gregoryfl

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 05:17:08 AM »
Gregory,

could you post a couple words in the paleo script and give a short explanation, like owlam?  Pretty please :bigGrin:

I have a youtube channel that contains 25 short videos (and growing) where I show the concrete meanings and relationships of various words. I work from what an older form than Paleo, as the letters can clearly be seen as the pictures they are. The one for Owlam is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiXN4t9oMS8&feature=channel_video_title Feel free to pick any other one that might interest you. Here is the main site. http://www.youtube.com/user/gregoryfl#p/u

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 08:07:56 AM »
Good discussion, guys.   :thumbsup:

"Martin Luther once said, "If I were younger, I would want to learn this language [Hebrew], for without it one can never properly understand the Holy Scripture... For that reason they have said correctly: 'The Jews drink out of the original spring, the Greeks drink out of the stream flowing out of the stream, the Latins, however, out of the puddle.'"We can only wonder how Luther would characterize those of us who read the Scriptures in modern English.

The Hebrew phrase "the heavens and the earth" (hashamayim we ha 'erets) is known as a merism, where words coupled together have a different meaning than the individual words. The Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament defines hashamayim we ha 'erets as "all the raw materials needed to make sun, planets, stars, nebulae, galaxies, molecules, atoms." Similarly, Vine and Grudem each equate hashamayim we ha 'erets with "the entire universe" and "entire creation." This further supports the old-earth view that the entire universe–including the Earth, Sun, Moon, and stars–were created prior to the first creation day."

http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/six_days_of_creation.html

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 09:54:41 AM »

Actually, 10th century BC :) for the paleo Hebrew as far as earliest of anything discovered.
Ha! That's much closer to the 538 BCE  had in mind  :laughing7: