Author Topic: Loving God  (Read 1009 times)

iwantmydindin

Loving God
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:00:01 AM »
Hello,folks. I'm starting this topic because i'm interested in motives. Specifically,loving God. I've admitted to myself that i never loved God. I simply wanted peace from him and even that i did not attain. For some time i've been deluding myself. Anyway,what are your motives?

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
Re: Loving God
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:06:37 AM »

we — we love him, because He — He first loved us;

you should always first look to the Bible for answers.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »
 :cloud9: It starts out in an impure motive in all mankind, because the scripture states that ALL men seek after their own things, and not the things which be of Christ.

When I had the revelation that it was impossible for me to love Him properly, because He said you can do NOTHING without Me, I realized I needed His Spirit to perfect my love for Him.

So in effect, I asked Him to give me the love to love Him with. THAT made all the difference; it was no longer my inadequate flesh trying to DO, it was His Spirit making me to BE. My  :2c: Blessings.....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

PaoloNuevo

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »
I agree with Cardinal and Beloved Servant...

God does not demand that we love Him, instead He inspires us to do so by loving us first... Also, He promised that you will seek and find Him if you seek with all your heart. (Jer 29: 13 )

That is a very profound passage, along with its promise. I sought God through "Bible study" and Christian teachings and instructions, but I never really knew the full extent of God's love for all mankind until I dug deeper and found out about the Victorious Gospel...

I am praying that you will be blessed with this passion to get to know God more and if you being to open up to the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ, that will inspire you to love Him all your days like never before.

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »
I must agree with Cardinal.  Most if not all start this journey with selfish motivations.  Personally, I didn't want to burn eternally.  I wanted to go to heaven.  I wanted my life to go well.  I wish I understood the sacrifice of Jesus at the time when he first drew me to him but didn't.  I can't even wrap my mind around that amazing sacrifice now.

What I can say is selfish things are burned out of us by the fire of the Holy Spirit.  We learn to love God as he reveals himself to us.  This is a process and we shouldn't grow discouraged because we are not where we think we should be.  Today, I still have carnal and selfish things in my being.  But, they are less and they show their face less frequently.  When they do pop up I am grieved and repent.  I love God much, because I have sinned much.  I can't understand how God, creator of all things, shows an evil man like myself mercy, love and grace.  Why does God give me good things?  Why has he saved me and blessed me?  Who am I?  And in those questions, I found love and in love I found obedience.  And in obedience I found peace. 

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 06:12:17 PM »
 :cloud9: Good posts, guys.... :thumbsup:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline urpilgrim

• Full
  • Col. 1:19-20
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 08:47:59 PM »
Amen !  well said everybody  :thumbsup:

If believing that God is loving enough, powerful enough, and wise enough to save ALL of His creation makes me a heretic, then sign me up!

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:50:52 PM »

Deuteronomy 6

Love the LORD Your God

1 These are the commands, decrees and laws the LORD your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, 2 so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the LORD your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life. 3 Hear, Israel, and be careful to obey so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the LORD, the God of your ancestors, promised you.

4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.[a] 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

10 When the LORD your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you—a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, 11 houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant — then when you eat and are satisfied, 12 be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

13 Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name. 14 Do not follow other gods, the gods of the peoples around you; 15 for the LORD your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land. 16 Do not put the LORD your God to the test as you did at Massah. 17 Be sure to keep the commands of the LORD your God and the stipulations and decrees he has given you. 18 Do what is right and good in the LORD's sight, so that it may go well with you and you may go in and take over the good land the LORD promised on oath to your ancestors, 19 thrusting out all your enemies before you, as the LORD said.

20 In the future, when your son asks you, "What is the meaning of the stipulations, decrees and laws the LORD our God has commanded you?" 21 tell him: "We were slaves of Pharaoh in Egypt, but the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand. 22 Before our eyes the LORD sent signs and wonders—great and terrible—on Egypt and Pharaoh and his whole household. 23 But he brought us out from there to bring us in and give us the land he promised on oath to our ancestors. 24 The LORD commanded us to obey all these decrees and to fear the LORD our God, so that we might always prosper and be kept alive, as is the case today. 25 And if we are careful to obey all this law before the LORD our God, as he has commanded us, that will be our righteousness."

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 11:10:23 PM »
I think beloved brought up some terrific verses.  Something that gets lost in the mix sometimes is the fact that the Bible also speaks of fearing God.  Loving and fearing.  Hmm...interesting.  Can you love someone you fear?  Some suggest you can't.  But, I know for a fact that you can.  I feared my Dad growing up but also loved/love him dearly.  I knew stepping out of line would bring recourse.  Also, I didn't want to hurt him or disappoint him.  I listened not only because of the rod of correction but because I loved him.  In the same way, we all called to love and to fear God.  How does one love and fear the Lord?  Obedience. 

I am a big believer that if you don't feel love for God that you serve him because you fear him.  That learning obedience through a healthy fear of God is the path to developing love for the Lord.  Maturity in our relationship and spiritual walk brings love.

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 12:01:37 AM »
To be as simple as I can...He is GOOD. And knowing that He loves me as I am, through all the growing up I went through and am still going through bringing me to that same realm as Him All in All, knowingly lost in HIM.
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 01:52:55 AM »

iwantmydindin

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 07:26:19 AM »
Thank you guys for the responses and prayers. I simply want a genuine relationship with God. Honestly,i was pursuing doctrine without first pursuing his love.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 07:32:38 AM »
Revelation.  God is working in your heart.  He's thinking about you, isn't that neat?
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 07:41:41 AM »
I simply want a genuine relationship with God.

Beautiful.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 08:28:49 AM »
maybe not your style, but listen to the words and spirit;  He first loved us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZZQ47wucXk&feature=related
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23