Author Topic: Hello ...  (Read 1471 times)

LS

Hello ...
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:12:21 AM »
Interesting place!

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
Re: Hello ...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 01:33:52 AM »
 :Peace: to all who enter here.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 01:56:33 AM »
May the spirit of Jesus enter here and take preeminence

Any objections?

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 01:59:51 AM »
May the spirit of Jesus enter here and take preeminence

Any objections?

It must be so, else we're just making annoying noises (I Cor. 13)

LS

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 02:17:49 AM »
I have been reading here for a long time and I see most are peaceable and willing to discuss respectfully - I appreciate that. 

A quick question on etiquette - is there a preferred Bible version for scripture passages?

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 02:43:47 AM »

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 03:26:27 AM »
It's nice that you ask, thanks.  As David said, many like the CLT.  Young's is one of my favorites.  Some even prefer the KJV and state God still revealed UR to them even though they read the KJ.  So people share from different versions, really.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 03:54:02 AM »
 :welcome: :newb: :Peace:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline willieH

• Read Only
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 05:27:25 AM »
willieH: Hello and welcome to TM :welcome:

:NewB1: oh, wrong emoticon, I mean... :Urock:

Kick off thine footgear and stay a while!  :beach:

...willieH  :cloud9:

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 06:24:54 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: LS

Best version to quote from is DSS  :winkgrin:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 06:35:07 PM »
WW,
Do you have a link?
And, that would only be a few books, right?
Wow, thanks!!!

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: LS

Best version to quote from is DSS  :winkgrin:
ww, are you back?  I was sure you had gone to see the soccer game.

Welcome, LS!

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 07:02:58 PM »
ww, are you back?  I was sure you had gone to see the soccer game.
Boring. To little voilence for me  :winkgrin:
Just been a little while away to do some job at my parents home.
And of course planting a tree with the knowledge of good and evil. The other one died because of  a curse  :laughing7:
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 07:20:23 PM »

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 07:45:13 PM »
thanks.

LS

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »
WW,
Do you have a link?
And, that would only be a few books, right?
Wow, thanks!!!
Books. More like fragments  :msealed:

http://jewishchristianlit.com/Resources/Texts/dss.html
http://www.scribd.com/doc/26717/Dead-Sea-Scrolls-Translation
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/scrolls/trans1.html
http://www.tentmaker.org/forum/index.php?topic=6862.msg76339#msg76339

There are more complete printed copies; but obvuiously they are not for free.

That last link did not work for me.  I found the others very interesting - I'm familiar with Quamram because some of the Catholic deuterocanonical books rely on them.  Have you read the deuterocanonicals? I'm interested in your opinion on them if you have. 

Anyway, thank you for the links!

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 09:01:11 PM »
The last link is in a part of the forum that requires 50+ posts to access.

Just watched the last 4 minutes of a program on Discovery History.
They mentioned the 'silver scrolls' that predate the 'dead sea scrolls' 400 years.
I Googled a bit. Below a few links you may like.

http://www.crystalinks.com/scrollsilver.html
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Silver-Scrolls,-the-Oldest-Biblical-Texts&id=757479
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Archaeology/jerplaques.html
http://www.yahwehsnewkingdom.com/Yahweh-600BC.htm
http://www.windmillministries.org/frames/RC-silver-scrollsA.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=silver%20scrolls%20bible&num=100

In June 1986 archaeologists of Tel Aviv University announced discovery of two small silver amulets. These two silver scrolls were found in 1979 deep inside a burial cave at a site known as Ketef Hinnom, west of the old city of Jerusalem. They were hidden at the back of the tomb embedded in pottery fashioned as early as the seventh century BC.

Seven years later the fragile scrolls were opened and their texts deciphered. The scrolls contain an excerpt from Numbers 6:24-26, also known as the Priestly Benediction. In English the verses read: "The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace." On the scrolls we find the texts:

Amulet 1: concluding benediction (lines 1419):

"[] May Yahweh bless you [and] keep you. May Yahweh cause his face to shine [on you] ]."

Amulet 2: benediction (lines 512):

"[] May Yahweh bless you and keep you. May Yahweh cause his face to shine [on] you and give you peace []."

The location of the find and analysis of the Hebrew on the scroll confirm a date close to 600 BC, perhaps earlier long before the capture of Jerusalem and the Babylonian exile.

The importance of this find can hardly be overstated. It proves this section of Numbers was written at least 2,600 years ago. This Old Testament passage is 400 years older than the oldest Dead Sea Scroll manuscripts, and perhaps even older yet. The age of the text may prove a nail in the coffin of the Documentary Hypothesis theories that the Pentateuch was not written by Moses, or that it was not even known in Moses' time.

Those theories speculate that large segments of the first five books of the Bible originated in the period of Ezra: 400500 BC. In this debate, some of the arguments revolve around the use of YHWH, the divine name of God (often rendered "Jehovah" or "Yahweh"), which is said not to have been in use before this time. The silver scrolls, dated before 586 BC, contain that name. In fact, this is the earliest the name had been found in any dig in Jerusalem.

Therefore the silver scrolls are not only the oldest extant (still in existence) text of the Bible, they also provide compelling support to the authorship of the first five books of the Bible by Moses.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 09:06:35 PM »
 :cloud9: Fascinating..... :thumbsup:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 09:19:46 PM »
I'm familiar with Quamram because some of the Catholic deuterocanonical books rely on them.
Doesn't the Catholic teaching predate the scrolls by many centuries?

LS

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 09:35:31 PM »
I'm familiar with Quamram because some of the Catholic deuterocanonical books rely on them.
Doesn't the Catholic teaching predate the scrolls by many centuries?
I completely mis-spoke; I was thinking of something entirely different. Sorry!!!  The additional information and links you provided are great - thank you so much!

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 06:56:27 PM »
David & LS,

Not the DDS but still 1600+ years old.
Codex Sinaiticus
Codex Sinaiticus is one of the most important books in the world. Handwritten well over 1600 years ago, the manuscript contains the Christian Bible in Greek, including the oldest complete copy of the New Testament.
(But also includes OT fragments)

On the right of the page there are tabs to switch between English, German, Greek and Russian translations.
For those who read Greek and/or Hebrew: Photo's of every page/fragment are included. With a "zoom bar"

The Early Church fathers

LS

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »
 :thumbsup: That's awesome ... thank you!

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 12:18:16 AM »

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 01:45:12 AM »
 :cloud9:  :thumbsup:

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 07:57:44 AM »
CNN article about Codex Sinaiticus

The New Testament books are in a different order, and include numerous handwritten corrections -- some made as much as 800 years after the texts were written, according to scholars who worked on the project of putting the Bible online. The changes range from the alteration of a single letter to the insertion of whole sentences.

And some familiar -- very important -- passages are missing, including verses dealing with the resurrection of Jesus, they said.