Author Topic: Hello, this looks like an interesting site  (Read 928 times)

orlando02

Hello, this looks like an interesting site
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:25:22 AM »
Hi

I decided to come and visit this site after watching a couple of videos on the tentmaker YouTube channel and being invited to check it out. I am agnostic about God and about religion generally, but from a Church of England background. One thing that is a big stumbling block for me with Christianity is the doctrine of hell, and as far as I can see it is taught in the New Testament, so I will be interested to read more of the arguments on this site as to why I should think Jesus and the Early Christians did not believe in it. As far as I can see one argument is the correct translations of the various passages is Gehenna or Sheol or Hades, but I don't immediately see why that makes it any better. It looks to me like being "saved" from an unpleasant fate after death was central to what Jesus is depicted as having taught (the sheep and goats; if your hand causes you to sin, cut if off etc) and it seems to me that saving us from hell was a key way in which the early church interpreted why Jesus came to earth and died. It looks however like there is a lot of material putting an alternative view on this site.

In actual fact I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the texts on the site and not sure which might be deemed the absolute essentials.

I understand a key idea of this site is that there is no hell. This is also a "universalist" site, right, so you think absolutely everyone is saved - for example, as opposed to thinking some people just die and don't exist before whereas believing in Jesus offers eternal life?

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: Hello, this looks like an interesting site
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:56:34 AM »
Hi Orlando.  This is what some would call a 'universalist' site, but more specifically, this is "Ultimate Reconciliation", or "Victorious Gospel of Jesus Christ" site.  It's not a Unitarian Universalist, or Inclusion site, which would say "all roads lead equally to God", everyone's already A-OK, etc.  Although we're not an organized religion or denomination etc., the prevailing teachings (including the site's owner, Gary Amirault) on TM is that Jesus is the only way to the Father;  that some are saved in this lifetime, the ecclesia;  and that the rest of mankind will be saved following God setting conditions in which every knee will eventually bow and every tongue confess Jesus is Lord (Master). 

There will be much good input.  Thanks for joining.  If you have a large number of questions, maybe start a few new threads as you're doing, then at some point maybe we can consolidate some of your further questions into the few main "orlando threads"  :bigGrin:...we can clearly mark new questions/issues with Bolded, numbered text, etc.  (We've had a few new members start so many threads it was difficult to keep up with, much less give effective feedback and have productive exchange.)  It's a thought, we'll see how it goes.  IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE ASKING VERY GOOD, PERTINENT QUESTIONS SO FAR.   :thumbsup:

Thanks, and welcome. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 12:59:45 AM by jabcat »
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

orlando02

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the welcome and the info. Looking forward to finding out more.

Orlando

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 03:16:12 AM »
 :cloud9: Hi and  :welcome: :newb: :Urock:  :thumbsup:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 05:36:55 AM »
Hi and welcome Orlando.

You question hell.
You already gathered some info on the validity of translation.
You are open to information.

3 very good steps.
Again welcome 'till another thread :thumbsup:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Quaesitor

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »
Welcome brother, have a seat at Jesus' feet and listen with us.

white knight

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:58:33 AM »
Hi orlando02. 

It's really good news. Jesus saves to the uttermost.

death can not stop God's plan. 

rickrussell

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:50:19 AM »
Hey great site and lots of real-to-life posts.(hows my font size)
The kingdom is like a birthday cake. Little Emie said. Mom I want cake.
Mom said OK and set down all the ingredients in front of her. Eggs, Flour, salt, sugar baking soda, Oil.   Emie in suprise shouted. Not like that mom !
Then mom showed Emie how to make the cake. After the frosting was on top Emie could see how wonderfull all that stuff could be when mixed together.
Its Jesus Birthday ! And all members as diverse as we are, make up the Cake.

Thank you , My first reply. Rick r Minneapolis Mn. Got 23 inchs snow last sat. Bitter cold.
Sport dome caved in and I dont care. Yer more important.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:32:26 AM by rickrussell »

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 04:11:49 AM »
 :cloud9: Welcome to the board Rick.....sorry about the dome ;)
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor