Author Topic: Hello, my name is Matt :)  (Read 1238 times)

Offline EdwardTulane82

• Reg
Hello, my name is Matt :)
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:57:04 PM »
Hello :) :NewB1: My name is Matt :) Well, my story is really long and complicated, so I won't go into it at the moment...
I'll just say, to give a very brief summary, that I grew up as an agnostic/atheist, let go of some of my skepticism and explored Christianity in high school, tried to pray, read the Bible, go to church, but after awhile and much struggle got very disillusioned with it, walked away, then made a lot of bad choices, especially in relationships with women, and in general felt very depressed and lost, and often bitter and angry... then I was drawn to Christ, faith in Christ, as a relationship and not just a belief system (as I had felt during high school) through authors like Brennan Manning, Philip Yancey, and Frederick Buechner, among others, who helped me to believe that maybe God, that Jesus Christ, is not only real, but really does care deeply about us and understands us completely, that He loves us and even shares intimately in our shame and our pain through the cross, and has the power to give us new life, just as He rose from the dead... things like that.  :bigGrin:
It was a rough process though, pulling myself away from an addiction to sex, while I started attending church again (Gladstone First Baptist Church, in Oregon, near where I live).
After breaking up with my girlfriend at the time, about two months later I met a girl, a Christian girl, named Kaylyn, who is now my fiancee, and our relationship is wonderful and a huge blessing to me, and I hope to her as well.  :boyheart:
Without sex (we're waiting till marriage, of course, though I'll admit that's really hard for me), it's so much different, learning to love a woman for herself and not just for her body... it's been a challenge at times, but I'm grateful for her.  :bigGrin:
Along with my relationship with Kaylyn (who doesn't attend church with me regularly because she lives in Vancouver, Washington with her mom), there are people I've connected with who have helped me along the way, encouraging me and praying for me, and speaking faith, hope, and love nto my life... and I've had experiences that not only confirm God's existence to me, but, if I'm willing to trust those experiences, His goodness and trustworthiness and love as well...
And in many other ways I feel like God has been there, forgiving me when I fail, picking me back up when I fall, holding onto to me when I've felt like giving up...
Which brings me the rest of my story, and why I'm here...
Over the last five years, though there have been many bright moments, there have been some very dark moments as well. And not just in the area of sin and failure, though there has certainly been a lot of that, but also struggles with fears and doubts, about God, about life, about everything...
I still retain something of a skeptical mind from my days as an agnostic/atheist. And I was an agnostic/atheist who belittled Christians and Christianity, and that mindset can still creep up on me sometimes, that says something like 'aren't these people crazy, and aren't you crazy being one of them?' Also, I have a difficulty with trust. I mean, as you can probably tell from reading this, I'm not afraid to share a lot of things about myself.
But deep trust, where I really let someone in, really let myself connect deeply with someone... that's hard for me...
And these issues really flare up in my struggles with how I view God, who God is, what God is like...
The funny thing is this: by looking at my life overall, I would have to say that the evidence points more than anything towards the fact that God is real and also that God is good, if I take all of my experiences into account. I've known deep emotional agony and have been rejected and had my heart broken, I've been disappointed and let down, I've been wracked with shame and hurt... but overall, just all of the things I have to be thankful for and for the fact that I've somehow come through all those dark times speak to me of the reality and the goodness of God, the grace and the mercy and the compassion and the strength of Christ that so many talk about...
But on the other hand, when it comes to the Bible, or what I hear from people here and there, in church, in books I read... it gets confusing... and especially the Bible (now don't get me wrong, there are many encouraging and deeply beautiful passages in Scripture, but all the stuff about wrath and hell throws me off, and makes God seem like Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde)...
The whole issue of heaven and hell has been a big struggle for me at times over the last five years, along with sovereignty vs. free will, and all those doctrines that have the potential to drive one insane... along with the general anxiety of life, and of feeling broken and messed up and wondering if I'm really accepted and loved by God, if I can really love Him, and really trust Him, and really love other people... and not knowing what to do with my life, not knowing how to fix what's broken, how to make whole what's messed up, and if I can really learn and grow and become all I was meant to be...
You probably all know what I'm talking about...
With the fears and the doubts about God's nature and character that have come up because of what I've read in the Bible in places or have heard elsewhere, and because of all that anxiety, there are times I've gotten very scared or angry with God, or both, screaming and even in cursing at Him, or begging for mercy, crying out for help in desperation like some terrified little boy; sometimes hurting myself, clawing at myself, hitting my head against walls, and crazy things like that...
I'm happy to say that I don't hurt myself like that anymore, because of the support of Kaylyn ('Don't do that!' I love you!'), and others, but I still struggle...
Which brings me here.
I've sometimes wondered, though not often I admit because it seemed too good to be true, if hell was really forever, and if God really could save everyone. I've wanted to believe that, but have been afraid to, because so many say it's heresy, false teaching, or at best wishful thinking. And the Bible doesn't always seem to support it, at least in the one I was reading.
Most would say that it's understandable wanting to believe it, but it just ain't so...
And I have many people in my life, my mom and my sister (who I live with at the moment), my grandma Taj, many friends, many people I've known, who don't believe in Jesus, and I wonder what will happen to them, even as I wonder sometimes what will happen to me... not to mention the millions, no, the billions, or even trillions, who have lived throughout history and never had any kind of real connection with Jesus in their lives...
I mean, I never understood how God could say in the Bible that He wants no one to perish, that He takes no pleasure in punishing people, that He doesn't enjoy anyone suffering, not to mention saying that all things are possible with Him, that nothing is too hard for Him, and yet still give up on many if not most people, and cast them out forever... it doesn't make any sense...
Revelation says there will be no tears in heaven... I've wondered how that could be for us, if we had any awareness of hell, or even how that could be for God...
Wouldn't God be 'crying' forever because of all the people He had lost? And that don't make no sense...  :thinking:
I've felt restless, like one the Jews must have felt when they were exile in Babylon... I've felt like I've been missing something, like something just isn't there... it's hard to explain... maybe it's peace that isn't there... I have my moments, but most of the time, it's not really there inside of me...
Lately I decided to go back to some of the authors who inspired me early on, to see if I could find what I've been missing...
One of the authors I read was Rob Bell. I liked him a lot when I first discovered him years ago, but then a friend of mine from high school (who was, at the time, a big fan of John MacArthur... MacArthur, by the way, played a part in my walking away actually... really frustrating sermon on the radio... I've kept a wide berth from him ever since) rebuked me harshly for sharing one of his NOOMA videos (Rain) with my e-mail list (which included him).
He said that Bell was probably a false teacher, and I should stay away from him. That scared me, so I kind of steered clear of Bell for awhile...
Recently though, I decided to give him another try.
My friend has since changed from what I've heard. His wife, who is on Facebook, says he's mellowed out, and God has really been working in his heart, pulling him away from that legalistic mindset. That and I know he's had many of the same struggles I've had, so I forgive him for being hard on me.  :smile:
Along with that knowledge, and hearing about him here and there and being curious, I checked him out again.
I reread Velvet Elvis (thought-provoking), and then read Sex God (challenging and deep), and watched all 24 NOOMA videos (beautiful series of videos).
I also just finished reading Jesus Wants To Save Christians (very challenging and inspiring), and of course I've read the book that brought me here: Love Wins.  :smile:
I had read all about the controversy online before reading it, and just hearing all the flack he was getting (and also heart-felt defense he was getting here and there) made me want to read it for myself. So I did.
A lot of what he had to say really spoke to me, resonated with me. A lot of the questions and the doubts he voiced were the ones I had or had never found words for.
It was very thought-provoking and eye-opening and hopeful.
But I still had, and have questions.
I recently sent an e-mail to Jackson Baer, an open Christian Universalist, who is about to publish a book called What The Hell, on YouTube, asking him some of those questions. I haven't heard back from him yet.   :mshrug:
I'd also heard about Gerry Beauchemin on YouTube, and watched his video in defense of Love Wins, and also heard about his book. I liked what he had to say (though the Amazing Grace music in the background was a bit cheesy, I have to admit, no offense  :smile:).
I was intrigued, and ordered it, and just got it in the mail today, and have been flipping through it off and on today.
It looks as though he addresses some of the areas that Bell didn't address, but not all of them.
So I came online to see if he did elsewhere, and came across this site, which I think he mentioned at the back of the book.  So here I am.  :smile:
So maybe I could get some more answers here, I'm hoping, and support in this.
To sum up, I really want to believe that this is true. It makes a helluva (pun intended) lot more sense to me, and there appears to be a lot more hope and peace in that view than in the standard one that so many churches teach today, including mine.
Like Rob Bell said, and I agree, it's a much better story.
The one I've been trying to believe honestly just hasn't been working for me, I have to admit. :bsad:
Which is maybe what I've been missing.
That the Good News that everyone keeps talking about really is good, and it's for me and it's for everyone.   :bigGrin:
Honestly, I'm scared. I've told Kaylyn about this, and she's totally open to it and supportive. She says she's always kind of thought that hell wasn't forever herself, though she hasn't talked about it with anyone really. But she's pretty much the only person I've told (not counting Jackson Baer, some YouTubbers, and whoever is reading this).
But as for my friends at church and outside of church who are Christian, and most of whom profess belief in everlasting punishment (though not with any measure of excitement), I haven't broached the subject yet.
Everyone who knows me knows that I struggle a lot with things, but I don't know how they'd react to my stepping in this direction... I'm afraid of their response.  :bsad:
My church is conservative Baptist, and my pastor, though a great guy, sticks to the traditional view, and as far as I can tell, so do all the elders and church leaders.
And lately I've been feeling isolated and out of place there because of my questions and my struggles.
I have found some good friends there over the years. There are people there who have shown me God's love, who have helped me out in many ways... but by and large, because people are busy, or because I'm afraid they won't won't understand what I'm wrestling with, I feel lonely there much of the time... and I don't connect much with anyone there outside of Sundays, except for a small handful of people...
Along with that handful are some close Christian friends outside of my church, and also my Grandpa Allan, and I'm afraid not so much of their rejection but of their questioning, or trying to get me to change my mind, not understanding, and that sort of thing...
I'm not sure how to approach this. I know it's a controversial, even volatile, issue for some, so I'm not sure...
Any suggestions?
I haven't quite made up my mind completely about this. I have a tendency to question everything, especially the things that are most positive (I can be something of a pessimist sometimes), so it's hard for me to accept deep down that this could really be true, and not only that, but so many could be wrong about it, and so few could be right.
I mean, if this is true, I don't mind being called a heretic (well, I do, but you know what I mean), but if it isn't, then I'm just on some wild goose chase after wishful thinking...
Something inside me tells me to keep open to it though...
Well, it's late, and I need to go to bed, and I don't anyone having to read a novel.  :laughing7:
To close, I'll share something that I shared with Jackson Baer in that e-mail:

'I go to a moderately conservative Baptist Church, who have eternal punishment as one of their doctrines. Though this is the case, we're not necessarily fire and brimstone in our teaching or mentality (or at least not most of us, I think).
I have found friends there, some cool people, and though I sometimes feel lonely and out of place there, I know that God brought me there for a reason. Anyways, my pastor, Brian Early, is a pretty cool guy, and I like and can resonate with what he has to say most of the time.
He's smart and compassionate, both encouraging and challenging.
Like today.
He was going through Genesis 22 today, talking about Abraham, and how God asked him to sacrifice Isaac. Brian talked about the nature of faith, and trusting God when we may not understand, and how God is the One, ultimately, who provides, and we can stake our lives and our souls on that.
He finished out his sermon with a quote from Charles Spurgeon, that goes something like this:

'Our Father is too wise to be mistaken,
Our Father is too good to be unkind,
you can't see His plan,
and when you can't trace His hand,
trust His heart.'

I thought that was beautiful and something worth remembering and holding onto, and it really applies to all of this I think, so I'll leave you with that. :)'

Well that's what I shared with Jackson and that's what I'm sharing with whoever is reading.
Thanks for listening and hope to get some responses.  :smile:

:thanks:

Grace and peace to you,

Matthew K. Wiley

"The gospel is about our pain, and His love." - from a dream I had once
"The pain of humanity has become the pain of God." - Dr. Paul Brand
"The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in love."
"These things are impossible for man, but all things are possible with God."

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
Re: Hello, my name is Matt :)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:51:25 PM »
Welcome friend.  I hope you enjoy your stay and find fellowship.   :bgdance:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:01:33 PM »
Took only 30 minutes to scroll through your brief summary :laughing7:

:welcome: and get those summaries comin'  :bgdance:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Lindy

• Full
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:22:20 PM »
Hi, Matt! I'm new here, too, and have already been enjoying some good discussions.

I'm a mom, so here is my heart felt advice to you...take some deep breaths, and relax in God's love. It's real, it's eternal, and it is the core of everything. 

I have a youtube channel myself, tnmamabear, and on it I have all kinds of faved videos on things from UFO's to the new world order and more. I have a Christian playlist, too, but I've held back on putting a lot on it, as I've seen the community of believers on youtube are far and away those who embrace eternal torment type of teachings. I don't get deep into my personal beliefs there, because unlike this forum, the youtube environment seems to encourage a rather cruel interaction, sadly true even among believers.

Here I am finding a place where I can learn from others of like minds, and I think even if we disagree, we can do so in love. At least that's been my impression. I just started posting yesterday, but I came here several years ago in my own search for understanding the truth about hell, and Tentmaker truly helped preserve my sanity!

anyway, I look forward to chatting with you, I'm glad to meet you, and I truly do wish you well in your journey of discovery! God bless!

Offline EdwardTulane82

• Reg
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 12:44:10 AM »
To redhotmagma: Thanks for the welcome  :smile:

To WhiteWings: Haha, indeed. I am certainly not a man of few words.  :laughhand: And thanks for the welcome  :smile:

To Lindy: Thank you for the welcome, Lindy  :smile: Just so you now, I'm 29. Not a boy anymore, but not 30 yet  :Yesss:
But I looked at your YouTube and you said you're 52, which means you're old enough to be my mom.   :smile:
My mom is 55, by the way, so don't feel so bad  :wink2:
Anyways, I subscribed to your channel and left a comment on your wall.  :smile: Feel free to check out my channel too.
I have a couple live videos, but mostly music slide videos I've made.
I've got over 50,000 views for 40 videos, so I must be doing something right.  :Yesss:
Well, I can't say I really believe in UFOs (well, at least not the ones with aliens in 'em... maybe Cold War man-made UFOs... saw some intriguing documentaries about that... and as a side-note, like C.S. Lewis, I'm open to the possibility that God made life on other worlds, but I don't believe it's likely...), and I try not to worry too much about conspiracy theories (read a bit about New World Order on wiki when you mentioned it... interesting stuff, and I'm not totally closed to theories like that, I can certainly see how something like the Tower of Babel could happen again, but I try not to worry), but it's cool with me.   :smile:
Yeah, I agree there's a lot of hate going around. I try to stay out of it myself. I've seen a lot of accusations being thrown at Rob Bell. I think he's just a guy who asks hard questions, thinks outside the box, and is heartfelt and honest.
How does that make someone a heretic or a false teacher?  :dunno2:
But I'm glad I found a place like this, where there are people who are more open to amazing possibilities that so many of us are too afraid to believe or talk about, because it's not tradition or the status quo.
I'm glad to meet you too Lindy :handshake:, and thank you for your welcome and encouragement and kind words  :smile:

May you blessed as well,

Matt

Offline Lindy

• Full
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 12:53:26 AM »
yer welcome, and thanks for the sub, too, lol.

I've seen a UFO, but do not believe for one second it was from 'out there'. Just my opinion, but I suspect what we are seeing is either A. our own secret technology. B. Nephilim having a jolly good time messing with people's heads.  If you do a study on the Nephilim in scriptures, it can make yer eyes pop wide open, like wow!

My beliefs are evolving as I learn and study and grow. The world system around us, natural world, is definitely manipulated. It always has been, but never as it is now. So much going on, you can't help but take another look at prophecy. I try to keep up with what is going on, but honestly the past few weeks, I've slacked off, been more focused on heavenly things along with concern for my mom, who has had two surgeries and is struggling.

I just find so many things in our lives fascinating, even if I don't necessarily believe this or that, it is interesting to me. I'm seriously considering, though, setting up a new youtube channel, one focused on spiritual things, but not sure I'm going to, because of the amazing number of cruel people there. The message can sometimes get lost in the midst of so much hate, ya know?

Anyway, hope you do enjoy yourself here and make a lot of new friends!

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:35:49 AM »
Hi Matt.  I recently (3-4 years ago) was called out of the Southern Baptist denomination (also have an Assembly of God background).  I see some similarities in our stories (though if Lindy's old enough to be your mom, I'm old enough to be your dad -53 next month).

I've been thinking, I myself could be classified as a "conservative heretic"  :laughing7:.  I may start using that as a tag line.  I think some that come into the understanding of UR tend to throw out the baby with the bathwater.  Test all things, hold to that which is true. 

Welcome here, and for this; 
Hello :)... then I was drawn to Christ, faith in Christ, as a relationship and not just a belief system (as I had felt during high school) through authors like Brennan Manning, Philip Yancey, and Frederick Buechner, among others, who helped me to believe that maybe God, that Jesus Christ, is not only real, but really does care deeply about us and understands us completely, that He loves us and even shares intimately in our shame and our pain through the cross, and has the power to give us new life, just as He rose from the dead... things like that.  :bigGrin:

a big  :thumbsup:.  God bless as His Spirit leads you into all truth.  James.
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Lindy

• Full
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 06:39:38 AM »
Hi Matt.  I recently (3-4 years ago) was called out of the Southern Baptist denomination (also have an Assembly of God background).  I see some similarities in our stories (though if Lindy's old enough to be your mom, I'm old enough to be your dad -53 next month).

I've been thinking, I myself could be classified as a "conservative heretic"  :laughing7:.  I may start using that as a tag line.  I think some that come into the understanding of UR tend to throw out the baby with the bathwater.  Test all things, hold to that which is true. 

Welcome here, and for this; 
Hello :)... then I was drawn to Christ, faith in Christ, as a relationship and not just a belief system (as I had felt during high school) through authors like Brennan Manning, Philip Yancey, and Frederick Buechner, among others, who helped me to believe that maybe God, that Jesus Christ, is not only real, but really does care deeply about us and understands us completely, that He loves us and even shares intimately in our shame and our pain through the cross, and has the power to give us new life, just as He rose from the dead... things like that.  :bigGrin:

a big  :thumbsup:.  God bless as His Spirit leads you into all truth.  James.

oh my, I accepted Christ in a southern baptist church, then later went to an assemblies of God church! wow, how cool is it to meet someone with a similar experience like that? lol.  Just thought I'd tell ya I have enjoyed reading your posts here, Jabcat.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 06:56:26 AM »
That's awesome.  I felt a reason to say that :)

Thank you for the encouragement.  Sometimes I think I say too much, have been quieter lately.  Will join in from time to time.  Thanks again, God bless.
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline EdwardTulane82

• Reg
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:46:09 PM »
To Lindy: Cool  :bigGrin: When I have some time I'll try to take a closer look at your site.  :smile: Feel free to comment on any of my videos.  :smile:
Yeah, I've kind of had the same thought about UFO's, though I've heard more about the first idea.
About the Nephilim, my pastor said in a sermon awhile back that he thought that they were just great men of influence ('mighty men of renown) in their time, though he did address how some believed they were the offspring of fallen angels and human women, which he disagreed with... and I can see where he's coming from. Angels are spiritual beings, not physical, as far as I know, so I don't think they could mate with women anyway.  :mnah:  By the way, where else are they mentioned in Scripture other than Genesis? Can't remember seeing them pop up anywhere else...  :search:
yeah, I admit I'm clueless most of the time about what's going on... I see the news sometimes, and read articles in the paper, and hear about stuff from my mom (who does keep up), but I don't really keep track...
I know that a lot of people think that the end is coming soon, and have their predictions, but I remember how Jesus said that no one knows the day or the hour except the Father, and also that it would be like in the days of Noah when it all happens... I know things are bad now, but they could be even worse.
I mean, in the days of Noah, only one family, Noah's family, had a relationship with God... and the rest of the world was just doing their own thing, running in the opposite direction...
It must have been utterly insane, must have been hell really, the way things were, for God to wipe everyone off the face of the earth and start over again (on a side note, the fact that God was grieved at what the world had become, says to me that God did not enjoy sending the flood, but did it for a purpose, to cleanse, to change things, to make things new... which I believe is also the case with the end times too... and I'm beginning to believe that all those people who lived in between Adam and Noah will come back to God too, along with everyone else)...
My guess is it will be just as bad when the end comes... but that's just my view, I could be wrong.  :smile:
I'm sorry to hear about your mom... my fiancee's mom, Kim, is going through cancer right now, and has a surgery coming up soon. So I'll pray for your mom and you can pray for her's.  :smile:
Yeah, I was gonna say, I've always been intrigued with legends, especially mythical creatures and artifacts and the like. Unexplained stuff, you know. Not that I believe much of it, if any of it, is true. It's just interesting.  :smile:
I must say that the whole alien thing and the whole ghost thing just bores me though. It's overplayed.  :rolleye:
Yes, the internet can be a cruel place. People can feel really bold safe behind their computer screen.  :bsad:
And we need to always keep in mind that the way God wants us to live applies just as much in the virtual world as it does in the real world. Hard act to follow to be sure, but worth remembering.  :smile:

Thank you for subscribing to my YouTube, and thanks for the good wishes.  :smile:

To Jabcat : Thanks for the welcome, Mr. Jab  :smile: Haha, I guess I got me some new parents.  :bigGrin:
I could always use some more, ya know.  :wink2:
So what do you mean by conservative?  :smile:
Haha, my pastor uses that line all the time: 'don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.'  :smile:
Thanks for the advice, and for the encouragement.  :smile:

Blessings to both of you  :Peace:

Offline EdwardTulane82

• Reg
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 01:05:54 PM »
Oh, and by the way, Jackson Baer wrote me back.  :2thumbs:

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 02:21:55 PM »
yer welcome, and thanks for the sub, too, lol.

I've seen a UFO, but do not believe for one second it was from 'out there'. Just my opinion, but I suspect what we are seeing is either A. our own secret technology. B. Nephilim having a jolly good time messing with people's heads.  If you do a study on the Nephilim in scriptures, it can make yer eyes pop wide open, like wow!

My beliefs are evolving as I learn and study and grow. The world system around us, natural world, is definitely manipulated. It always has been, but never as it is now. So much going on, you can't help but take another look at prophecy. I try to keep up with what is going on, but honestly the past few weeks, I've slacked off, been more focused on heavenly things along with concern for my mom, who has had two surgeries and is struggling.

I just find so many things in our lives fascinating, even if I don't necessarily believe this or that, it is interesting to me. I'm seriously considering, though, setting up a new youtube channel, one focused on spiritual things, but not sure I'm going to, because of the amazing number of cruel people there. The message can sometimes get lost in the midst of so much hate, ya know?

Anyway, hope you do enjoy yourself here and make a lot of new friends!

I was listening to a youtube the other day, and the guy said "by the way, that spaceship at the 1984 Olympics was real.  It was operating under its own power."

I said to myself--what spaceship at the 1984 Olympics?

Sure, enough--there was one there.  The announcer says it's hundreds of feet above the stadium.  At one point, he says it's 1000 feet high.

They even had a visit from an 'alien.'   He's 7 feet 8 inches tall according to the announcer. 

Here's a video of the closing ceremony, 1984 Olympics.

Hi Matt!  Welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCYElo49dJI

Offline EdwardTulane82

• Reg
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 02:55:56 PM »
To Molly : Hi  :smile:  :thanks:

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 08:04:08 PM »

To Jabcat : T
Haha, my pastor uses that line all the time: 'don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.'  :smile:

With the liberty of UR and the realization that mainstream Christianity has been wrong about many things, I believe some then go way far by throwing out even some things that IMO, still need to be held fast to.  Example;  many start denying huge chunks of scripture, even some basic concepts in them;  that they're inspired, necessary; questioning the need for the cross, the need for Christ's sacrifice [saying it wasn't even a sacrifice, it was "an example", etc.];  people that believe in ET aren't saved;  on and on.  I believe we need to be careful, on guard, sensitive to the Holy Spirit's quickening - because deceivers abound.

I still believe in "holy living" (separated, set apart) - not through our own effort, but through obedience to Him, being open and yielded to Him to work His good works through us.  That may even mean things like "not cursing, getting drunk, lying, being deceitful, sexually immoral..."  GASP!   :bigGrin:   Again, not self-righteous, holier-than-thou works based attempting to earn our salvation, but still, not saying "well, yippee, I'm free to do or believe absolutely whatever - everything the church said was wrong, we'll all end up in heaven anyway".  I believe people need to get saved, believe on Jesus for salvation, spiritual new birth;  not all are already saved.

Now, short answer;  "conservative" - (in the words of a song) "I believe in the Blessed Hope (Jesus), the Book and the Blood, and there is no other way". 

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:55:26 PM by jabcat »

Offline Lindy

• Full
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »

To Jabcat : T

With the liberty of UR and the realization that mainstream Christianity has been wrong about many things, I believe some then go way far by throwing out even some things that IMO, still need to be held fast to.  Example;  many start denying huge chunks of scripture, even some basic concepts in them;  that they're inspired, necessary; questioning the need for the cross, the need for Christ's sacrifice [saying it wasn't even a sacrifice, it was "an example", etc.];  people that believe in ET aren't saved;  on and on.  I believe we need to be careful, on guard, sensitive to the Holy Spirit's quickening - because deceivers abound.

I still believe in "holy living" (separated, set apart) - not through our own effort, but through obedience to Him, being open and yielded to Him to work His good works through us.  That may even mean things like "not cursing, getting drunk, lying, being deceitful, sexually immoral..."  GASP!   :bigGrin:   Again, not self-righteous, holier-than-thou works based attempting to earn our salvation, but still, not saying "well, yippee, I'm free to do or believe absolutely whatever - everything the church said was wrong, we'll all end up in heaven anyway".  I believe people need to get saved, believe on Jesus for salvation, spiritual new birth;  not all are already saved.

Now, short answer;  "conservative" - (in the words of a song) "I believe in the Blessed Hope (Jesus), the Book and the Blood, and there is no other way".

well said!   :high5: :happyclap:

Offline EdwardTulane82

• Reg
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 02:14:23 AM »
Jabcat: Oh, so that's what you meant.  :smile: I totally agree with you. :smile:
I gave the belief in universal salvation a wide berth for awhile, cuz the couple people who proposed it that I'd read were throwing out other doctrines too, like the Trinity for instance.  :mshrug: That and they seemed a bit off... which made me uncomfortable...
But I'm finding out that not everyone is like that, or not even most.  :smile:
We may be on the cusp of a second Reformation, but just like when Luther and others challenged tradition and the status quo back in the day, questioning the whole salvation by works mentality, and some took it too far, the same will happen with this.
I guess if I embrace this, like you I'll be a 'conservative heretic' too.  :laughhand:

Thanks for the response  :bigGrin:

Offline onlytruth

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 02:23:11 AM »
Hi ...I'll go one step further,and say it will be like....Jesus showing up and the religous of the day wanting to do away with him and not giving him the time of day!
by the way welcome
blessings :icon_king:

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 02:32:09 AM »
 :dsunny: :welcome: Matt :HeartThrob:  Hope we can learn together.
Southern Baptist: ck, Freewill Baptist: ck, Assembly of God: ck, Holiness: ck, Oneness: ck, UR: ck.
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline EdwardTulane82

• Reg
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »
To onlytruth: Yeah, it could be like that too...  :bsad: Thanks for the welcome  :smile:

To micah7:9: I hope so too  :smile: