Author Topic: Hello from Nova Scotia  (Read 1845 times)

DougC

Hello from Nova Scotia
« on: May 28, 2008, 06:07:38 PM »
Greetings all,
This is my intro so will be short and possibly sweet  :laughing7:
I found this site sometime ago while searching the internet.I don't go to church anymore so I tend to read alot on line. I'm a middle age male in eastern Canada.No not Newfoundland :laughing7:I'm really interested in what people here believe as far as earthquakes,Tornadoes and the like.Does God control this or does He have nature on auto? thanks and ya'll have a great day,Doug.

Offline 97531

• Restricted
  • Truth is Freedom
    • Father's Love Forum
Re: Hello from Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:57:55 PM »
Hi Doug
:welcome: to Tentmaker forum

Nature - Auto pilot, IMO

Blessings
My Blog       Father's Love Forum - New
IHWLAMAHOB
Christian Milkshake: Pressed down, shaken together and more than we can hope for

Offline onlytruth

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:15:32 AM »
hi doug
im on the other end in bc
nice to see some more canucks
"the earth groans for the sons and daughters to be released"
blessings in the kingdom :icon_king:

Johnny 27

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 05:03:43 AM »
Hi Doug,

Just to let you know that you are not alone out in this North Atlantic paradise, "best kept secret" - I too am from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Welcome to you Doug!

John

jabcat

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 03:51:15 AM »
Welcome Doug.  Good questions wrt God's involvement.  I certainly don't claim to understand every "why" and "how", but IMO, if we attempt to get our answers from scripture, those are the questions, not "if".  Scriptures are abundant that seem to indicate God is not "hands off" or has lost control of His universe.  To say so would diminish God's sovereignty, which I realize, some attempt to do. To my understanding I say absolutely God is involved, not auto or things just taking their course as if He set it in motion, then stepped away from it.  Natural disasters are part of the "present evil age" and not a permanent part of God's eternal will and nature. "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes" (Prov 21:1).  IMO, the deistic belief that God created the universe then just left it alone wouldn't fit with the whole of scripture in any sense. Exod 4:11 says, So the LORD said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the LORD?"

IMO, there is a purpose for our pain, and a hope and promise that good ultimately comes from it.  As Job shows, God IS in control; there is a reason and purpose behind our suffering, even if we can't figure it out. As onlytruth said, creation groans for the redemption...

If only we would take the time to first read, then meditate on these beautiful scriptures:

Job 40: 6  Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm and said,
    7"Now gird up your loins like a man;
         I will ask you, and you instruct Me.
    8"Will you really annul My judgment?
         Will you condemn Me that you may be justified?

Job 38:1  Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said,
    2"Who is this that darkens counsel
         By words without knowledge?
    3"Now gird up your loins like a man,
         And I will ask you, and you instruct Me!
    4"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
         Tell Me, if you have understanding,
    5Who set its measurements? Since you know.
         Or who stretched the line on it?
    6"On what were its bases sunk?
         Or who laid its cornerstone,
    7When the morning stars sang together
         And all the sons of God shouted for joy?
    8"Or who enclosed the sea with doors
         When, bursting forth, it went out from the womb;

10And I placed boundaries on it
         And set a bolt and doors,
    11And I said, 'Thus far you shall come, but no farther;
         And here shall your proud waves stop'?

12"Have you ever in your life commanded the morning,
         And caused the dawn to know its place,
    13That it might take hold of the ends of the earth,
         And the wicked be shaken out of it?
    14"It is changed like clay under the seal;
         And they stand forth like a garment.
    15"From the wicked their light is withheld,
         And the uplifted arm is broken
    16"Have you entered into the springs of the sea
         Or walked in the recesses of the deep?
    17"Have the gates of death been revealed to you,
         Or have you seen the gates of deep darkness?
    18"Have you understood the expanse of the earth?
         Tell Me, if you know all this.
    19"Where is the way to the dwelling of light?
         And darkness, where is its place,

22"Have you entered the storehouses of the snow,
         Or have you seen the storehouses of the hail,
    23Which I have reserved for the time of distress,
         For the day of war and battle?

24"Where is the way that the light is divided,
         Or the east wind scattered on the earth?
    25"Who has cleft a channel for the flood,
         Or a way for the thunderbolt,
    26To bring rain on a land without people,
         On a desert without a man in it,
    27To satisfy the waste and desolate land
         And to make the seeds of grass to sprout?
    28"Has the rain a father?
         Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
    29"From whose womb has come the ice?
         And the frost of heaven, who has given it birth?

1Peter 1:6 begins... In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials..Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls".

Do I understand it all?  Absolutely not.  But IMO, when we reject things just because we don't understand them, then we begin, in our own minds, to limit God and attempt to re-create Him in our image...and He's just too big for that.  And that will only be revealed to some at the sifting.

God's blessing, James.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:30:37 AM by jabcat »

joyful1

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 06:58:26 PM »
Jabcat-- You quoted:
That just hit me right in the heart! WOW! That really puts it all into perspective! Thanks for posting it.
DougC, I'm new here too.....Maritime Canadian/American here. Hey...I still count...right? I married a Canadian!  :dontknow:

martincisneros

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 12:21:43 AM »
As far as earthquakes, tornadoes, flooding, and other natural disasters, there's several things up with those things:

1. they can be the result of sin, plain and simple.  Sodom and Gomorrah, Pompei, Thera (aka Atlantis) and various other places have been blown totally sky high because of their sin;-- some of it would be God's judgment, but a larger part would be what God told the Israelites when they were about to take the promised land, that because of the sin of the original inhabitants of the land, the earth was spewing/vomiting them out in total disgust.  After the application of the Blood of Christ to both the earth and the heavens, St. Paul re-interprets these things as the creation groaning and travailing for a manifestation of those of us who are conformed to the image of Christ.  A lot of Pentecostals take Joel chapter 2 as a blue-print for having times of special visitation from the Lord when His power is poured out and as a result there are special Church revivals that touch the community and renew interest in the Scriptures.  Romans 8 says that the earth likewise weeps and wails for those special revelations of Jesus Christ upon and through those who've embraced His Lordship.  Sometimes I've wondered if droughts and famines are the earth's own way of fasting along with it's groans and travails for Christ to intervene.

2. some of these things are necessary to rotate the soil when farmers neglect Biblical principles about crop rotation, letting sections of the land rest a sabbatical year, etc.  To prevent unspeakable famine, God has to allow the earth to recharge the soil, and the proper bacteria and other factors can re-enrich the soil with nutrients through some of these catastrophes -- particularly the earthquakes, tornadoes, and flooding issues.

3. some governments and universities have brought upon us some of these evils with experiments with E.L.F. technology (i.e. extremely low frequency) aimed at the core of the earth, the soil, the sky, etc.  Some of the nuclear technologies can account for some of this as well.

4. I can't get into this very far for certain reasons that I can't get into, but there's a relationship between the stars and the planets -- not in the goofy astrological sense, but in other ways.  Gravitation isn't the only way that the planets, stars, and quantum phenomenon effect the weather.  Our weather technology (i.e. for predicting weather) is only going to acheive a reasonable degree of perfection when we've finally taken into account the sun and all of the nearby planets and their moons and other nearby objects.  There are several atmospheric relationships, additionally, that aren't understood as well as they will be eventually.  The jury's still out on some of the research that's been going on, but eventually we'll be able to predict the weather around 4 weeks in advance with a surprising degree of accuracy.

jabcat

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 01:50:07 AM »
Jabcat-- You quoted:
That just hit me right in the heart! WOW! That really puts it all into perspective!

It's touching and humbling isn't it?  God bless you.

Offline Pierac

• Bronze
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 07:02:55 AM »
Not another from Nova Scotia! One is enough!  :mshock:

Hi Doug,

:welcome: to the Tent!

Paul

DougC

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 03:14:48 PM »
Good Morning All,
Thanks for all your reply's,appreciate the time you took and the thought you put into it.
 I'm always a bit leery reaching back into the OT to answer questions
about whats going on today.I'm not saying I'm right but seems to me Christ made some changes since then.( just as a foot note,I found it interesting that Sodom and Gomorrah will be restored,not that it fits in here,just a comment and it helps back up UR if using the OT  :Sparkletooth: 
I'm still learning about UR and trying to believe that Gods' not waiting to zap me or find out that i didn't quite make it :(.( my childhood and my salvation in a Fundamentalist church in my 20s' have given me more fear than anything else.Performance,performance,performance.sheesh.and I was always such a bad actor.)Any who, to all you fathers out there..
"Happy Fathers Day" I'm blessed with 3 great children. May God Bless You all. Doug