Quoting 'Purpose of this Board" -
Let us magnify the One who saved us.
Start a thread here and testify of How Great God is.
Both times I read Comon Folks, I read it as "common folks"
which is what I am!
God IS truly GREAT!! (I know you agree:)
I don't often talk about myself, or at least I don't think I do. I consider my testimony, or being found of God, to be perhaps a little different as I didn't come by it in a church or by a 'church' program or anything like that.
I suppose I should put just a little here of what things i suffered in this world as a child. I won't spend long on it tho! One of my 1st memories is of my head being held under water. I can hear my father say "that's enough hon". Verbal abuse was daily and rampant for us all, i was 1st-born, got all the chores, never sufficient however. Each parent had their own abuses. I had repressed memories. B'cause of sexual abuse of my father, by time of age, drank excessive, drugs, and involved with most males who crossed my path, or so it seemed. Very, if not totally dysfunctional. Do believe if not saved 34 years ago, would have died one way or another, at very least serious drug addict and alcoholic.. perhaps would have fallen into prostitution, don't know. Not happy about all those.. also know many others have suffered as much and more.
God, and Jesus saved my life! (As they always do.)
It all began kind of slow. I had (again) really messed up, and would have lost my boyfriend, now husband of 33 years
- He was heading to Colorado. And I decided to go with him. We lived in a suburb of Denver. I remember 'deciding', "there must be more to life than the daily hum drum". I started going to all the libraries in and around Denver and studying the world religions. I also ended up studying meditation and astrology (bear with me, please).
- We used to go camping about every weekend up into the foothills. I was sitting alone, at the side of a hill/mountain, when it seemed as though I could see a thought come drifting across the very blue sky, and it hit me in the head! Yes,
it hit me in the head. The thought said "you've been learning about all the forces at work in the universe" (astrology) "what of the force which created the universe? and what if that force has consciousness?" - It was like a bright light turned on, and I said "God!!" And from that point I could feel His Presence, as though He was someone I had always known, but had been unaware of. Or that is, I felt His Presence when in the mountains.. then back to town.. not so much. So it went, back and forth for a little bit.
- Until one day I found this Bible tract "God's Great Plan of Salvation" which I read. No one else was home that day, which was unusual. I read it 4 times, said the salvation prayer 4 times. After the 4th time I prayed "can this be true? for me?" At that very moment, a bright ray of light came shining through a one inch gap in the curtains - the sun was setting down over the mountains which we could see in the distance out that window. Over the mountains, through an inch gap, streaming across the room and filled the off television screen with a bright 8 rayed star. As it happened this was my meditation symbol I had been using in meditation classes. I later of course found this to be the star the 3 wise men followed (astrologers from the east) and the star we see every Christmas, somewhere or another. I took that to be a yes, even for me, answer to my question.
- Of course, I gave up all the other stuff, and now I began to read the Bible, especially the New Testament. I tried going to a church or churches, but many things bothered me.. was my attitude to be love? or stern-ness so one would see their guilt and need of salvation-which was what I was feeling from the churches. I prayed about it and love easily won out. Also was that little matter of 'hell', which I could never believe in. Some door to door watchtower folks got me looking in the right direction over that one. But the idea one MUST join their group was obviously not right. But I did happily adopt their idea of an earthly return of Jesus, and paradise restored to earth and not a sort of floaty 'heaven'(could never get my teeth into that one).
- Mostly church would find me conforming to every one, and I considered they were far more worldly than I, and I did not want to conform to that! So i began my set course of being a semi hermit - I can say that only because I caught the tail end of the housewife train and was a stay at home mom, and now an at home gramma.
- I consider it a miracle i've been able to be happily married for 33 years and raised 2 well adjusted kids. A true miracle. I also, after coming to the Lord, after 15 years of not seeing my folks reconciled with my parents. Yes, because of Jesus I was able to forgive and love, and pray for them, and they changed somewhat over the years. They are both short, little people and I love them so! I feel more like their parent tho, with a very tender and gentle love for them. (My dad died two years ago, and he never did apologize but he did come to believe in the reality of Jesus and was a much kinder soul, tho far from perfected, of course.)
Well, that's about it.. except for the 2 questions my son asked me 17 years ago - "why was the tree of knowing good and evil in the garden?" and "isn't it great we get to be an ant farm?"
- I answered his questions but wasn't satisfied with those answers, so I prayed earnestly (like I had years ago, over the Bible and a list of questions
) - I had been a pretty solid christian up til then, but zowie~! the answers just knocked my socks off! to the point they are still knocked off. And the answers God gave me came all at once and ended with a question to me: "why did God wait so
long, and create the universe and man and woman, not only after the 1st bound to occur rebel thought occurred, but after it had fully matured into outright sedition and trickery?"
So yes, I agree, God truly IS GREAT!! And His Goodness is past even knowing and searching out! Heart cannot conceive of all the good He has planned for all those who love Him! The goodness, richness, wonder, and Glory of Him who will fill all in all.. and because He is perfect (or else He too would fade) the 'end' result of all this, life as we presently know it, and human history, can ONLY BE, THE BEST ONE POSSIBLE.
May God richly bless all who are here at Tentmaker, and bless the all inclusive and liberating gospel, which truly is, GOOD