Author Topic: what to you think, when will hell leave the first mainstream bible?  (Read 579 times)

Offline sven

the Luther Bible from 1545 translates 58x with hell in the Old Testament
the Luther Bible from 1912 translates similar like the KJV with grave, hell etc.
finally in 1984 hell left the Luther Bible at least in the Old Testament

the Luther Bible from 1912 says in the explanation hell is the place of eternal torment
the Luther Bible from 1984 says in the explanation hell is literally the Valley of Hinnom

the old Darby/Elberfelder Bible only translated gehenna with hell, saying it is the future place of eternal pain in the preamble and that Luther was fatally wrong translating sheol and hades with hell.

so the difference of hell in Luther and Darby/Elberfelder might be about 80 (58x in the OT, about 20 - hades and gehenna in the NT) to 12 (this should anyone make thinking)

i don't know what is the most common bible in America beside the KJV, here it is Luther and Darby/Elberfelder and maybe some modern quite non-literal translations.

what do you think, will it ever happen, that a common widespread translation won't translate gehenna with hell any longer?

there is another interesting point about the german Darby translation, in the revision of 1985, this translation had footnotes concerning aion at all occurances saying that it means literally age, gr. Aeon; ages of ages etc. when translated with eternity or from eternity to eternity

i think there was a controversion about the revised Darby/Elberfelder cause it used a text-critical greek text, there has been an inofficial revison of the revised Elberfelder by evangelical christians and i've read that they removed all footnotes concerning aion

the Darby/Elberfelder bible could be the first german translation i can imagine that will ban hell out of the complete bible, like they did with the old testament over a hundred years ago.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:35:47 PM by sven »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Re: what to you think, when will hell leave the first mainstream bible?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »
http://www.what-the-hell-is-hell.com/HellStudy/HellChart.html

There are many Bible that never had the word Hell in them.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline sven

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 07:14:01 PM »
but i quess they are not mainstream, so i should have asked, when will hell leave the King James Bible?

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »
The modern versions of KJV have less hell in them. Same for NIV and NASB IIRC.
But when it leaves.
I guess at least a decade because new translations aren't released very often.

I think it depends a lot on how fast UR grows. Most people most likely only want a Bible that translates exactly as what is said in sermons. The 'UR Bibles' are around for some time so I think it's safe to say all translators know about them. How can a Catholic Bible claim there is no hell when the pope says there is hell.
So besides pure translation there are many factors involved. Including sales...
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline sven

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »
I think it depends a lot on how fast UR grows.

not necessarily UR, a growing belief in annihilationism would be enough, when more and more people, maybe get to know via internet - that what is translated hell is just the name of a valley.

martincisneros

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 04:13:23 AM »
Annihilationism isn't the least bit different from ET by any remote stretch.  Both paint the picture of God wiping His hands of someone forever.  It says that God doesn't believe in spanking harshly, but He does believe in lethal injection. :dontknow:

This century ET will leave mainstream Bibles.  As far as the KJV, we just honestly need one more public book burning.  The other Martin's language would be cleaner about the KJV than mine would be. :icon_jokercolor: