Author Topic: What is His name?  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
Re: What is His name?
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »
 :cloud9: His name also means "supplanter" or "heel-catcher".
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

whyiloveitaly.com

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 07:46:04 PM »
Interesting thread title.. I thought it was in reference to Hannah Whitall Smith's writing "The God of All Comfort, ch.2 -- What is His name?"
I have a couple of lines from it to share, and since it seems to fit in with the title I'll copy it below:

"In Bible language name always means character. Names are not given arbitrarily there, as with us, but are always given with reference to the character or work of the person named. Creden in his Concordance says that the names of God signify that which He really is, and are used throughout the Bible to express His attributes, and His purposes, His glory, His grace, His mercy, and His love, His wisdom, and power, and goodness. A careful study of His names will make this plain.

When, therefore, the children of Israel asked, What is his name? they meant, Who and what is this God of whom you speak? What is His character; what are His attributes; what does He do? In short, what sort of a being is He?

The psalmist says, They that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, Lord, hast not forsaken them that seek thee. And again he says, The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous runneth into it and is safe. They that know thy name will put their trust in thee. They cannot do anything else, because in knowing His name they know His character and His nature, that He is a God whom it is safe to trust to the uttermost. And there can be no doubt that a large part of the unrest and discomfort in so many Christian hearts comes simply from the fact that they do not yet know His name.

"These simple words, I am, express therefore eternity and unchangeableness of existence, which is the very first element necessary in a God who is to be depended upon. No dependence could be placed by any one of us upon a changeable God. He must be the same yesterday, today, and forever, if we are to have any peace or comfort.

But is this all His name implies, simply I am ? I am what?—we ask. What does this I am include?

I believe it includes everything the human heart longs for and needs. This unfinished name of God seems to me like a blank check signed by a rich friend given to us to be filled in with whatever sum we may desire. The whole Bible tells us what it means.

Every attribute of God, every revelation of His character, every proof of His undying love, every declaration of His watchful care, every assertion of His purposes of tender mercy, every manifestation of His loving kindness—all are the filling out of this unfinished I am.

God tells us through all the pages of His Book what He is. I am, He says, all that my people need : I am their strength ; I am their wisdom ; I am their righteousness ; I am their peace ; I am their salvation ; I am their life ; I am their all in all.

This apparently unfinished name, therefore, is the most comforting name the heart of man could devise, because it allows us to add to it, without any limitation, whatever we feel the need of, and even exceeding abundantly beyond all that we can ask or think." -End quote.

Blessings to all,
Brian

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 07:47:01 PM »
:cloud9: His name also means "supplanter" or "heel-catcher".

Hi Card , thats  
how i have always known  it ,  Jacob  meaning  heel -holder, supplanter .

By the way WW , Tony is the one who so graciously   sent the  list , I simply placed  it in this tread .
Jesus is the reward  !!

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 07:56:41 PM »

Good stuff Brian !, thanks for sharing it  , it is  expressing what many    know within,  but find hard to put in the right words ,   for me thats  a main struggle  and constant . ps
  you had posted right when  my post surfaced ...  crossed paths  at the same time lol....
Jesus is the reward  !!

whyiloveitaly.com

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 01:16:40 PM »
Hi Rosered,
Nice to see you here too!
Brian

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 02:59:32 PM »
Quote from: Brian
I believe it includes everything the human heart longs for and needs. This unfinished name of God seems to me like a blank check signed by a rich friend given to us to be filled in with whatever sum we may desire. The whole Bible tells us what it means.

Every attribute of God, every revelation of His character, every proof of His undying love, every declaration of His watchful care, every assertion of His purposes of tender mercy, every manifestation of His loving kindness—all are the filling out of this unfinished I am.

God tells us through all the pages of His Book what He is. I am, He says, all that my people need : I am their strength ; I am their wisdom ; I am their righteousness ; I am their peace ; I am their salvation ; I am their life ; I am their all in all.

This apparently unfinished name, therefore, is the most comforting name the heart of man could devise, because it allows us to add to it, without any limitation, whatever we feel the need of, and even exceeding abundantly beyond all that we can ask or think.

oh man, this is so beautiful and so true.  Thanks, Brian!

whyiloveitaly.com

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »
Thanks Molly. I really like Whitall Smith, I discovered her on this website, and most everything I've read of her really touches me. I think that women who are Christians often "see" farther than us men!

Blessings,
Brian