Author Topic: the shack...  (Read 1210 times)

Offline chuckt

the shack...
« on: February 09, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »
i just read it, i loved it !

Jerm

Re: the shack...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 07:24:07 AM »
Ditto.  'Twas awesome!

Offline Sarah

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 10:54:06 AM »
Great book. The discussion board on the website is a fertile ground for UR.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:28:31 PM »
A short summary of the book please  :bgdance:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Sarah

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »
It is a fictional story of a man who suffered a great tragedy. He ends up in a shack meeting God. I don't want to say to much in case you want to read it. Although it is a fictional story, you can tell the author has a deep appreciation and love for God and is acquanted with His mercy. The book definitly seems to support UR. When you go to the website, you will see that some moderaters do believe in UR and are educated in regards to the meanings of 'hell'.

Offline Doc

• Jesus Christ is the Savior of ALL men.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:16:18 PM »
It's an awesome book. I read one of the first copies available publicly.

The couple that teach our adult sunday school class are personal friends of the author (who is a universalist, btw).

Interestingly, one of the criticisms I've seen leveled at the book is that it can be used to "promote universalism".

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:00:02 PM by Doc »
God does not instruct us to pray to change His mind. He wants us to pray so that we'll know His mind.

"Prayer doesn't change God, it changes me." --C.S. Lewis

God never had or needed a Plan B. He's still on Plan A.

Res Veritas Loquitur

Offline legoman

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
Cool - I just started reading this book, which I got from my Mother.  Which interestingly enough she gave to me after I had several discussions on universalism with her - which I don't think she believes yet... but there may be some seed planted there...

Cheers,
Legoman

Jerm

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 04:12:06 AM »
It is a fictional story of a man who suffered a great tragedy. He ends up in a shack meeting God. I don't want to say to much in case you want to read it. Although it is a fictional story, you can tell the author has a deep appreciation and love for God and is acquanted with His mercy. The book definitly seems to support UR. When you go to the website, you will see that some moderaters do believe in UR and are educated in regards to the meanings of 'hell'.

From some things I've read on others sites, evidently the author is a 'soft' universalist.  By that I mean he sees a great deal of evidence for UR and is hopeful that it is true, yet doesn't discount the possibility that God will allow people to reject Him.  This is just what I've read others say so I'm not 100% sure. 

Offline Doc

• Jesus Christ is the Savior of ALL men.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 09:27:39 PM »

From some things I've read on others sites, evidently the author is a 'soft' universalist.  By that I mean he sees a great deal of evidence for UR and is hopeful that it is true, yet doesn't discount the possibility that God will allow people to reject Him.  This is just what I've read others say so I'm not 100% sure. 

Well, as I've mentioned; I have friends who know him personally, and while it's possible he's changed his stance to some degree, I don't think (from what I know of him) he'd be considered a 'soft' universalist. It could be that what others have posted on their sites are their interpretations of his views. It is at least clear that he's entertained the idea, and when I asked my friends if he was a universalist, they said that that was definitely the side of the fence he comes down on. When you get to the chapter in the shack titled "Here come da judge", you'll see part of why I don't think he's a soft universalist.
God does not instruct us to pray to change His mind. He wants us to pray so that we'll know His mind.

"Prayer doesn't change God, it changes me." --C.S. Lewis

God never had or needed a Plan B. He's still on Plan A.

Res Veritas Loquitur

Offline AbbasChild

• Father Judges No One
    • Abba's Child
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 01:00:56 PM »
It's a fantastic book and it mentions a lot of the things I have been learning over the last few years. It really seems to stir up the religious world. I am just listening to some good Podcasts that describe the story behind the book. Highly recommended. You can find the link here.
It is much more possible for the sun to give out darkness than for God to do or be, or give out anything but Blessing and Goodness.- William Law

Man can certainly flee from God... but he cannot escape him. He can certainly hate God and be hateful to God, but he cannot change into its opposite the eternal love of God which triumphs even in his hate. --Karl Barth

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
It's a fantastic book and it mentions a lot of the things I have been learning over the last few years. It really seems to stir up the religious world. I am just listening to some good Podcasts that describe the story behind the book. Highly recommended. You can find the link here.
Thank you for that link.  I haven't read the book, yet, but I listened to his first talk on the link, and I know exactly what he's talking about.  Different story, same outcome.  God really does heal us from the inside out, and once healed by him, we are indeed free.

Mark 5:15
And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.

Luke 7:44
And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.

45Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.

Offline AbbasChild

• Father Judges No One
    • Abba's Child
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »
Thank you for that link.  I haven't read the book, yet, but I listened to his first talk on the link, and I know exactly what he's talking about.  Different story, same outcome.  God really does heal us from the inside out, and once healed by him, we are indeed free.

Mark 5:15
And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.

Luke 7:44
And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.

45Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.

I've listend to a view messages of him and found it very healing. The healing of my Image of God is something Father has been working on me for the last seven years - actually probably all my life. Some of my background is quite similar to his, even though it all happened in different settings. I definetley need to listen to the rest of the podcasts.
It is much more possible for the sun to give out darkness than for God to do or be, or give out anything but Blessing and Goodness.- William Law

Man can certainly flee from God... but he cannot escape him. He can certainly hate God and be hateful to God, but he cannot change into its opposite the eternal love of God which triumphs even in his hate. --Karl Barth