Author Topic: The river Styx  (Read 567 times)

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
The river Styx
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:23:21 PM »
In Greek mythology the river Styx is the boundary between the land of the living and the land of the dead, Hades.

Because the NT uses a name from Greek mythology (Hades) I wonder some there are some implied parallels.

For example when the Israelites(dead) crossed the Jordan(Styx) they entered the promised land (exited Hades)
==> If we picture the promised land a life then everything outside of it is death/hades.

Rich man and Lazarus also had a "gulf fixed"
==> Was Lazarus in Israel and rich man in hades and it was the river Jordan/Styx separating them?

:dontknow:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline onlytruth

Re: The river Styx
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 03:24:15 AM »
that must be how the rock group "STYX" got its name....interesting :happy3:

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »
I remember reading something about the chasm in the richman parable being an actual chasm in Israel, but I'm not sure if it was the Jordan

The word heaven in greek is ouranous or uranus, the word star is aster same as ashera, there are a few others, it is quite a riddle to me about the usage of these pagan names for words in the bible

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:50:31 AM »
I remember reading something about the chasm in the richman parable being an actual chasm in Israel, but I'm not sure if it was the Jordan
I think that was on the ASK website.
Also (possibly): Sodom was on the shore of one of Edens rivers. It's exactly on a fault line. The whole river just sank. Jordan is a small part of that. The 4 rivers of Eden marked the teh boundaries of the land of Eden. The outer court. So it does seem to fit.

The word heaven in greek is ouranous or uranus, the word star is aster same as ashera, there are a few others, it is quite a riddle to me about the usage of these pagan names for words in the bible
A lot of concepts from Christianity can be found in (different forms) in other religions. Could just been paganized translations or just using well known concepts. Note that stricktly speaking the underword is called the land/kingdom of Hades. Hades is a greek god. Perhaps the Bible is making fun of Greek mythology.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...