Author Topic: .  (Read 590 times)

Lamentation

« on: October 07, 2008, 07:35:45 PM »
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:39:33 PM by Brian »

Paul Hazelwood

Re: Is UR considered to be a cult?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 07:54:30 PM »
It seems to me so far that those I've read believing in UR are from different backgrounds, different denominations etc. That basically most of the stuff I've read is written by regular orthodox Christians who only diverge when it comes to the subject of hell.

I'm not aware that it is, maybe some do, I think that it is considered heresy primarily.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 08:19:31 PM »
Cult typically refers to a cohesive social group devoted to beliefs or practices that the surrounding population considers to be outside the mainstream, with a notably positive or negative popular perception.

By that defeninition UR is a cult.
There is some funny quote that states: "If you are taking to voices in your head you are insane but if miljons talk to the same voice you are part of a religion."

That quote is not far from the truth concerning UR. If UR grows it becomes mainstream. If it keeps growing it pushes the other religions into the cult.
Cult mainly has a negative feeling so they chose that over 'a smaller religion' for example.

Why mainstream Christains team up against UR? I don't know. Maybe it's even a good sign. Mainstream was so devided for centuries they started wars among eachother. Back the the whole world was a Belfast.

I would like to know how big those mainstream Christian movements really are. I don't know how things are where you live but here Churches are broken down because noone visits them. Even with so few churches teh only time they are filled is during Easter and Christmas. And I doubt the majority would even notice if their churchleader was replaced by someone from another denomination.
My point is if I extrapolate what I see in my country the 1 billion Christians on the world for 90% have to think very hard what Easter is about. Or just mention 3 book titles from the Bible.
They are a cult themselfs that artificially looks big. Perhaps the even have a fair number of UR people among them that otherwise can't find a church to attend too.

If I take this board as a guaging stick I think get the feeling many from this board are from the mainstrem religions. They are good followers of that religion. But they just changed ever into aion and some into all.
This site is named a "Christian Universalist' site. But I think we got Catholic-Unversalists, Protestant-Universalists and ?????-Universalists.

Mainstream people are othen not thinkers. Many do so, so it simply is right is their belief. Are such people religious? Are they knowing what they actully belief and pray too?
I think people that switched religion or changed their religion a 'little' by adding an UR component are the real thinkers and therefore the real believers.

Is UR still a cult about reading the above????
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

martincisneros

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 08:58:19 PM »
Christian Universalists aren't a part of a cult.  There's too much fierce independence among us.  A cult seems to presuppose subjugated followers doing absolutely all of the bidding of a leader without any limits in terms of either reason or allowing the Bible and the Holy Spirit to be a higher authority.  Cults use fear and intimidation to coerce obedience without regards towards what's both in the interests of the members and of the general public.  Cults try to protect their members from the general public because they subconsciously fear that their paradigms and calls/demands to unquestionable and unquestioning obedience will be thwarted.  And often times, there's the fear of eternal retribution somewhere in the equation.  If any of the Christian Universalist ministers that I know were to try to tell the general Christian Universalist public that if you didn't support our educational and evangelistic works that you'd go to Hell, the general response from the Christian Universalist community would be to tell the so-called minister in question to go to Hell :icon_jokercolor: