Author Topic: Rudolf Bultmann on Faith  (Read 747 times)

Offline anti_nietzsche

• Est
Rudolf Bultmann on Faith
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »
Recently I read a discussion about the german theologian Rudolf Bultmann. This guy had an interesting idea about saving faith, that it would not necessarily mean a holding-for-true but instead faith would always mean the entirety of someone's response to hearing about Jesus. According to this view, every reaction to Christ would be acceptable, because "it's all faith", and furthermore, "faith matters are between us and God and really not other men's business".

Basically this demanded that every person in this world has saving faith, because Jesus came in such a way to ALWAYS ewoke a response. It may not always be the "right" or "good" response, but there is always a response. Furthermore, faith is not really defined in the bible, the book just gives many examples. Apostle Thomas actually had no faith until Christ was crucified and then resurrected and let him put his hand in his side. Apparently Jesus was fine with what Thomas started out with - his faith was small as a mustard seed but Christ watered it and so it naturally grew.

Now really all of us have some reaction to Jesus, and usually it doesn't simply stay the same. There is always something happening in response to hearing about Jesus, apparently Jesus lived and died and spoke in a way that, in time at least, always changes someone. Some become lovers of God, others hate God in order to promulgate human rights or living after their own selves, some doubt, some believe strongly, some are surprised, some find wisdom in God, some become theologian (which also includes many small-time theologians), some become lovers of men, especially those who suffer (the royal way), and so on.

Also, if you look through the various ways men of different convictions have spoken about Jesus, then almost none of them spoke in pure hatred unless they had been brainwashed by some cult or bad state philosophy. Even cutthroats and mafia bosses said something reasonable about Jesus. Everyone wants to be good somehow - that is really a major effect of hearing about Jesus and God's judgment, an effect which seems to start up in EVERY man.

I find this idea pretty amazing. How do you think of it, and do you think it makes a difference for our UR theology?

Offline sheila

• Gold
Re: Rudolf Bultmann on Faith
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:46:54 PM »
YOUR POST MADE ME THINK OF THE VARIOUS DISPLAYINGS OF FAITH IN THE SCRIPTURES....

THE CENTURION WHO SAID'I AM UNWORTHY FOR YOU TO COME UNDER MY ROOF JUST SAY THE WORD

AND MY SERVANT WILL BE HEALED'  OR THIS 'AWAY FROM ME LORD,I AM A MAN OF UNCLEAN SPEECH"

OR 'IF I JUST CAN TOUCH THE HEM OF HIS GARMENT"OR THIS....YES,LORD BUT EVEN THE

LITTLE DOGS EAT FROM THE CRUMBS THAT FALL UNDER THE TABLE. OR 'CAN ANYTHING GOOD

COME FROM NAZARETH?'......

COMMENTS  LIKE 'O YE OF LITTLE FAITH" OR 'I HAVE NOT FOUND SUCH A GREAT FAITH IN ALL ISREAL"

THESE THREE THINGS REMAIN...FAITH..HOPE AND LOVE

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:28:43 AM »
Wonderful! and it certainly is universal.  Reminds me of something I've said . . . You don't have to know the name of a road to walk on it.  You may be able to find your way without being able cite the names of the roads used to get where you're going.

While not well read in Bultmann (mostly only his commentaries on scripture) I can nevertheless say that's about the first notably good thing I've encountered from him.  I think I'm onto his method:  just deny everything, only approve of the most generic expressions of faith in order to throw everybody off the trail to discovering his method.
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 07:19:48 AM »
Romans 10:9  If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:25:54 AM »
To mention an interesting writer of theology, more popular in the 50s and 60s, Paul Tillich caused a stir with his existential theology.  Along with Rollo May, according to his widow, he practiced the "new morality" he advocated.  I may be sampling his writing, but not studying it, because I don't want to emulate that kind of seminary professor.

Scripture says:  "Be followers of those who through faith and patience have inherited the promises."  I spend time sparingly with those who are anti-supernaturalist.  I want something that comes with being a disciple of Jesus.  He says, "When a disciple is perfect (finished, mature, complete) he shall be like his master."

(Rather than audiences for professional preachers) those who bring forth fellowships where the Holy Spirit is free to lead forth through every member, with the goal that "ALL" -- corporately and individually -- "come into the perfect man, the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:" I want to study and imitate them.

(Rather than a God making, sustaining and approving ceaseless torture for ever) those whose foundation for faith and function as well as what they raise up in others is founded "on the living God, who is the savior of all . . ." I want to study and imitate them.

(Rather than no miracle, hence: no ongoing prophecy, no healing, no visions from God) those who prophesy, minister miracles of healing, have visions, cast out demons, preach good news to EVERY creature, walk on water, raise the dead as well as move in and impart the glory in which these things happen and are brought forth in others too:  I want to study and imitate them. 

Also those that hold Scripture as bearing an evidence of inerrancy, though frayed, and that it's inspired above all other books known to man (confining their confession of faith to the actual words God chose to make His revelation known:)  I want to study and imitate them.
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!