Author Topic: Re: Recipe Thread  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
Re: Recipe Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 05:04:43 PM »
 :cloud9: Thanks for the shrimp alfredo recipe; my daughter loves both shrimp and alfredo, so I'll be trying that one for sure.........they all sound good, though. Standard Indiana country cuisine is like biscuits and gravy, ham and beans with cornbread, chicken fried steak, fried chicken. Good, but not unique.
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline anti_nietzsche

• Est
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »
I think I may have a nice recipe too. It's from my father's home area, former east prussia (now Poland and Russia). It's a very traditional dish, and cheap to boot.

SWEETSOUR EGGS

ingredients:

potatoes
bacon
flour (or ready roux)
eggs
vinegar, sugar, salt

Peel the potatoes and slice them in halves, put them in a pot with water and a bit salt. Cook them until potatoes are soft and edible, but don't make mashed potatoes out of them ;).

Cut the bacon into small pieces, 4*4 millimeters. Fry them in a larger pot until you have a layer of oil on the bottom. Remove the remaining bacon quarters and put them in a small bowl. Add a bit of water to the pot and heat until it boils. Take the flour or the roux and mix it with the oil&water, until you have a thick sauce. Add water and roux until the pot is 3/4 full of it, it must remain thick.

Add some vinegar, some salt and some sugar. The key is to make the sauce both sweet and a bit sour, depending on your taste.

Boil the eggs hard, when finished, peel them and put the eggs in the sauce in the whole.

When potatoes are ready, put them on the plates, and add the sauce with the eggs. There must be enough sauce to cover both the eggs and the potatoes. I mean really much. If you like the taste of bacon, add the fried bacon quartes you removed earlier, on top of the meal.

Enjoy!

Offline studier

• Restricted
Craig's Almond Chicken Salad
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

This is a dish I am quite proud of, I invented it because I had a need to have a low-fat, low-carb, high protein dish.

CRAIG'S ALMOND CHICKEN SALAD

Ingredients:

1 boneless chicken breast (120g)
1/2 tsp garlic salt (1g)
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar (24g)
2 Tbsp crushed almonds (24g)
lettuce shredded (3 cups)
cheddar cheese (less than 5g fat) shredded.(60g)
2 Tbsp Italian dressing (less than 3g fat) (24g)

Marinate chicken breast flat in rice win vinegar and garlic salt for 30 minutes.
Lay shredded lettuce on a plate and drizzle Italian dressing over lettuce.
Layer shredded cheese on layer of lettuce

Turn stove to high for 5 minutes and place non-stick.
Drain rice wine vinegar and garlic salt marinade.
Fry chicken for 2 minutes on both sides or until fully cooked.
Cut into strips and layer on salad.
Sprinkle crushed almonds on top of chicken.

Serves 1, multiply servings per person fed.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:54:22 AM by SOtW »

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 05:59:38 PM »
Gee , I was anticipating something "out of the World" Not a Packet :laughing7:

Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 06:37:31 PM »
Gee , I was anticipating something "out of the World" Not a Packet :laughing7:

Whadaya want from me?  :grin: Its a recipe you add WATER! Its EASY theree IS mixing involved here, theres a pot, and heat it works  :grin:

Its not half bad either  :grin:

I have a good grilled cheese one too if you want it?  :grin:

Well I will admit, Its a Start ,  :bgdance:     who Knows ,next it will be those ready meals where you TAKE it out of A box, REMOVE the plastic covering , HEAT it in the Microwave, and POUR on a Topping of YOUR choice, as They say" Rome wasnt Built in a day", theres Hope yet :laughing7:
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 11:01:27 PM »
Quick snack.

Stuff a pita bread with cheese and jelly.
Heat. Eat. Flush away with Duvel. Next!
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 11:12:07 PM »
Quick snack.

what Jelly :icon_flower:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 11:19:34 PM »
Another snack.
(the name best stays untranslated....)

1 egg
150 ml milk
full spoon of sugar ( or more)
Cinnamon (I like a lot of it)

Mix the above.

Soak 4 slices of old, dry, white bread in it. (make sure the bread doesn't soak to long)
Bake on both sides.

When done sprinkle (???) with some sugar and cinnamon.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:23:14 PM by WhiteWings »
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 11:20:27 PM »
Quick snack.

what Jelly :icon_flower:

Red one  :laughing7:

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 11:23:13 PM »
Quick snack.

what

Red one  :laughing7:

:icon_king:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 05:50:54 PM »
Taffy when ya gonna post that recipe for boiled water? :btantrum:

This thread makes me hungry.
Think I'm gonna grab some healthy snack!

French fries. + onions + ketchup + mayonaise + picallily + Peanut sauce  :thumbsup:

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 06:24:23 PM »
 :cloud9: Ok, I just gotta know; what is picallily and what is peanut sauce?
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 06:28:11 PM »
Taffy when ya gonna post that recipe for boiled water? :btantrum:

This thread makes me hungry.
Think I'm gonna grab some healthy snack!

French fries. + onions + ketchup + mayonaise + picallily + Peanut sauce  :thumbsup:
missed the WW...
YA DONT boil water..ya get it from a Hot water tap..the one with a red tag .. :laughing7:

wow..thats some mixture..do you really eat all that together...picallily with peanut sauce..ya kiddding right... :laughing7:

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 06:31:59 PM »
Card

Picallili as its Know here..is mixed picked veggies , in a Mustard and tumeric pickled sause...bright yellow..ya use it as a Garnish NORMALLY for salads.. :icon_flower:

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »
I would imagine WW may mean Peanut Butter :dontknow:

if so..just cant imagine that with Picallili.....mmm :icon_king:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 06:56:54 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_sauce
Peanut butter but more liquid and more spicey.
Picalilly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccalilli
Brit style.

We call it:
French fries war.
All mixed together Taffy

Not the McDonald crappy french fries BTW
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:58:52 PM by WhiteWings »

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 07:01:36 PM »
 :cloud9: Oh....amazing the different tastes for things around the world. Never heard of either of those two, and can't imagine either of them on french fries......I went to Canada every year as a kid, and it took awhile for me to acclimate to malt vinegar on fries, LOL.....

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 07:05:24 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_sauce
Peanut butter but more liquid and more spicey.
Picalilly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccalilli
Brit style.

We call it:
French fries war.
All mixed together Taffy

Not the McDonald crappy french fries BTW

A a WAR it sounds dude...I know what they taste like Individually  BUT mixed together.....mm

Our daughters a Mayo freak....It goes On EVERYTHING....chinese , Indian..pizzas..brit food... the lot....YUK...

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 07:10:17 PM »
Cardinal,
Just try.

When going to a restaurant I just order something I never heard about.
Except in London that is....  :sigh:
There it's best eat in a 2 star and up restaurant. Else every dish tastes fish flour. Prolly a wrong translation.
Mainly everything tastes like fish slime :laughing7:

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »
:cloud9: Oh....amazing the different tastes for things around the world. Never heard of either of those two, and can't imagine either of them on french fries......I went to Canada every year as a kid, and it took awhile for me to acclimate to malt vinegar on fries, LOL.....
Chips here C..not fries,,,...but they are normally thicker...salt and Malt Vinegar is a MUST....just like Cheese and Onion...egg and bacon....bread and butter.... :icon_flower:

My favorite supper of all is -

Baked Spud( potato)
 cut in Half...Remove the inners..smash with Grated Chedder Cheese , BUTTER( No salt) enough in the Chesse...paprika..good pinch..a touch of Milk or cream....Return back to the skins

what we call back bacon( like ham) two rashers a SKIN with Sliced tomatoes topped with more grated Cheese..place under the Grill until Golden Brown or when the neighbour knock the door cos they want some too :laughing7:

goes well with Hot oiling water from the Tap :laughing7:

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 07:24:58 PM »
Cardinal,
Just try.

When going to a restaurant I just order something I never heard about.
Except in London that is....  :sigh:
There it's best eat in a 2 star and up restaurant. Else every dish tastes fish flour. Prolly a wrong translation.
Mainly everything tastes like fish slime :laughing7:

:cloud9: LOL, fish slime, eh? If I ever make it to London, I'll keep that in mind.  :mshock:

I'm actually unusually adventurous for my neck of the woods. I love and have taught myself to cook Chinese, some Indian, Italian, Greek, French, and Mexican cooking.

We have some picked veggies but I don't think they have them in mustard and turmeric sauce around here. The peanut sauce I've never seen either.

But then again, I am in the crossroads of the world here in small town Indiana  :mblush: :laughing7:

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 07:29:58 PM »
Chips here C..not fries,,,...but they are normally thicker...salt and Malt Vinegar is a MUST....just like Cheese and Onion...egg and bacon....bread and butter.... :icon_flower:

Baked Spud( potato)
 cut in Half...Remove the inners..smash with Grated Chedder Cheese , BUTTER( No salt) enough in the Chesse...paprika..good pinch..a touch of Milk or cream....Return back to the skins

what we call back bacon( like ham) two rashers a SKIN with Sliced tomatoes topped with more grated Cheese..place under the Grill until Golden Brown or when the neighbour knock the door cos they want some too :laughing7:

:cloud9: Sounds good, I was just thinking I need to eat some lunch, and now you've cinched it for me.  :laughing7:

I was with ya on all of it but the cheese and onion pairing....love onions but never thought about eating them with cheese.....

Hmmm......hot oiling water from the Tap...... That does sound a trifle like this......:Party:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »
We don't call 'm fries either. Suprise.
I have a real good recipie for soup but I just can't translate half of the ingredients.

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 07:39:03 PM »

Baked Spud( potato)

:cloud9: Sounds good, I was just thinking I need to eat some lunch, and now you've cinched it for me.  :laughing7:

I was with ya on all of it but the cheese and onion pairing....love onions but never thought about eating them with cheese.....

Hmmm......hot oiling water from the Tap...... That does sound a trifle like this......:Party:

THE bkey is sticking some C...Boiling water( ie WW)..but even so..Im parcial to ice cold cider with the spud and specially with Mature chedder , Onion and Crusty bread...Tis the basis of what we call a Ploughmans Lunch, youll find that on nearly every menu of traditional ale houses in Britain..just add with that, salad to garnish..half an apple , a few grapes...Branston Pickle.....and Man..it DONt come better on a summers evening...

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 07:40:44 PM »
We don't call 'm fries either. Suprise.
I have a real good recipie for soup but I just can't translate half of the ingredients.

with My stomach..soups a Must.....when ya do translate pass it on... :icon_flower: