Author Topic: Music - a consensus?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Lonely Summer

• Full
Music - a consensus?
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:10:18 AM »
I don't know if this is an appropriate question here or not. I guess I will find out. Is there a consensus among the members here on music, secular or religious? I'm a working musician, songwriter. A lot of the songs I write are specifically influenced by my Christian beliefs. Some of the songs I write are not so specifically influenced by that, although I personally find it hard to segregate music into "religious" or "Christian" and "secular". I perform mostly "secular" material when out performing, though. Some Christians are okay with this; others frown on it. Yeah, I know, my only concern should be is "what does God say about it?" but I am curious about the opinions here (btw, I'm a newbie).

Offline Molly

• Gold
Re: Music - a consensus?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:16:05 AM »
Seems to me the musicians are part of the priestly ministry.

Got any youtubes? :bigGrin:

1 Chronicles 15:16
David told the leaders of the Levites to appoint their fellow Levites as musicians to make a joyful sound with musical instruments: lyres, harps and cymbals.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:55:33 PM »
 :cloud9: Years ago, I was asking Him about whether or not I was still allowed to do something I enjoyed. There was nothing inherently "wrong" with it, but I felt guilty over every waking minute not being about Him. He said, "I don't care what you do, as long as you put Me first."

Obviously, you could take that quite literally and with evil intent twist it to suit the flesh, but in proper perspective what it did was release me from condemnation I had put on myself. I realized that if I put Him first, everything else had it's proper place.

I imagine that He can use you to reach people regardless of what music you're playing, if you put Him first, yes?  :happygrin:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:04:32 PM »
I perform mostly "secular" material when out performing, though. Some Christians are okay with this; others frown on it. Yeah, I know, my only concern should be is "what does God say about it?" but I am curious about the opinions here
Some Christians seem to think it's forbidden to have fun in your life.
Why should you play Christian material?
Are Christian construction workers only allowed to build churches?

I hope I'm right because I'm a metalhead  :drummer:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
 :cloud9: I don't know why, but I just can't picture you as a metalhead.  :mshock:  :laughing7:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:12:33 PM »
Look at Mozart and co and see their marvellous works, I'd like too see a christian arrogant enough to say it is of the devil.

But I think some music out there can be destructive lyrics wise and some can be so slow, almost depressing and doesn't add much to ones life, perhaps might be useful to drown ones sorrow, but it can be addictive to listen to and stimulate depression over time. In terms of tunes a badly played out of sync tune can annoy ones spirit and anger them, but a bit of mashing the keyboard or thrashing the guitar without playing it can be a good stress reliever,maybe not so much on the people who listen to it though.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
:cloud9: I don't know why, but I just can't picture you as a metalhead.  :mshock:  :laughing7:
It give me an adrineline rush. And a sore (sometimes bleeding) throat.
God have mercy on those who hear me sing :laughing7:

It's how I found religion/this site.
So metal is truley teh way to God :bgdance:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:21:16 PM by WhiteWings »
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 08:19:59 PM »
Look at Mozart and co and see their marvellous works, I'd like too see a christian arrogant enough to say it is of the devil.

But I think some music out there can be destructive lyrics wise and some can be so slow, almost depressing and doesn't add much to ones life, perhaps might be useful to drown ones sorrow, but it can be addictive to listen to and stimulate depression over time. In terms of tunes a badly played out of sync tune can annoy ones spirit and anger them, but a bit of mashing the keyboard or thrashing the guitar without playing it can be a good stress reliever,maybe not so much on the people who listen to it though.
According to some all instruments not mentioned in the Bible are of the devil.
YLT1Chr 15
16 And David saith to the heads of the Levites to appoint their brethren the singers, with instruments of song, psalteries, and harps, and cymbals, sounding, to lift up with the voice for joy.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 08:27:07 PM »
I bet some of them carry instruments that go bang

:Shoot:

Not in the bible, must be evil, but if one has an exploding comet in their garage that is biblical and safe to use  :icon_jokercolor:

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 08:29:25 PM »
All manner of instruments are mentioned in the Bible, string, wind, and noise makers.

What is an electric guitar but a fancy lyre?  :happygrin:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 08:45:25 PM »
I bet some of them carry instruments that go bang

:Shoot:

Not in the bible, must be evil, but if one has an exploding comet in their garage that is biblical and safe to use  :icon_jokercolor:
I think most carry microscopes to find something to talk negatively about.
Just like the Scribes and Pharisees.
But Jesus, imo, by drinking wine showed fun is allowed.
Love+Humor+Fun= a trinity too  :winkgrin:
Seriously I can't imagine love from someone that sees negativity everywhere and has a face like lemon.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »
 :laughing7:

Offline Lonely Summer

• Full
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »
I love the responses here! :)

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 11:10:50 PM »
Actually, if light is in you . . .then the "sound" that comes out can only reflect that which is with in . . . I mean . . .you have to be careful what you even hum . . .it could be worldly.  New Years noise makers . . .definitely not of God.  It is scientifically proven that it takes a person at least 2 months to blow out the demons, should their instrument be a operated through reed . .before any "true" sound would then come out . . .and if their minds are full of darkness . . .well then . . .to hell with the whole thing!!!

:mshock:

Another reason why I love this forum . . .hell isn't a swear word any more!!

:tease:

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 11:20:21 PM »
I don't personally think something has to be labeled "Christian" to be holy, pure, useful.  Some things labeled "Christian" may not be as beneficial, while some things labeled "secular" may be very beneficial.  I believe that if we're filled with the Spirit, the fruit of that spirit will be righteousness, peace, and joy - and what comes out of us will be pure, holy, and help others.  If it's filth and unholy, then it's of the world, of darkness not light.  The Holy Spirits leads, guides, convicts and corrects.  Labels are labels, righteousness proceeds from a spiritually reborn and in-tune heart.   
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 11:42:59 PM »
Okay, on a more serious level . . . I agree with Jabcat as well.  We're the ones that take freedom and turn it into religious bondage.  And at the same time, there is a balance in there as well.  But for me to tell you what you should or shouldn't listen to may not be as prosperous as one would think . . .I think it be best to let you mature into the being God has chosen you to be . . .unique to all others . . .and I'll do the same.

But for the record . . . heavy metal  . . . man that's "gotta" be of the devil!!  Jesus a head-banger?  Maybe switching to muslim may not be that bad after all . . .

Offline Lonely Summer

• Full
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 02:01:20 AM »
Again, I love the responses here. I can see this is a very intelligent group of people! I've been working on kind of head banging song the last few days called 'Rot in Hell", inspired by the rantings of a site someone directed me to. If you are curious, I think the address is http://www.jesus-is-savior.com - but be warned, the guy who writes the stuff on that site hates pretty much everybody - everybody is going to hell, even 99.9% of people that call themselves Christians; says the only trustworthy English translastion of the Bible is KJV; Billy Graham is evil because he welcomes Catholics; blah blah blah; it made me sick reading all that - that's why I had to write the song. It's a satire. Okay, now I need to work on something a bit more uplifting. bleh!

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 02:28:39 AM »
Ironic . . .I've just been writing this one out . . .just now.

I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG

SING TO ME YOUR MELODY, I WILL FOLLOW ALONG
WRITE YOUR LOVE UPON MY HEART,
I WILL BE YOUR SONG, EVERY DAY,
I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG
I WAKE UP IN THE MORNING,
LET YOUR PRAISE BE IN MY MOUTH
A CHORUS OF MIGHTY ANGELS SING
LIKE A RIVER COMES POURING OUT
I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG, I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG

CHORUS:
I WANT TO BE THE SONG THAT YOU SING
TO EVERY BOY AND EVERY GIRL
THAT BRINGS FREEDOM TO A DYING WORLD
AS YOU'RE CALLING US UP TO THE ASCENDED PLACE
I WANT TO BE THE SONG TO THOSE THAT LONG
TO SEE WONDERS OF YOUR GRACE
………BRIDGE………                               
I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG
TO THOSE WHO ARE CRYING 
I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG
TO THOSE WHO ARE DYING
I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG
TO THOSE WITH EYES YET CAN'T SEE
I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG
TO THOSE WITH EARS YET CAN'T HEAR
IN YOU I LIVE AND MOVE AND HAVE MY BEING
IN YOU I LIVE AND MOVE AND HAVE MY BEING

AS THE WORDS COME OUT
LET THE PEOPLE HEAR 
YOUR MELODY OF LIFE
MAY THEY BE SET FREE
FROM THEIR MINDS OF DEATH
AS THEY SEE YOUR CLEANSING FIRE
LET THEM BE YOUR SONG, LET THEM BE YOUR SONG
MAY THEIR HEARTS BE TUNED TO THE GLORY SOUND
AS RELIGION COMES CRUMBLING DOWN
LET THEM LIFT THEIR HANDS WITH JOYFUL HEARTS
IN THE FREEDOM OF YOUR HIGHER GROUND
LET THEM BE YOUR SONG, LET THEM BE YOUR SONG.

CHORUS:
TO EVERY BOY AND EVERY GIRL
THAT BRINGS FREEDOM TO A DYING WORLD
AS YOU'RE CALLING UP UP TO THE ASCENDED PLACE
I WANT TO BE THE SONG TO THOSE THAT LONG
TO SEE WONDERS OF YOUR GRACE
………BRIDGE………                               
I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG
TO THOSE WHO ARE CRYING
I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG
TO THOSE WHO ARE DYING
I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG
TO THOSE WITH EYES YET CAN'T SEE
I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG
TO THOSE WITH EARS YET CAN'T HEAR
IN YOU I LIVE AND MOVE AND HAVE MY BEING (REPEAT)
I WANT TO BE YOUR SONG (REPEAT X4)

pollypinks

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 02:56:05 AM »
I have found much Christian music depressing, since, nowadays we're all supposed to like the same worship type music where people are waving their hands and such.  But hey, it's your gig.  Do your own thing.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 03:46:09 AM »
 :bigGrin:  Yeah I'm not a fan of this waving hand in the air, keep them up praise I see on tv, but the atmosphere seems good though.

I would not mind some more military type music warfare ,
i .e

God is mighty and is gonna destroy the evil, wicked going down, smash the devils crown,
coz the lamb is in town He wash away the brown, a perfect cleansing.

Yeah, coz the lamb oh yeah is the perfect cleansing

dig up ya grave
Coz me nan be brave
Some say it's a close shave
But Jesus , is a mighty to Save

So keep your mouth tight
Coz the lord be light
Standing on mountaintop, he be so bright
Give devil such a big fright

O praise the lord coz hes the king, he's about to rule and reign for ever and ever, cmon

Give a shout
Lady don't pout
Shake your bussoms and dance aloud
Make an earthquake, He hides in the cloud

Oh man take out your staff
Take that sin and snuff it out
Rule and reign in Christ outloud
make a noise and give us a shout

----------------
 A lot of christian music I see these days seems geared towards women.

people talk about bible = antiwoman etc but yet, woman have dominated the worship songs and church numbers for a long time, so they do have advantage is some areas, it seems.

When I was growing up and went to church on special occasions, the songs were all geared towards older women, slow organ type music and they seemed to enjoy it but now they seem more geared towards the new generation of women, but some of them are ok I guess, nothing to complain about.

Offline Lonely Summer

• Full
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »
I live right across the street from a predominantly black church, and they really get to rockin' there some evenings when I'm returning from work. Drums, piano, choir, it's a joyous sound! I'd like to hear some of that kind of music in our predominantly white churches, but there seems to be resistance to anything with rhythm. Anytime someone tries to do anything bordering on "rock and roll", the older people raise a fuss. Maybe I should just start going to the black church instead! Don't know why our churches are still segregated anyway, that should've changed decades ago!

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »
I live right across the street from a predominantly black church, and they really get to rockin' there some evenings when I'm returning from work. Drums, piano, choir, it's a joyous sound! I'd like to hear some of that kind of music in our predominantly white churches, but there seems to be resistance to anything with rhythm. Anytime someone tries to do anything bordering on "rock and roll", the older people raise a fuss. Maybe I should just start going to the black church instead! Don't know why our churches are still segregated anyway, that should've changed decades ago!
I think you partly answered that yourself. If the whites want boring quiet and the blacks a rock-n-roll party they just can merge into one church.

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »
Music and movies have the ability to effect my mood deeply.  Just the way I am built I suppose.  I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with secular TV or music.  With that said, I am selective with what I allow into my eyes and ears.  There is so much garbage that I have no desire to see or hear.

Offline Lonely Summer

• Full
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:42 AM »
I do the same. There is just some stuff that I do not need to see or hear.

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »
I have found much Christian music depressing, since, nowadays we're all supposed to like the same worship type music where people are waving their hands and such.  But hey, it's your gig.  Do your own thing.

The church I attend has very little of that.  But, during my searching I went to many different churches with many worship styles.  Each has it's own personality.  I enjoy all types of worship from the traditional hymns to modern...raising waving of hands to none.  We are all unique instruments in the orchestra of God and I cherish the differences.