Author Topic: Does anybody here know anything about Martin Zender: personally or his books?  (Read 3991 times)

squint

Hi Tony

Like I said, if I had the booklet in question I could be more specific.  I am not fond of certain positions for certain reasons.  Many "preterists" preach that there are two gospels.  One for the Israelites one another one for the gentiles.  And they use that position to cancel out huge amounts of scripture where I may believe there are other more valid ways to approach those same subjects.  In their more extreme forms, full preterists go as far as to eradicte entire segments of the N.T. such as the book of Hebrews and James.  Sound familiar?

I wrote Martin about it, and he responded, which I appreciated.  I have nothing against him as Gods offspring, and of course the bottom line is just okey dokey with me just as it is between us as Gods offspring.  Sometimes it's hard to keep that in mind with grappling with some of these subjects eh?

enjoy!

squint

martincisneros

Entirely off the subject, but now I'm wondering about the brick of Kryptonite above my picture on my posts  :icon_jokercolor:

Offline 97531

• Restricted
  • Truth is Freedom
    • Father's Love Forum
Entirely off the subject, but now I'm wondering about the brick of Kryptonite above my picture on my posts  :icon_jokercolor:

LOL :laughing7:

Had time on my hands so I designed new rating pics, trying to pretty up the place, your next color is purple, when you get to 3000 it will be gold, post away, there is a place to vote for this new look in forum help.

The stars are 2 military IMO

Blessings
My Blog       Father's Love Forum - New
IHWLAMAHOB
Christian Milkshake: Pressed down, shaken together and more than we can hope for

Offline Tony N

• Bronze
    • Saviour of All Fellowship
Hi Tony

Like I said, if I had the booklet in question I could be more specific.  I am not fond of certain positions for certain reasons.  Many "preterists" preach that there are two gospels.  One for the Israelites one another one for the gentiles.  And they use that position to cancel out huge amounts of scripture where I may believe there are other more valid ways to approach those same subjects.  In their more extreme forms, full preterists go as far as to eradicte entire segments of the N.T. such as the book of Hebrews and James.  Sound familiar?

I wrote Martin about it, and he responded, which I appreciated.  I have nothing against him as Gods offspring, and of course the bottom line is just okey dokey with me just as it is between us as Gods offspring.  Sometimes it's hard to keep that in mind with grappling with some of these subjects eh?

enjoy!

squint

squint,
I think you are confusing your terms. A Preterist would put Circumcision and Uncircumcision writings into one pot.
A Dispensationalist would correctly cut (rightly divide) the Scriptures and keep the Circumcision writings to their group and the Uncircumcision writings to their respective group, i.e. the Nations.

Martin does not eradicate any scriptures. He just believes that James, being written to the 12 tribes is for them. We can read James and learn from it many important truths such as God's sovereignty etc. But we are not under law.
Just because God says He will save all mankind
does not necessarily mean He won't.

Redkora

If he does identify himself as a Universalist, he may use a pen name for his own protection. He may be based in an area hostile to UR.

Forgiven

I ordered his book: "How to quit church without quitting God"  I can't wait to read it :happy3:
Regards,
Forgiven

squint

squint,
I think you are confusing your terms. A Preterist would put Circumcision and Uncircumcision writings into one pot.

Not so when both camps eradicate the Law at 70 a.d. and then begin to divide or eliminate the applicability of the scriptures based on either dispensation or on preterism, full or partial.
A Dispensationalist would correctly cut (rightly divide) the Scriptures and keep the Circumcision writings to their group and the Uncircumcision writings to their respective group, i.e. the Nations.

"Most (but not all) Partial Preterists also believe the term Last Days refers not to the last days of planet Earth or the last days of humankind, but rather to the last days of the Mosaic covenant which God had exclusively with national Israel until the year AD 70 (see also New Covenant).  As God came in judgment upon various nations in the Old Testament, Christ also came in judgment against those in Israel who rejected him." (Cited from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preterism)

If I had Martin's booklet here Tony, we could see that this is what Martin presents, which IS also a partial preterist view which he openly espouses to eradicate the Law, him not being an "Israelite" who lived at that time or prior.  Dispensationalism may also hold this same view.
Martin does not eradicate any scriptures. He just believes that James, being written to the 12 tribes is for them. We can read James and learn from it many important truths such as God's sovereignty etc. But we are not under law.

And again Tony, that is also a preterist view, of which there are many variants and overlaps with "dispensationalism" of which there are also many variants.  I do believe you also hold to the 2 Gospel position.  In my city there is a school of preterists that preach the two gospel position and espouse the eradiation of both James and Hebrews.  The robe of preterism and dispensationalism moves back and forth between these camps on many of these subjects, but I would also agree that the 2 gospel position is largely one of dispensationalism that many preterists, full or partial, may hold.

Both dispensationalists (of various types) and preterists (of various types) stop the Mosaic Law at the Nation of Israel in various forms and times and both camps will divide many scriptures along those lines.  There are getting to be so many slices and dices of these various positions that it is hard to keep up with anymore.  And the lists of divisions grows almost daily.

enjoy!

squint

Offline Tony N

• Bronze
squint, could you give me Biblical evidence that Jesus came back in 70 A.D.? If so, are you saying the 1000 year kingdom began then?

Martin is not a preterist nor a partial preterist. I know Martin.

squint

Hi Tony

I've said all I care to note on the subject and it was "law" specific, not an eschatological observation.

Offline Tony N

• Bronze
I realize you stated it is all you care to say on the subject, but could you at least tell me what you mean that it was "law specific"? In what way was Jeff wrong? Just curious. :Chinscratch:

squint

Who is Jeff?   :grin:

Like I said Tony, had I retained the booklet, I could cite many examples of "Martin's" positions that I "personally" considered very very weak.  I gave "one" example that I specifically recalled, and that was that "the Law" was completely invalid and gone.

We should both know well enough that Paul "upheld and established" the Law, said it was Holy, Righteous and Good if "used" properly.  Even said it was SPIRITUAL.  That the law empowers sin, yes even arouses it unto judgment.  And we also know that in his MIND Paul STILL SERVED that same Law that Martin completely ERADICATES.

You and I have both debated these same issues many times with many people, and you should also know that these same New Testament scriptures cannot be written off or thrown away AND retain any type of "credibility" without resorting to our own imaginations, which Martin in my opinion has done, at least as it pertains to that subject.  I also do not adhere to the "two Gospel" theory, which is also used to mitigate, minimize or even eliminate many scriptures as you have thusly noted.

There are simply better ways to dissect these subjects, again imho.

squint

Offline Tony N

• Bronze
Thanks squint.

Jeff is Martin.

Martin is Jeff's penn name.

squint

I'm certain Jeff is an OK person who loves God.

shibboleth

Martin Zender is a pen name. It isn't his real name. :)
I thought Jeff Priddy or Priddly is his pen name? Does he have more than one pen name?

My favorite Zender book is 'Flawed by Design." He tells how we are created the way we are so God can do his work in us shaping and conforming us into His image. I have given away almost all my Zender books. I find him truthful, funny, interesting, well versed in scripture and an around good guy. He's a good read for those who are unfamiliar with UR because he writes his books for beginners...those who are questioning ET beliefs but have nowhere to verify the things they are starting to see as false. :thumbsup:

Offline Tony N

• Bronze
Yea, Flawed by Design is a great read. I was at a baseball game and had that book next to me with just the back of the book showing. A woman sitting next to me read the back of the book and told me that was really true and asked if she could read the book. I gave it to her. You just never know how something will minister to someone, do you?

Martin Zender is his pen name.

Jeff Priddy is his legal birth name.

martincisneros

I think where some people might have gotten that confused is that you can still find really old stuff online by "Jeff Priddy" that others haven't taken the time to add the ambiguity of a pen name to.  I'm thinking I bumped into Jeff's name also on the God's Truth For Today website.  And I was all like, "boy that sounds a lot like the biting wit of Zender" and then I wandered over to L. Ray Smith's website [on the same exact day if I remember right] and he made the actual connection on his site.

To me, it's nearly pointless to do the pen name thing if it can still be researched online who ya really are.  If I ever did a pen name, I'd try to lean on somebody about being a ghost writer/editor and give them the simple instruction with the article or manuscript: "keep edits to a minimum if at all even remotely possible, but keep it from sounding like me at absolutely all costs."

What would I do if a pic was unavoidable?  Hmmm... Lose some weight and wear a hat?  Or better yet, wear a suit for the photo shoot.  My own mother's never seen me in a suit before.  Nobody has.  My own mother would swear that a pic of me in a suit wasn't even me  :laughing7:

Loveroftruth

Re: Does anybody here know anything about Martin Zender: personally or his books
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 01:09:57 PM »

martincisneros wrote:
going through the flames of Hell right now and probably genuinely needing a good intercessor in his behalf, then I'll privately take things from there on that.

Hey, I could use my own private intercessor, where do I sign up  :dontknow: :grin:

Loveroftruth

Re: Does anybody here know anything about Martin Zender: personally or his books
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 01:11:41 PM »
Forgiven wrote
I ordered his book: "How to quit church without quitting God"  I can't wait to read it happy3
Regards,
Forgiven

Did you ever get and read the book? How was it  :dontknow:

Offline chuckt

Re: Does anybody here know anything about Martin Zender: personally or his books?
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 01:59:19 PM »
ive read several of martin zenders books.

very good in my opinion.

i have about 30 cpoies of "flawed by design"

i hand them out all the time.

blessings
chuckt
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:04:46 PM by chuckt »

Offline chuckt

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2007, 02:02:01 PM »
I know Martin Z. personally. I speak at his conferences each year in Ohio, so I better know him. We e-mail back and forth as well. Jeff P., er, uh, Martin Z. is the modern day equivalent of Mark Twain.

His books are highly recommended by me. He has been emerging from being very burned out. I never thought of him being comedic. That might be me   :icon_joker: but not him.

hi T.

im a friend of Jean D.>>>> ""martin"" was here in atlanta the other night but i missed out on meeting him, maybe next time.

will you be in KY this weekend?? arent you speaking? i thought i saw your name on the list??

peace
chuckt
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:10:08 PM by chuckt »