Author Topic: Did Jesus exist?  (Read 577 times)

Andromeda_Organa

Did Jesus exist?
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:45:18 AM »
I just had someone on Youtube tell me Jesus didn't exist. Is there historical evidence for Jesus?

Paul Hazelwood

Re: Did Jesus exist?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:02:58 AM »

People try to say that you cannot use the bible as historical evidence that Jesus existed.  The problem with that is they misunderstand the nature of evidence or they use an argument of fallacy to try to demand that if their personal criteria for evidence is not met then there is none.

Before the "bible" the texts that have been translated to the "bible" are historical finds.

Concerning historical evidence, thats historical evidence.   Doesn't matter if someone does not believe or says it is not evidence, it indeed is.

Andromeda_Organa

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 02:57:06 AM »
I never hear people saying Buddha or Muhammed didn't exist. :girlheart:

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:11:53 AM »
People try to say that you cannot use the bible as historical evidence that Jesus existed.  The problem with that is they misunderstand the nature of evidence or they use an argument of fallacy to try to demand that if their personal criteria for evidence is not met then there is none.
Before the "bible" the texts that have been translated to the "bible" are historical finds.
Concerning historical evidence, thats historical evidence.   Doesn't matter if someone does not believe or says it is not evidence, it indeed is.

:thumbsup:

Andro, I'd say that's one proof that Jesus is Who He says He is...the concerted effort to disprove Him...He's "dangerous" and always has been...He is a threat to the world and the world system (including the religious systems)...He said don't marvel when the world hates you, that they hated Him first...God's blessing, Js
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:13:32 AM by jabcat »
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

martincisneros

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 04:44:49 AM »
There's a lot of occultic teachers that'll say that Jesus never existed and that'll say that the 4 Gospels are constructions over the first few hundred years of Christianity as pagan myth was ransacked by the Romans to produce this new religion.  But there's too many references outside of the New Testament in the first century to Jesus, like Josephus, Tacitus, Seneca, Nero, Philo, Pliny and various others that mention Jesus. 

Lots of the books that'll be cited that Jesus never existed either as primary sources or in recently published books were books written during the Enlightenment prior to all of the major discoveries of the 19th and 20th centuries to the contrary.

A great book to get your hands on with evidences is a book by Josh McDowell called "More Than A Carpenter."  He's also got two or three volumes with the title "Evidence That Demands A Verdict."  What I like about the "More Than A Carpenter" book is that it's small and can be read in an evening or two, or a third at the most if your homework load with school was just impossible.  I'm genuinely not sure if it's the whole book because google books isn't dial-up friendly, but here's the google version at google books, although it might just be teaser rather than the whole book:

More Than A Carpenter at google books
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:47:51 AM by martincisneros »

Andromeda_Organa

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 02:29:49 PM »
thanks Martin. I think one of the best proofs for Jesus is that he's kept me alive- not Allah, Brahman, Zeus, or Buddha.

Offline chuckt

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
I just had someone on Youtube tell me Jesus didn't exist. Is there historical evidence for Jesus?

the calander  :happygrin:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 10:21:37 PM »

There is proof (genealogy). Also for His father, mothers and several of His (half) brothers and sisters.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...