Author Topic: Assurance  (Read 863 times)

Paul Hazelwood

Assurance
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »

I posted this on another forum and just wanted to share it here.   I cannot speak for everyone, I believe some as much as they want to believe all men are saved still often struggle with their own salvation.   At the very least, if we are seeing a willingness in ourselves to even entertain the idea of accepting Christ then we should at least have assurances that it is a worth while under taking.

I believe that the assurance for all mankind, is the only reason we as believers can be confident that we are not going to awaken to the big   "SURPRISE  YOUR DAMNED FOREVER".

Here is the post.

I understand that most people hope for salvation and they hope for it for others. I personally do not take the position that just because someone disagrees with me that they are bad, and hope for others punishment.

I see in scripture such wonderful hope and assurance. I do not see all the warnings in the bible as this picture of despair and doom, I see it as plain facts that it is better to live the best way we can.

This is a personal thing more than people wish to see. We can all look around and think someone just needs to believe this way or these people shouldn't do this or that. I find joy in many things that are uncomfortable to others, if it is uncomfortable to them then they think I need what they have.

We have wonderful assurance that Gods character is good and can be understood. Be careful to not listen to points that make an assertion that is based on "what if" or "better safe than sorry" "we cannot comprehend" or anything similar just to say your wrong, that is not how the rock solid God conducts business.

1Jn 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

I do not believe scripture tells the story of anyone being born that does not always have hope.

The accusers can post and say whatever they want, this post is for them, but it is not dependant upon their agreement. As long as you can say that someone can be excluded, there are enough scriptures that you cannot rightly prove that you yourself will not be excluded. That is not hope and it will not spread hope or the good news to anyone.

So, I take the position that God gets to decide and he decides based on scriptures that give assurance. No this is not about "being saved anyway" you will not be able to apply that phrase to me, as I believe every single human being is accountable for what they do. I just do not read scripture and find such damning punishment to be literally eternal.

Any trial that any person goes through can seem like forever, or while its going on you cannot perceive the end. Thats the abstract layer of scripture concerning Gods wonderful love and correction.

God does not free us from the consequences of our actions, God does not stop teaching us things, God is the perfect father. And like our children and when we were children punishments did not last FOREVER but they sure seem like it.

Our correction is temporary, our fiery trials are temporary, no matter who you are or what you have done. Some may take longer than others, but it is always for the glory of the Father. God may not free you from the law of reaping what you sow and it doesn't matter if you think you can pray it away.

If we decide through intepretation that our earthly death then prevents God from saving our soul, then there is no point of him having the keys to death and Hell as written in some translations.

Re 1:18 I [am] he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

And even if you find yourself in hell and come to the realization that you screwed up royally, well, God will be there.

Ps86:13 For great [is] thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.
Ps 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou [art] there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou [art there].

People can now contend context and word translation, and thats fine, but God gives everyone hope and assurance for however long it takes.

Lk 15:4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

This is not about finding peace for whatever you do, it is about having peace DESPITE what you do.

1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world.

Don't let anyone tell you different by using the words context, twisting, fairy tale, or any other such nonsense that has little aim but to bring you down. Rest in the assurance of God.

Offline chuckt

Re: Assurance
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:49:26 PM »
hello.

my assurance is in Christ Jesus and the Father being a RIGHTEOUS judge.

i feel for those that struggle with these things and fear is a killer, before i was awakened, all i saw in scripture was doom. for me and others.

good topic.

chuckt

Offline claypot

• Bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:32:48 AM »
Good stuff Paul.

I sometimes really wonder why the Bible was written. Doesn't it seem that it causes more confusion and trouble than it helps? It has caused wars of every kind. Even right now today, people fight and argue because of it in big and small ways.

You seem to be using common sense in your post and it speaks much. I'm not saying the Bible shouldn't have been written but I do wonder what we would be like as a 'world' if it never was. God would still move in people's minds and hearts.

I think we need to re-think God's purpose for this Book.

cp
For it is God who works in us to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 06:03:13 AM »
Good stuff Paul.

I sometimes really wonder why the Bible was written. Doesn't it seem that it causes more confusion and trouble than it helps? It has caused wars of every kind. Even right now today, people fight and argue because of it in big and small ways.

You seem to be using common sense in your post and it speaks much. I'm not saying the Bible shouldn't have been written but I do wonder what we would be like as a 'world' if it never was. God would still move in people's minds and hearts.

I think in some ways the bible brings out who we really are inside.    I DO speak for myself.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »
Good stuff Paul.

I think in some ways the bible brings out who we really are inside.    I DO speak for myself.

And, then, it changes who we are inside.

Offline claypot

• Bronze
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 02:06:40 PM »
Paul and Molly, couldn't we say that about everything? Life and all things within it tend to work to bring out who we are and then it changes us.

cp
For it is God who works in us to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 09:35:24 PM »
Paul and Molly, couldn't we say that about everything? Life and all things within it tend to work to bring out who we are and then it changes us.

cp

Of course, thats why I know that some of my friends see Christ and have never opened a bible nor ever used the religious assertions for his name.   

Let religion try that on for size.   OOO such a tight fit, knocks the wind clean out of em.  :happy3:

Roy Monis

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 06:19:35 PM »
1Jn 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

I do not believe scripture tells the story of anyone being born that does not always have hope

Dear brother Paul

It's such a joy to read plain good Scriptural sense and not a load of twaddle as we see in some of the posts. Faith backed up by the works of faith not of deeds, with the ever present Hope that we will succeed in maintaining that faith till the glorious Truth arrives which is LOVE.
  Faith - Hope  -  Love, the greatest gift ever. (1Cor.13:13).    Amen!!

Good thread, brother, I hope many will read and take note.

Love is of God……. Love is God……. This comes to all in love
Roy   (UK)