Author Topic: 2 Timothy 3:1-9  (Read 793 times)

Offline Nancy

• Snr
2 Timothy 3:1-9
« on: June 09, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »
Hi

I was reading 'Another Jesus' by GaryA this morning and there was a quotation from 2 Timothy 3 1-9.

St Paul mentions that silly women, who are burdened with sins and lusts, will go from teacher to teacher but who remain incapable of ever arriving at the knowledge of the truth.

Well I felt that that passage was talking about me! I read books by various 'teachers' and in the past have felt very burdened by sins and I also felt that i would never reach the truth about God!!!

My point is that this passage sounds very harsh. If you feel burdened by sins, why did St. Paul consider that to be silly.  It may mean that you don't really believe that God doesn't hold anything against you, but silly!

Am I silly to be reading books other than the bible?

And why did St. Paul feel that they would be incapable of ever arriving at the knowledge of the truth? What prevented them from doing so?

Godbless
Nancy

Paul Hazelwood

Re: 2 Timothy 3:1-9
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:40:26 PM »
Hi

I was reading 'Another Jesus' by GaryA this morning and there was a quotation from 2 Timothy 3 1-9.

St Paul mentions that silly women, who are burdened with sins and lusts, will go from teacher to teacher but who remain incapable of ever arriving at the knowledge of the truth.

Well I felt that that passage was talking about me! I read books by various 'teachers' and in the past have felt very burdened by sins and I also felt that i would never reach the truth about God!!!

My point is that this passage sounds very harsh. If you feel burdened by sins, why did St. Paul consider that to be silly.  It may mean that you don't really believe that God doesn't hold anything against you, but silly!

And why did St. Paul feel that they would be incapable of ever arriving at the knowledge of the truth? What prevented them from doing so?

Godbless
Nancy

Nancy, I do not know you, but I will relay my thoughts concerning some dear friends who read more books than they do the bible itself.  From my observations they are looking for what they want to hear, so they go from book to book, conference to conference in search of that.

I don't believe this is singled out to only women as there are some men who fit what i am writing.

In one case I believe, the person is looking for her self worth in seeing that she has made much better choices than others concerning God and salvation.   I may sound judgmental, but I think this woman is tormented with things she don't dare tell anyone, quite possibly even her husband.   I pray for her because I want so much for her to see that Gods love is so great that her worth in Christ has nothing to do with her choices.

In my opinion when you do not study the scriptures themselves then you will mainly be reading what someone else thinks they mean and right or wrong you will rarely see the full measure of what God has for us in the scriptures.   Books and such can be useful,  but should only be a supplement to getting into the word itself.

And as far as "Silly Women" go,  the root of the hebrew is "little women"  pertaining to "foolish"

Offline Nancy

• Snr
reading the bible
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »
Hi ya Paul,
Thanks for your reply!

The trouble with only reading the bible for me, is that up to now i have hardly understood it, coming from years of going to church and having christendom's interpretation of it and finding it short.  I get very frustrated when i read it, especially parts of the old testament, so much so that it puts me off ever reading it. Just thinking about it frustrates me.  I printed off a book size document with all place names and other names in the bible and their meaning, but i spend so long looking up all the particular names, that at the end, i am none the wiser.
So if i can read a book and it helps interpret the bible better, i will.
Godbless
Nancy

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:44:11 PM »

Hi,

When I read (2Tim. 3:1-9) I don't see it saying that the "women are ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth". I think it is talking about the teachers spoken of in the 1,2,3,4,5,verses. I believe the silly women actually means those women who are weak in faith and believe anything they hear. At least that is what I get from this chapter.

CHB

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 09:27:30 PM »
Hi Nancy.

For mine..scripture speaks of two types of knowledge....the latter is what is spoken in TIMOTHY.

2Ti 3:7  Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 2Ti 3:8  Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith

Which aligns to the LIGHT of Knowlege(the Understanding WHO Christ IS)

2Cr 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to [give] the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

NOT TO BE MISTAKEN with this

Rom 2:16  In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Rom 2:17  Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,

Rom 2:18  And knowest [his] will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;

Rom 2:19  And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness,

Rom 2:20  An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law
Blessings
Taffy
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

martincisneros

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 11:03:47 PM »
Hi

Godbless
Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I was thinking of this very passage that you've brought up, probably 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it wasn't making any sense to me from the standpoint that ancient history isn't Utopian, and ancient Gentiles (and Jews) were not void of these sins so that it would be such a stark contrast with "the last days."

1 Now this know, that in the last days perilous periods will be present,
2 for men will be selfish, fond of money, ostentatious, proud, calumniators, stubborn to parents, ungrateful, malign,
3 without natural affection, implacable, adversaries, uncontrollable, fierce, averse to the good,
4 traitors, rash, conceited, fond of their own gratification rather than fond of God;
5 having a form of devoutness, yet denying its power.
6 These, also, shun. For of these are those who are slipping into homes and are leading into captivity little women, heaped with sins, being led by various lusts and gratifications,
7 always learning and yet not at any time able to come into a realization of the truth.
8 Now, by the method by which Jannes and Jambres withstand Moses, thus these also are withstanding the truth, men of a depraved mind, disqualified as to the faith.
9 But they shall not be progressing more, for their folly shall be obvious to all, as that of those also became.
(2Timothy 3:1-9 Concordant Literal New Testament)

I have a feeling that this passage of Scripture is one of those passages best attributed to the Jews of Paul's day that were obstinant towards the Gospel.  He wrote a lengthier appraisal of them in Romans chapters 2 and 3.  And while I'm not the least bit sure of all things "preterist," the only interpretation that's making sense to me is that this is a description of the Jews that were facing the 70AD judgment with the destruction of Jerusalem.  They'd rejected the Gospel, so Christ had said "Depart from Me, ye workers of iniquity into the fire prepared for the devil and his angels." because they'd called Him, or at least His Father "Lord, Lord," but hadn't done the will of His Father.  Jesus had addressed their sins and their hypocrisy in saying that if a child dishonors his parents in the name of "Korban," or "an act of devotion to God," then they weren't obligated to honor their Father and Mother.  That interpretation of the commandments of God didn't fly with Jesus.  You could probably see the frustration on His face about those who'd "made the commandments of God of none effect through their traditions."  (which included apocalyptic traditions)

He wasn't criticizing women in this passage that were searching, but religious hypocrits who were:

6 ...For of these are those who are slipping into homes and are leading into captivity little women, heaped with sins, being led by various lusts and gratifications,
7 always learning and yet not at any time able to come into a realization of the truth.
8 Now, by the method by which Jannes and Jambres withstand Moses, thus these also are withstanding the truth, men of a depraved mind, disqualified as to the faith.
9 But they shall not be progressing more, for their folly shall be obvious to all, as that of those also became.

It wasn't talking about the women being heaped with sins, but the religious leaders that were always learning and yet not at any time able to come into a realization of the truth, i.e., following in the pattern of those who withstood Moses -- the implication being that these also withstood Christ, because they were men of a depraved mind, disqualified as to the faith -- but with the judgment of 70AD, they progressed no further, for their folly was obvious to all who remembered the Words of our Lord Jesus about not one stone being left upon another, but it would all be thrown down.

Keep reading.  Keep reading.  Prioritize the Bible and books that present interpretations of various passages of the Bible.  But don't ever be afraid to read, to test everything, and to hold fast to the good (1Thessalonians 5) :cloud9: :HeartThrob: