Author Topic: Why is death a feared thing?  (Read 4929 times)

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
Why is death a feared thing?
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
Why are men afraid of death?
Why do we who claim to love the Lord and all that He says is true, why do we fight the unexpected end called death?
Why is death a feared step in our walk?
Is death the end?
Does death mean its over when a soul quits breathing?
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Re: Why is death a feared thing?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »
Never been afraid of death. It's one of the least bad things that can happen in a life  :2c:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:37:42 PM »
For me, the source of the fear is not from spirit but from soul.  It's afraid because it can not see.  If it can't see it, then it can't control it.  If it can't control it, then as a reflexive personal defensive measure, it releases fear because fear is the greatest motivator to iniate control.  If you don't want someone to go somehere or do something, you make them afraid so they'll respond to your wishes.  It's the way of carnality.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:17:31 PM »
The three musketeers  :grin:

Syndicated

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:28:35 PM »
I work with the elderly, and I see all too often they ask for death to come and end their suffering frequently.  They are old, their bodies have failed, their minds have lost the ability to retain anything anymore, there's lots of confusion and fear going on within them, and they are asking to die.  I will agree that some of them do fear death, but it's more a fear of the unknown.  However I have seen that when the time comes for them to be called, they are more than willing to answer.

Younger people will fear death because they feel that they have so much more to experience in life, so they may feel that they're going to be loosing out.

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »
Why do we who claim to love the Lord and all that He says is true, why do we fight the unexpected end called death?
Is death the end?

Hi Micah,

I don't fear death, just wonder about it because no one can really tell you what its all about. I have often wondered why Lazarus didn't talk more about his experience with death? Maybe because there isn't ANYTHING to report? In death there is NOTHING going on and the dead do not know they are dead. No time, pain, or anything to be remembered.

I know death is not the end but it is the end of this life as we know it now. I await for a better life and body without all the pain, suffering and heartache.

I guess you could say, "I am not afraid of dying, it's the thought of being dead".

CHB
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:57:42 PM by CHB »

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 07:09:45 PM »
Is death the end?

Hi Micah,

I don't fear death, just wonder about it because no one can really tell you what its all about. I have often wondered why Lazarus didn't talk more about his experience with death? Maybe because there isn't ANYTHING to report? In death there is NOTHING going on and the dead do not know they are dead. No time, pain, or anything to be remembered.

I know death is not the end but it is the end of this life as we know it now. I await for a better life and body without all the pain, suffering and heartache.

I guess you could say, "I am not afraid of dying, it's the thought of being dead".

CHB

That about sums it up for me as well. Thanks :bigGrin:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 09:30:18 PM »
Interestingly enough, Revelation tells us that in the last days men will seek death and not find it.

That's the opposite of men fearing death.   Do the death-seekers consider death to be oblivion?

But, what if its not?

And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.

--Rev 9:6

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »
I guess after re reading my OP, my real question in my thought was, as a called believer in Jesus Christ and believing that when you expire you are told  you are going to a better place.( I don't want to get into any discussion on this outside of what the Christian religion teaches.)
What I mean why do believers have this great sense to hold on to this life considering one is going to a better place? :HeartThrob:

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
For me, the answer doesn't really change.  Christian or not, I think God placed in all of us an instinct to embrace life.  It "could" be because if he didn't, knowing how carnality works . . .we'd commit suicide at the first sign of trouble.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »
I think that's exactly part of it Nathan - our "natural", survival instinct.

OTOH, as a believer especially, we do have better to look forward to.  Paul made multiple statements about being absent in body is to be present with Christ, for him to live is Christ, to die is gain, etc.  There is also encouragement to set our minds on "things above", and not to be "encumbered with the things of this world".

So for me, there's a balance - live a joyful, thankful, surrendered life here, for whatever time God gives us.  But to look forward to the time when this fleshly veil is rent, and our mortality takes on immortality - to not be so wrapped in the day-to-day cares of this life (money, housing, food, jobs, etc.) that our focus is off the heavenly/spiritual.  Then we not only live well here, in God's will, we're ready to pass to the other side.

I think my dad did it the right way.  He was a very strong believer.  He enjoyed life, gave God the credit and thanks for all the blessings, but still very much considered, in the words of the old hymn, "this world is not my home, I'm only passing through.  My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue..."   When his old earthly body betrayed him and there was no natural hope for recovery, he stopped taking the medications that were propping up his old flesh.  After some time at home, he went into hospice.  He saw things there before he passed that were beyond our comprehension.  He asked once, "into the air", "am I supposed to speak English"? (he spoke no other language).  He kept looking "into the distance" and described beautiful colors he was seeing, stating something like "there's thousands of them".  Once he said "we're out into glory!"  After 2 weeks in hospice, he peacefully went to sleep in Jesus.
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »
I probably would have been sitting next to him with a notebook in my lap and nudging him whenever he drifted off to see if he'd say anything more . . .that sounds so inviting!!

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 10:38:14 PM »
"I think God placed in all of us an instinct to embrace life."

Okay, from what I have read from Genesis to Revelation, death has been the prominent voice from Gen. 2:17 to Rev. 1:18
and that we have to die to live. I suggest that "that instinct" you speak of is the carnal thinking of man.
What do you think of
Joh 12:25  he who is loving his life shall lose it, and he who is hating his life in this world--to life age-during shall keep it;

Just what is so important about this life, should we not be using it to be a witness, then what's its worth?
I know of the human emotion but yet is that not also carnal? When we die we are remember for awhile and then forgotten for awhile, then remembered. Yes there is a sadness for those left behind. :HeartThrob:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 10:48:29 PM »
Without that instinct most people won't even live to the age of 10. Fear of death and pain stops you from doing things that harms the body.
There is a very rare illness that makes people totally immume to pain. I've read a story of a mother with such a child. It's a real horror. The child puts a hot iron of his arm just because it smells funny. Jumps off a table and lands on the knees because it makes funny noise. That child was five and spend more time in hospitakl with burn wound, cuts and broken bones than a dozen adults combined. Pain is a bad thing to have. But needless to say a whole world like that kid simply won't survive. Even pain/fear has a positive function.

Besides of that many people don't want to die because the enjoy life. Not because they fear death. They want to continue the life they like.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 10:53:31 PM »
Without that instinct most people won't even live to the age of 10. Fear of death and pain stops you from doing things that harms the body.
There is a very rare illness that makes people totally immume to pain. I've read a story of a mother with such a child. It's a real horror. The child puts a hot iron of his arm just because it smells funny. Jumps off a table and lands on the knees because it makes funny noise. That child was five and spend more time in hospitakl with burn wound, cuts and broken bones than a dozen adults combined. Pain is a bad thing to have. But needless to say a whole world like that kid simply won't survive. Even pain/fear has a positive function.

Besides of that many people don't want to die because the enjoy life. Not because they fear death. They want to continue the life they like.

:thumbsup:

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 12:34:50 AM »
Yes, agreed.

I also agree many of us focus on and hang onto "worldly" things to the point of losing sight of the real things - spiritual - so we don't have the longing, the spiritual confidence that comes from walking in close relationship with Father, daily savoring His grace and love - i.e., living in the kingdom.  For me personally, the opposite side of being in the kingdom has been fear, insecurity, and unfulfillment.

Also along the lines of fear, even for some believers I believe there can be fear of the unknown, fear of "am I really secure in what I believe, what if I am actually in for some hard times?".   I know for a fact there are people walking around who believe, but still have a whole lot of   "Lord, help my unbelief".  They may not feel as secure or ready to cross over as others.  Again, I take my sister for example.  I believe she is a child of God, saved by grace.  She has called on Him for salvation and forgiveness, has "tried to live a Christian life", but because of her own weaknesses, her upbringing, her mental illness issue, just feels unworthy/unable to be saved, forgiven, secure in God's love and grace.  I'd imagine, as miserable as her life is sometimes, that she'd hang onto it pretty hard, due to fear and not really knowing what's "over there" waiting for her.  :(
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:39:02 AM by jabcat »
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 12:39:53 AM »
I probably would have been sitting next to him with a notebook in my lap and nudging him whenever he drifted off to see if he'd say anything more . . .that sounds so inviting!!

You don't know how many times I've kicked myself for not asking him more questions, really digging into what he was experiencing.  I've felt that was a very rare opportunity lost.  :(

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 12:56:57 AM »
Yes, agreed.

I also agree many of us focus on and hang onto "worldly" things to the point of losing sight of the real things - spiritual - so we don't have the longing, the spiritual confidence that comes from walking in close relationship with Father, daily savoring His grace and love - i.e., living in the kingdom.  For me personally, the opposite side of being in the kingdom has been fear, insecurity, and unfulfillment.

Also along the lines of fear, even for some believers I believe there can be fear of the unknown, fear of "am I really secure in what I believe, what if I am actually in for some hard times?".   I know for a fact there are people walking around who believe, but still have a whole lot of   "Lord, help my unbelief".  They may not feel as secure or ready to cross over as others.  Again, I take my sister for example.  I believe she is a child of God, saved by grace.  She has called on Him for salvation and forgiveness, has "tried to live a Christian life", but because of her own weaknesses, her upbringing, her mental illness issue, just feels unworthy/unable to be saved, forgiven, secure in God's love and grace.  I'd imagine, as miserable as her life is sometimes, that she'd hang onto it pretty hard, due to fear and not really knowing what's "over there" waiting for her.  :(

Hey my Friend and brother take comfort in this snippet from Rodger Tutt. I sent it to everyone I know whether they believe or not. I'm 66 and my dad was 49 when alcohol took him, I have been so much more at ease knowing that the God of his religion(Lutheran) was a lie and that Only True Father God loves ALL His creation. I never got a chance to tell my dad that I was sorry for all my youthful stupidities. That has been a great and heavy burden I've carried, it rears up sometimes...I pray it away. Harold Robbins who wrote "A Stone For Danny Fischer" open his book with these words, " To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die." A very interesting thought. :bigGrin: Dave and is so good to be LOVED by The Father even when I'm bad. :dsunny:

Snippet: THE PROBLEM OF EVIL JOHN H. ESSEX

"All creation remains within the care and keeping of its Creator. The vessels which become marred never leave the hand of the Potter; they are marred while still in His hand. The lesson that was taught Jeremiah (Jer. 18:4), though to be interpreted as relating to Israel, nevertheless embodies a principle which is sustained throughout the whole outworking of God's purpose. He holds all in the hollow of His hand, and though He may allow, and even cause, some of His creatures to temporarily turn away from Him, He never lets them go. That is why Paul can write in Romans 8:20, 'For to vanity was the creation subjected, not voluntarily, but because of Him Who subjects it, in expectation that the creation itself , also, shall be freed from the slavery of corruption into the glorious freedom of the children of God."

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
 :thumbsup:  Amen.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »

I did not read what Nathan said yet, but your statement is correct. I watched a program where a young girl was immune to pain, she would jump around and do crazy stunts all the time and often broke her bones. The parents had to keep a eye on her at all times.

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 11:35:29 PM »
I fear death for several reasons.  One is that I don't want my children to grow up without a dad.  I also don't want to leave my wife or experience any pain associated with death.

Also, if I look real hard and I'm really honest, I fear God's judgment.  And as much as I believe my sins have been bought and paid for by Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the Cross...I have a side of myself that fears God handing out justice rather than grace to me.  I fear disappointing God, and feeling His disappointment up close and personal.

So while I have some spiritual insights, there is a part of me that just doesn't get it.  There are still walls in my spirit that keep me from freedom and fully embracing God's love and grace.  And in the end, I think that is why I personally fear death more than anything else.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 12:10:45 AM »
I fear death for several reasons.  One is that I don't want my children to grow up without a dad.  I also don't want to leave my wife or experience any pain associated with death.

Also, if I look real hard and I'm really honest, I fear God's judgment.  And as much as I believe my sins have been bought and paid for by Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the Cross...I have a side of myself that fears God handing out justice rather than grace to me.  I fear disappointing God, and feeling His disappointment up close and personal.

So while I have some spiritual insights, there is a part of me that just doesn't get it.  There are still walls in my spirit that keep me from freedom and fully embracing God's love and grace.  And in the end, I think that is why I personally fear death more than anything else.

Have you been reading my personal notes?

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 12:14:26 AM »
The only thing I fear about death is leaving my daughter and wife behind and them having to hurt.  My aunt died right before christmas last year, I was a little jealous of her.  Don't worry I'm not suicidal, I just am tired of this world (and I'm only 33).  If my whole family were on a plane together and it went down, I would be happy, I just wouldn't want to leave anyone behind to mourn.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 12:17:39 AM »

To me, I think much of it has to do with personality, how we're raised and influenced as to how we think and view things.    Like Shawn said, I have different parts of me that see it different ways;  one part can think it through and see all the reasons it's good, the other can think it through and see "reasons" to be fearful.

Your eyes will see strange things, and your mind will imagine confusing things. Proverbs 22:33

It's why we need to keep our focus on Him, His grace, His abilities, love, His promises, etc... renewing our minds in Him.  I know first-hand it's more of a challenge for some than for others.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »

Who can stand before Him?

what manner of man is this?

Deuteronomy 4:10
 Specially the day that thou stoodest before the LORD thy God in Horeb, when the LORD said unto me, Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children.

Let all the ends of the Earth fear his name, may the enemy fear Him, cleanse the Earth of all unrighteousness.

17And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.