Author Topic: When do we people go to the afterlife  (Read 9526 times)

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: When do we people go to the afterlife
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 12:47:32 AM »
I take it you're an atheist.

i'll help out here...i know ID enough to know he's not an atheist, and I'm confident what he's saying is that he doesn't believe in conscious activity after death PRIOR to the resurrection...I'm pretty sure that's what he meant by 'afterlife'....

I was about to post but after reading this, thank for helping out when I am not around, I am a  believer and love God so much, but afterlife doesn't make sense to me because that defeat jesus's death on the cross purpose and for nothing.

Understood bro...WW, no contact, no Bibles  :sigh:...  I'll keep trying to get you one.
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 01:15:19 AM »
Jesus, in his ministries, said that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is the God of the living and not the dead.

I assume this is the verse you reffer to:
Mark 12:27   He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.
A few verses earlier:
Mark 12:18   Then come unto him the Sadducees, which say there is no resurrection; and they asked him, saying,

So Jesus is just saying there will be resurrection. But I see no mentioning of immediate resurrection.
Between those 2 verses there is an example of remarriage.
Mark 12:23  In the resurrection therefore, when they shall rise, ....
Mark 12:25  For when they shall rise from the dead....

To me the verses speak about ressurrection but not instantly. Stickly speaking resurrection can't even exist if you see death as steping through a door from this world to heaven. To resurrect someone he/she has to be dead.
Even Jesus was dead for a few days.

And:
Revelation 20:5  But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
Some stay dead, at least, 1000 years.
It's the first resurrection. Billions of people died since Adam. If they all are in heaven now it would not the 1st resurrection.

18The Sadducees did not believe that people would rise to life after death. So some of them came to Jesus and said:

19Teacher, Moses wrote that if a married man dies and has no children, his brother should marry the widow. Their first son would then be thought of as the son of the dead brother. 20There were once seven brothers. The first one married, but died without having any children. 21The second brother married his brother's widow, and he also died without having children. The same thing happened to the third brother, 22and finally to all seven brothers. At last the woman died. 23When God raises people from death, whose wife will this woman be? After all, she had been married to all seven brothers.

24Jesus answered:

You are completely wrong! You don't know what the Scriptures teach. And you don't know anything about the power of God. 25When God raises people to life, they won't marry. They will be like the angels in heaven. 26You surely know about people being raised to life. You know that in the story about Moses and the burning bush, God said, "I am the God worshiped by Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."  27He isn't the God of the dead, but of the living. You Sadducees are all wrong.

--Mark 12

Interesting.  Jesus references Moses at the burning bush where God identified himself as the God [present tense] of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  Well, of course, those three were dead when God said that to Moses. But, Jesus is saying here that God is speaking of them as living.   And, Jesus goes on to say that he is the God of the living, not the God of the dead.

We do see Moses appear with Christ at the transfiguration.  So,  that says to me that these never 'died.'

He's not the God of the formerly living, but the God of the living.

wow.  Very cool.

6Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.

--Exodus 3

Offline Pierac

• Bronze
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 03:27:29 AM »
But those verses, the way you're interpreting them, contradict the words of Jesus on the Cross to the thief that he would be with him in Paradise.  Jesus, in his ministries, said that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is the God of the living and not the dead.  Please clarify your position further.

Many have already discussed the issue on commas and such, so no need for me to address that issue, However, there are other issues as we will see when reading this scripture...

Luk 23:43  And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

To think that the theif on the cross would be with Jesus in Paradise on this very day overlooks one very important issue.  Jesus was Dead, and Jesus stayed dead for 3 days...

Mat 16:21  From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.

Mat 17:23  and they will kill Him, and He will be raised on the third day." And they were deeply grieved.

Luk 9:22  saying, "The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed and be raised up on the third day."

Luk 24:46  and He said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day,

Act 10:40  "God raised Him (Jesus) up on the third day and granted that He become visible,

Hopefully, you get the picture, Jesus was not in Paradise on the day He spoke those words, as Jesus was DEAD!

Peace,
Paul

IceDash

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 03:48:46 AM »
How would an afterlife defeat Jesus' purpose on the Cross?  Do you not believe 1John when it says in a couple of places that we have passed from death to life and that we have eonian life right now?

That not what I meant martin, the bible said that we wait for the return of Jesus and also we sleep until the rise of the dead, no one passed into afterlife, there is no afterlife, if it is, there no need for jesus's death on cross if we can rise ourselve, it's doesn't make sense at all.

However, there something I still confused when jesus died on the cross, the ghost who rise in the grave was open and they walk around the holy city the moment Jesus died...hmmmm, who was those ghost?

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 09:17:46 AM »
Interesting.  Jesus references Moses at the burning bush where God identified himself as the God [present tense] of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  Well, of course, those three were dead when God said that to Moses. But, Jesus is saying here that God is speaking of them as living.   And, Jesus goes on to say that he is the God of the living, not the God of the dead.

We do see Moses appear with Christ at the transfiguration.  So,  that says to me that these never 'died.'

He's not the God of the formerly living, but the God of the living.
I see your point Molly. But I don't agree that it is the only possible interpretation.
I've rewritten this answer several times but just can find a way to put down my exact thoughts on it.
The rough version simply is: God of the living = A God that doesn't let the dead stay dead forever.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:35:28 AM by WhiteWings »
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 09:34:09 AM »
Many have already discussed the issue on commas and such, so no need for me to address that issue, However, there are other issues as we will see when reading this scripture...

Luk 23:43  And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

To think that the theif on the cross would be with Jesus in Paradise on this very day overlooks one very important issue.  Jesus was Dead, and Jesus stayed dead for 3 days...

Mat 16:21  From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.
Hopefully, you get the picture, Jesus was not in Paradise on the day He spoke those words, as Jesus was DEAD!
Dead for 3 days. I also mentioned that. But you wrote it down much more clearly/convincing :thumbsup:
But there is more!  :laughing7:
According to some Jesus was not just dead but preaching in hell. That would mean even more the opposite.
So unto this point we have Jesus was dead or in hell (I'm not a follower of the hell variation)
Then keep reading and you find:
At dawn:
John 20:17  Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father....

At evening:
John 20:19  Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, ....
John 20:27  Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands......

It seems somewhere between those verses (=resurrection day) Jesus ascended.

John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »

:cloud9: So do you think the comma here should  have been behind today instead?

"Truly I say to you today, you shall be with Me in Paradise."
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 04:25:28 AM »
The Christian Bible (1991)...one of the most literal to the early Greek manuscripts;

Then He said to him, "Amen [truly], I say to you today, you will be with Me in Paradise"
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 05:16:06 AM »
 :cloud9: I got it. Makes sense to me.... :thumbsup:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 01:27:57 AM »
I'm not sure it's right, but wanted to be sure you saw it...I think it may be right...someone, I believe WW, earlier made a good point about Jesus being dead 3 days, yet I believe He proclaimed to those being held captive  :dontknow:.  I think it's s/w confusing.  Have we thought that it could sort of be a mixture of the opposing views?  In that, as far as this life/world, one is dead...but yet scripture states our spirit returns to God...so our spirit's not dead is it?  I tended to think there was a sort of holding place, i.e. 'paradise', awaiting the judgment..I forget what the O.T. calls it...could that be with God, where our spirits are held prior to judgment?   I'm just really not sure how it all fits together... The sermon this morning at my wife's "church" was about heaven (with a quick, "or hell"..wife said, "where'd he read that"?).  Of course he said we're immediately in heaven, but without our glorified bodies, which we don't get until Jesus returns...he said he wasn't sure what type body we had in the meantime, I believe he called it temporary or interim  :dunno2:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:36:18 AM by jabcat »

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 03:14:37 AM »
Luke 23:43
And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

"paradise"
G3857
παράδεισος
paradeisos
par-ad'-i-sos
Of Oriental origin (compare [H6508]); a park, that is, (specifically) an Eden (place of future happiness, "paradise"): - paradise.

H6508
פּרדּס
pardês
par-dace'
Of foreign origin; a park: - forest, orchard.

Guess what?  If it's Eden we are talking about, the tree of life is there.  And, if the tree of life is there--so is Jesus.

Why does everyone try to put God in a box?

I've been out of my body twice.  But I still had a 'spirit body' during these episodes, and, naturally, also my right mind. :happygrin:

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 08:27:05 AM »
I'm not sure it's right, but wanted to be sure you saw it...I think it may be right...someone, I believe WW, earlier made a good point about Jesus being dead 3 days, yet I believe He proclaimed to those being held captive  :dontknow:

Those held captive are in prison. Would you qualify Heaven as prison? The prison, for me can only be 2 things.
Hell or death. Either way it wasn't heaven.
The thief could be in hell with Jesus but then Jesus made a huge mistake just before He died by mixing up heaven and hell.

/edit I'm sure the captive verse is a parble because it conflicts with so many other verses. Might be a good other thread. I'm interested in the meaning of it. ETs see it as proof of before judgement hell. Some say Jesus came and emptied the paradise side (Abrahams bossom) "of death"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:30:36 AM by WhiteWings »

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »
If something I said sounded like I meant heaven was prison, that's not what I meant at all.  I just think there are multiple possibilities...maybe 'prison's' even a third option, a sort of holding place...I really don't know.

Sheol is the O.T. place I earlier couldn't think of...this from Wikapedia;  "The phrase "Bosom of Abraham" refers to the place of comfort in sheol (Greek: hades) ... dead were gathered into a general tarrying-place, the sheol of the Old Testament .... the good, the wicked awaiting judgment at the resurrection..."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:41:46 AM by jabcat »

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 08:58:09 AM »
If something I said sounded like I meant heaven was prison, that's not what I meant at all. 
I'm in no way implying that jabcat.
When you mentioned 'captive' I remembered an article from an ET site that wrote that during the death of Jesus' His spirit was in hell either to preach to the damned (=prisoners) or undergo torture as a payment for our sins.
I tried to show the contrast with heaven. If Jesus wan't really dead He was in hell. And that is completly opposite what He said to the thief.
Either Jesus:
a] Was dead today = lied to the thief because death is no Heaven.
b] Was in hell toady = lied because hell is not heaven. It's the opposite.

I hope this clears things up al little. Today  :happygrin:

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 09:17:34 AM »
Simple, after Jesus died He went several places as a spirit.  There are spirits you know!

One thing I've noticed is that many people think they know what happens in death.  Yet, they're only going on hearsay and a couple of Bble verses.  Traditions of men are not to be trusted.  Scripture is good; but, the whole thing must be in view.  I know God reveals things to those who diligently seek Him.  To keep seeking for mysteries to be revealed and to keep studying to be aware of what is recorded in Scripture:  this should be our manner of life.  Amazing, the intensity of certainty concerning how it is when you die for so many that have no experience or revelation to inform them!
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
Good points James.

WW, I don't know how to put all this together, bro.  I thought I had a better handle on this before this thread was started  :laughing7:.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 04:45:17 PM »
Simple, after Jesus died He went several places as a spirit.  There are spirits you know!

To keep seeking for mysteries to be revealed and to keep studying to be aware of what is recorded in Scripture:  this should be our manner of life.  Amazing, the intensity of certainty concerning how it is when you die for so many that have no experience or revelation to inform them!

:cloud9: Amen James. But as for me, I DO have experience and revelation to inform me. I was taken there (in spirit) with His Spirit, while awake and in the presence of 4 witnesses/participants, with the end result of one being raised (their soul) out of Sheol. This was NOT what I believed (or the people with me) prior to this experience. God has a way  :mshock: of making our beliefs bow the knee in the face of direct intervention by His Spirit. Blessings...

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 01:47:24 AM »
I don't want to hijack this thread Card, but I have 2 questions maybe you can answer somewhere...or maybe they do fit here in terms of understanding this particular topic...

Earlier somewhere you said you had smelled demons, and they smelt 'burnt'...wondering more about that, especially how it may fit with the thought of us being lowered into this realm, and this possibly being the LoF...

Also, what can you tell us about your experience with Sheol?  What it was like, how does it fit with some of our wonderings in this thread?

Thanks, James.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:48:55 AM by jabcat »

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 03:42:56 AM »
 :cloud9: Hi James.....He never really gave me anything pertaining to WHY they smell like smoke, but then again I didn't ask, either. The smelling of smoke where there is no smoke is one "tip off" that there is an unholy presence.

The other smell associated with them really stumped me, until someone else told me they smelled it too; when they had to go to the morgue for a relative. When she asked the undertaker what it was, he told her it was the smell of death. I recognized the smell finally as something I had smelled in my childhood.....ether; what dentists used to use. It is sickeningly sweet. I had no idea why they would smell of that, then I read that (pardon me for the graphic explanations) decomposing matter in it's break down process, produces ether. They ARE death.

I have never smelled it, but I have read of people that claim that the Lord's presence to them sometimes had a smell, the smell of roses. Clearly, both of these manifestations, the good and the bad, are spiritually discerned as they are above the abilities our natural senses.

As for Sheol, I shared some of it before. I want to make it plain is NOT like other's descriptions of the "hell" they saw. The soul is trapped in whatever it did not overcome in life in the body, but the spirit returns to the One who sent it. This is the realm that Jesus went to when He was "dead" those 3 days.

If you understand that that too is a pattern of what He is STILL doing, then it follows that He would be interceding in that fashion now also. He said He would do cures and cast out devils for 2 days. Doing "cures" is not just a physical healing manifestation. Healing means at it's essence, to be MADE WHOLE, ie. two parts united, soul and spirit in agreement or covenant.

As He gave me, the RE-union of the soul and spirit IS the first resurrection and the reason why many arose with Him and were seen by many witnesses as it is recorded. When my relative died that I experienced this over, I kept asking the Lord for months, to tell me what happened when we die, no fairy tales. I could not, would not, rest until I had an explanation of something that was shown to me prior to their death. I had no idea the explanation was going to be a "show and tell" type of revelation and involve me being taken in the spirit with Him.

What occurred is that the things that had kept the soul from ascending, like malice, for instance, after repentance came apparently, He used those present to remove the chains that bound. If any have ever read a book by a Dr. Eby who said he was taken into "hell" he said it had stone like walls like a cave. Well, the Lord showed me that what happens is, we descend into our own STONY hearts, and are confronted with what we have given life to, ie. out of the HEART OF MAN proceeds murders, lusts, ect. The Word says we are judged with OUR OWN wickedness, and this is that.

He had mercy on me in that I did not have to see this person's condition in that state, as the shock of it and the grief of seeing it, even for a moment would probably have seriously messed me up. But I descended with Him into it, was aware of that person's thoughts of their heart thru His Spirit and also what had them bound as HE delivered them up out of it.

This happened less than a year after the person died, and I have to wonder if the Jews practice of saying prayers for the dead for up to one year, doesn't have some spiritual significance. At any rate, it is not eternal, but rather a sanctification process that apparently never ends until ALL are brought back into Him. Blessings....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:51:41 AM by Cardinal »

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 04:11:34 AM »
VERY interesting and uplifting.  Thanks!

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2009, 04:29:08 AM »
Sometimes Jesus smells like cedars of Lebanan or myrrh...sometimes like concord grape wine.
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 04:45:40 AM »
 :cloud9: I can see that...... :thumbsup:

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 08:08:50 AM »
I'm feelin' it too!  Stirring up of the gift... 
...the seven locks of Samson's hair...
and, "...like the good oil on the head, descending on the beard, Aaron's beard, which is descending over the slit of his coats." (Ps 133)

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 09:17:52 AM »
 :cloud9: Praise God, rejoicing with you  :thumbsup:  :banana: :egyptdance: :boogie:

Offline Zero7

• Full
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2009, 08:35:07 PM »
:cloud9: Well, I don't agree that we "sleep" until the resurrection, so I guess I differ from the "official" version. I know there is a purgatory type of existence wherein the soul is separated at death from the spirit of man. The Spirit returns to the One that sent it, but the soul stays trapped temporarily in whatever it did not overcome thru the Spirit of Christ while still in the body. This is why David said, "Thou wilt not suffer my SOUL to be in Sheol (separated from God/Spirit)."

The re-union of the soul and spirit IS the first resurrection, typified by the first set of curtains or veil the priest had to walk thru,. In the temple there was a river that ran underground (out of your belly shall flow rivers of living water) that the priests were to use to carry off the blood from sacrifices. The life is in the blood; this blood in us spiritually speaking, is our soul. This is why it says out of the HEART OF MAN cometh fornications, idolatries, ect. We're saved in order; spirit, SOUL and body. Blessings....

Cardinal, you come through once again  :thumbsup: