Author Topic: Hell  (Read 4509 times)

Offline FineLinen

Hell
« on: March 01, 2008, 12:08:31 AM »
Hell occurs 54 times in the Bible KJV

Actually you have missed a few passages. There are 54 Scriptures that have translated sheol, hades, gehenna, and tartaroo as hell in the K.J.V. What you have not presented are the passages that are rooted in the same word sheol in Hebrew, and which the K.J.V. translators saw fit to translate as "pit" or "grave".

And then we come to the New Covenant where in the K.J.V. we read "O death, where is thy sting: O grave, where is thy victory." 

To be consistent, it should read "O death, where is thy sting: O hell, where is thy victory."

Grave= a/&dh= hades

So, we now have added to the 54 passages, the passages translated as grave or pit, and the passage in 1 Cor. 15:55 translated as grave, from hades/ a/&dh.

Sheol

31 verses translated as hell +

Hades

10 verses + I Cor. 15:55

Gehenna

12 verses all translated as hell

7 in St. Matthew

3 in St. Mark

1 in St. Luke

1 in James

Tartarus

1 in St. Peter

Sheol & Hadees

HERE

In the Christian story God descends to reascend. He comes down;.... down to the very roots and sea-bed of the Nature He has created. But He goes down to come up again and bring the whole ruined world up with Him. -C.S. Lewis

Offline FineLinen

Re: Hell
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 12:11:56 AM »
As Teddy Ruxpin PhD (The talking bear) would say..."something is not quite right."

The Hebrew word Sh@'owl is not translated as hell in 29 Scriptures, instead opting for grave. Some of them are....

Gen. 37:15

And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave (sh@'owl) unto my son mourning. Thus his father wept for him.

To be consistent, it should read...

And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him: but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into hell unto my son mourning. Thus his father wept for him.

Gen. 42:38

And he said, My son shall not go down with you; for his brother is dead, and he is left alone: if mischief befall him by the way in which ye go, then shall ye bring my gray hairs with sorrow to the grave/ (sh@'owl).

To be consistent, it should read....

And he said, My son shall not go down with you; for his brother is dead, and he is left alone: if mischief befall him by the way in which ye go, then shall ye bring my gray hairs with sorrow to hell.

In the Christian story God descends to reascend. He comes down;.... down to the very roots and sea-bed of the Nature He has created. But He goes down to come up again and bring the whole ruined world up with Him. -C.S. Lewis

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 12:16:15 AM »
As Teddy Ruxpin PhD (The talking bear) would say..."something is not quite right."

The Hebrew word Sh@'owl is not translated as hell in 29 Scriptures, instead opting for grave. Some of them are....

1 Samuel 2:6

The Lord killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up again.

It should read....

The Lord killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to hell, and bringeth up again.

Job 14:13

O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldst appoint me a set time, and remember me.

It should read....

O that thou wouldest hide me in hell, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldst appoint me a set time, and remember me.

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 04:27:32 AM »

1 Samuel 2:6

The Lord killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up again.

It should read....

The Lord killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to hell, and bringeth up again.

Hosea 13:14

I will ransom them from the power of the grave (sh@'owl); I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave (sh@'owl) I will be thy destruction; repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.

This passage should read....

I will ransom them from the power of hell; I will redeem them from death.' O death, I will be thy plagues; O hell I will be thy destruction; repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:31:12 AM by FineLinen »

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 04:35:05 AM »
Psalm 88:3

For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth unto the grave (sh@'owl).

This passage should be.....

For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth unto hell.

Psalm 30:3

Oh Lord, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave (sh@['owl): thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down into the pit.

This passage should be.....

Oh Lord, thou hast brought up my soul from hell: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down into the pit.

1 Cor. 15:55

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

To be consistent, this passage should translate hades as hell. It should read...

O death, where is thy sting? O hell, where is thy victory?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:34:50 PM by FineLinen »

jabcat

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:10:51 AM »
Hey Linen...is your point that there was a little doctrinal interpretation going on, not just translating?

Offline Raggedy Anne

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 07:33:50 AM »
Jesus knew all about hell and what it was like.  I'm still trying to revise this poem.  This is yet another revision.

Last Hour in Gethsemane

"Could you keep watch with me one hour?",
it's written that Christ humbly said.
That long, steep garden's brittle bower
spread poppy seeds and thorns. The bread

had made the Lord's disciples full
too full to suffer till the last.
They felt a weight, an earthly pull,
the grave of an iconoclast.

And Jesus knew all men are weak,
but still, it bruised his sacred heart
to be abandoned just for sleep,
by those who only knew in part.

Yet it is so for each of us
in that deep valley of the skull
where every thought is ominous,
and cupped with trembling till a lull

shall lift us from an anguished floor
of threshing - then God's angels swarm
to separate the chaff before
the wheat is gathered from the storm.

Ours is not to make up anybody's mind, but to open hearts.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Gabe Grinstead

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »

How ironic... If someone is convinced that Sheol = Hell, then this, for them, would be evidence that Hell is not a state which cannot be reversed.  Of course, we both know it should not be translated as Hell, but if someone persists in their unwillingless to look at the facts, then the arguement that God brings you to hell and can bring you back holds some merit with their viewpount.  Seems to me there would be a good point of debate with someone who refused to see Sheol as the grave.  In other words, whatever way they look at it, Hell either does not exist, or Hell isn't a perminent state.  I am fine with either of those. :D

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 11:43:55 PM »
Hey Linen...is your point that there was a little doctrinal interpretation going on, not just translating?

Bingo! They seem to be having a terrible time consistently translating sh@'owl as grave. At 1 Corinthians 15:55, the New Covenant equivalent of sh@'owl is hades, where we read...

O death, where is thy sting? O grave (hades) where is thy victory.

To be consistent it should read...

O death, where is thy sting? O hell where is thy victory.

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »

How ironic... If someone is convinced that Sheol = Hell, then this, for them, would be evidence that Hell is not a state which cannot be reversed.  Of course, we both know it should not be translated as Hell, but if someone persists in their unwillingless to look at the facts, then the arguement that God brings you to hell and can bring you back holds some merit with their viewpount.  Seems to me there would be a good point of debate with someone who refused to see Sheol as the grave.  In other words, whatever way they look at it, Hell either does not exist, or Hell isn't a perminent state.  I am fine with either of those. :D

Excellent points, Gabe. The entire hell dogma stinks: literally. The Lord Jesus Christ died and went directly to hell, where we read, "You will not leave My soul in hell, neither will You allow Your holy One to see corruption." Corruption in linked with hades/ sh@/owl and is entirely consistent with what the Old Covenant presents. Death and hell are indeed not permanent states but ultimately swallowed up in the Lake of Theos Pur, or into the Source & Goal from whom everything comes and everything ends.   

Offline dboutwell

• Snr
    • Scared Of Hell,com
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 06:17:22 AM »

Well, that sure wouldn't do much for the eternal troment doctrine would it?  :laughing7:

Debbie
Blessings :)

Debbie

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 01:44:03 PM »

Well, that sure wouldn't do much for the eternal troment doctrine would it?  :laughing7:

Debbie

Bingo, Debbie! It is the terrible inconsistency that the K.J.V. translators (among others) demonstrated, that leaves me scratching by poor old silly head.

And then we come to the character of our Heavenly Father who is love in essence and changes not, for He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He instructs us to love our enemies, and to do good to those who despitefully use us, only to turn around and do differently? I don't think so!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/238525-truth-about-hell.html

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
There are four (4) words in Hebrew and Greek that are all translated as hell in the K.J.V. Those four words are sh@'owl, hades, gehenna, and tartaroo.

Search= Hell=

HERE

Number of times the Apostle Paul speaks of hell? ("Eternal" or otherwise)

Thirteen Epistles: References to hell= 0

Number of times the Apostle Luke mentions hell?

Twice in Acts (both in reference to Jesus Christ not being left in hell)

Because You will not leave my soul in hell/hades, neither will You suffer Your Holy One to suffer corruption. Acts 2:27

Please Note

Hell/hades and corruption are linked.

...He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that He had not been abondoned to the place of death (hades), neither did His flesh undergo decay.

Hades, the place of death, & decay of the flesh/body are linked together.

Number of times the Apostle James speaks of hell?

One (1) -in reference to the tongue.-

Number of times the Apostle John on Patmos speaks of hell?

Four (4)

Number of times St. John speaks of hell within his gospel?=

Zero (0)

I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

The final chapter on Hell=

And death and hell were cast into the Lake of Theos Pur (the Limne of Theos). This IS the second death.

Offline ChuckK3

• Snr
  • I always eats me spinachk.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 02:51:08 AM »

Debbie

Bingo, Debbie! It is the terrible inconsistency that the K.J.V. translators (among others) demonstrated, that leaves me scratching by poor old silly head.

And then we come to the character of our Heavenly Father who is love in essence and changes not, for He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He instructs us to love our enemies, and to do good to those who despitefully use us, only to turn around and do differently? I don't think so!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/238525-truth-about-hell.html

Fine Linen,

I agree that notion should knock the wind out of the sails of the eternal torment advocates.  However I do find many ET advocates are very bullheaded unfortunately. :pitiful: Those people I tend to think plan on dying hard.

Chuck
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 02:52:54 AM by ChuckK3 »

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 06:58:13 AM »
It's actually a lack of love that has trapped "Christian" people in such doctrines as the Spirit is not given or does not work miracles today or that the wicked go to eternal torment and such practices as repetitive public ritual or being reduced to other mediators performing for them.  People, often so young they cannot be considered accountable, accept religious indoctination because they've been drawn along with the crowds and are subjected to those with titles of honor from other men.  Yet, even their more responsible elders, being without knowledge, should be considered worthy of but few stripes for they have been given little.  How much more we should care to find and impart what can free them.

When we come to the dealings of God, if not for others, then at least our own self, and are under the conviction of sin, we know we are doomed except we obtain the work of Christ as our own.  After initiation into the Spirit, when I found I knew not my day of visitation and I had sinned before His face, I was, "Cut off suddenly, and that without remedy."  Now that it was too late I most desperately sought the mercy of God.  "Who knoweth if he will return and repent, and leave a blessing behind him..." (Joel 214)

He said, "I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground." (Isaiah 443)  The problem is people are not thirsty.  Their ground is not dry enough.  They feel satisfied in themselves.  Their knowledge seems sufficient...until the trial is upon them.

If we actually love those who are suffering, we will seek Him Who, "Was moved with compassion and healed their sick."  If we could love enough we would seek in abandoned desperation for some kind of mercy, a little something left over as He passed by for those of our children or brethren that are doomed as we suppose because of what we were taught.  He would answer and lead us to those truths so clearly stated in the Scripture, such as, "God is not willing that any should perish..." and that, "...God our Saviour...will have all men to be saved and come unto the knowledge of the truth." (1 Timothy 23-4)  In those gatherings they claim to be the body of Christ, where none but the hierarchy on stage are allowed to participate, if we cared enough, we would cry out in birth pangs for the tied together legs of those in labor to give birth to Christ the many-membered.

The Word, Who is the Image and Likeness of God, must be formed again as us in whom He has delighted to dwell.  As His Body we are destined to be raised up to inherit all things.  "The Perfect Man" (Ephesians 413) must come forth and be raised up, illuminating the world with the multi-tinted fire of the Wisdom of God.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 07:06:32 AM by reFORMer »
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 09:00:15 AM »
"Yet, even their more responsible elders, being without knowledge, should be considered worthy of but few stripes for they have been given little.  How much more we should care to find and impart what can free them."

"He said, "I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground." (Isaiah 443)  The problem is people are not thirsty.  Their ground is not dry enough.  They feel satisfied in themselves.  Their knowledge seems sufficient...until the trial is upon them."

What amazes me is how anyone could ever ever ever believe that Jesus wants them to kill hundreds of thousands of people.  I can understand the leaders who are not deceived, who are motivated by money, and greed, and power, and who knows what else, but I will never understand the people following them.  How blind can anyone be?  You say not thirsty enough--they have everything, no matter what the particulars--they are the richest people in the world--and yet not one ounce of mercy or understanding...

They not only believe in Hell, they condemn people to it in this earthly existence.

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 03:05:51 PM »
The Lord Jesus Christ says...

"Love your enemies! Do good to them! Lend to them? And don't be concerned that they may not repay. Then your reward in heaven will be very great, and you will be truly acting as children of the Most High, for He is kind to the unthankful and to those who are wicked."

Bishop Newman says

The door of mercy will be shut and all bowels of compassion denied, by God, who will laugh at their destruction; by angels and saints, who will rejoice when they see the vengeance of their fellow-suffer the devil and the damned rejoicing over their misery.

What we learn from the Bishop=

1. God's mercy reaches an end.

2. God takes pleasure with misery.

3. God laughs at destruction.

Let's hear from the Master again.

Love your enemies! Do good to them! Lend to them? And don't be concerned that they may not repay. Then your reward in heaven will be very great, and you will be truly acting as children of the Most High, for He is kind to the unthankful and to those who are wicked.

What we learn from the Master=

1. The Most High is kind to the unthankful.

2. The Most High is kind to the wicked.

3. Acting as children of the Most High involves loving your enemies & doing good to them, and expecting no return for doing so in this world.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:51:25 PM by FineLinen »

Offline rosered

• Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »

Excellent points, Gabe. The entire hell dogma stinks: literally. The Lord Jesus Christ died and went directly to hell, where we read, "You will not leave My soul in hell, neither will You allow Your holy One to see corruption." Corruption in linked with hades/ sh@/owl and is entirely consistent with what the Old Covenant presents. Death and hell are indeed not permanent states but ultimately swallowed up in the Lake of Theos Pur, or into the Source & Goal from whom everything comes and everything ends.   

excellent !  thanks Bro
   for God is a consuming FIRE ..heb 12
 hope this works! i am not to good at this  link stuff .........
  Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for KJV

katanaliskō

:HeartThrob:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 07:57:16 PM »
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline rosered

• Silver
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 11:35:48 PM »
You mean this one Rosey?
http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Hbr&c=12&v=29&t=KJV#conc/29

BTW: Welcome back!

Thanks Bro  WW  :thumbsup:
  , You are good with that technical stuff , ya know  :happygrin:

thanks for the welcome  :HeartThrob:

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 02:49:10 PM »
The Lord Jesus Christ says...

"Love your enemies! Do good to them! Lend to them? And don't be concerned that they may not repay. Then your reward in heaven will be very great, and you will be truly acting as children of the Most High, for He is kind to the unthankful and to those who are wicked."

Behold I bring you glad tidings of great joy which shall be to all people...

So declares the heavenly anthem of the Angelic host to all mankind!

Now let us hear another word of life from Jonathan Edwards shall we eh?

Jonathan Edwards=

"The world will probably be converted into a great lake or liquid globe of fire, in which the wicked shall be overwhelmed, which will always be in tempest, in which they shall be tossed to and fro, having no rest day and night, vast waves and billows of fire continually rolling over their heads, of which they shall forever be full of a quick sense within and without; their heads, their eyes, their tongues, their hands, their feet, their loins and their vitals, shall forever be full of a flowing, melting fire, fierce enough to melt the very rocks and elements; and also, they shall be eternally full of the most quick and lively sense to feel the torments; not for a minute, not for a day, not for one age, not for two ages, not for a hundred ages, nor for ten thousand millions of ages, one after another, but forever and ever, without any end at all, and never to be delivered."

Hear the word of the Lord!

"The created universe waits with eager expectation for God's sons to be revealed. It was made a victim of frustration, not by its own choice, but because of Him who made it so; and yet there was hope, because the universe itself is to be freed from the shackles of mortality and enter into the liberty of the glory of the children of God."

Please Note:

1. The whole universe has been made a victim of slavery/ frustration.

2. The whole universe has been subjected to slavery "unwillingly", "not by any choice of its own", but by who? "By Him who made it so."

3. The whole universe is in a state of painful tension awaiting deliverance from their shackles.

4. Why? Because the universe itself "shall be delivered."

Not might be, not could be: the whole of created life (the ktisis= everything created) "shall be delivered."

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »
 :cloud9: Amen.... :thumbsup:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline FineLinen

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »
"The created universe waits with eager expectation for God's sons to be revealed. It was made a victim of frustration, not by its own choice, but because of Him who made it so; and yet there was hope, because the universe itself is to be freed from the shackles of mortality and enter into the liberty of the glory of the children of God."

"Shall be delivered" = ejleuqerovw=

To make free

To set at liberty: from the dominion of sin.

Ejleuqerovw rooted in Ejleuvqeroi

Ejleuvqeroi=

Freeborn.

One who is not a slave, one who ceases to be a slave.

Free, freed, manumitted.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 07:00:51 PM »
How do we achieve freedom?

35And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
 36If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

---John 8

How does the Son make us free?

12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

--John 1

If we are given power by the Son, what is this based on?

Hebrews 7:16
one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life.

What are we freed from then?

Romans 8:2
because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
--Psalm 23
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 07:15:46 PM by Molly »

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »
Went to the big building with a steeple with my wife today.  The preacher informed us that if we don't accept Jesus, we go to hell, because "hell is the default setting".  He didn't make eye contact with me as I was shaking my head 'no'.

Later said to wife, "does he have any idea how many millions/billions of people have never even heard the name of Jesus throughout time?  They [orthodoxy] (and me too some extent) don't understand God's continued work through the Ages".

Anyway, so now you know...hell's the default setting  :thumbdown:.
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23