Author Topic: The Good Wife's Guide 1935  (Read 3541 times)

Offline FineLinen

The Good Wife's Guide 1935
« on: January 26, 2008, 04:05:09 AM »
The Good Wife's Guide

This is from Housekeeping Monthly May 13, 1955

1. Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have be thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they get home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed.

2. Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

3. Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

4. Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Run a dustcloth over the tables.

5. During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

6. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet.

7. Be happy to see him.

8. Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

9. Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

10. Don't greet him with complaints and problems.

11. Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through at work.

12. Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

13. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

14. Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

15. A good wife always knows her place.

In the Christian story God descends to reascend. He comes down;.... down to the very roots and sea-bed of the Nature He has created. But He goes down to come up again and bring the whole ruined world up with Him. -C.S. Lewis

Offline FineLinen

Re: The Good Wife's Guide 1935
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 04:13:54 AM »
Little Hints A Good Wife Knows (And a few dumb husbands)

1. Reheat Pizza

Heat up leftover pizza in a nonstick skillet on top of the stove, set heat to med-low and heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No soggy micro pizza. I saw this on the cooking channel and it really works.

2. Easy Deviled Eggs

Put cooked egg yolks in a zip lock bag. Seal, mash till they are all broken up. Add remainder of ingredients, reseal, keep mashing it up mixing thoroughly, cut the tip of the baggy, squeeze mixture into egg. Just throw bag away when done easy clean up.

3. Expanding Frosting

When you buy a container of cake frosting from the store, whip it with your mixer for a few minutes. You can double it in size. You get to frost more cake/cupcakes with the same amount. You also eat less sugar and calories per serving.

4. Reheating refrigerated bread

To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in a microwave with a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food moist and help it reheat faster.

5. Newspaper weeds away

Start putting in your plants, work the nutrients in your soil. Wet newspapers put layers around the plants overlapping as you go cover with mulch and forget about weeds. Weeds will get through some gardening plastic, they will not get through wet newspapers.

6 Broken Glass

Use a wet cotton ball or Q-tip to pick up the small shards of glass you can't see easily.

7. No More Mosquitoes

Place a dryer sheet in your pocket. It will keep the mosquitoes away.

8. Squirrel Away

To keep squirrels from eating your plants sprinkle your plants with cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper doesn't hurt the plant and the squirrels won't come near it.

9. Flexible vacuum

To get something out of a heat register or under the fridge add an empty paper towel roll or empty gift wrap roll to your vacuum. It can be bent or flattened to get in narrow openings.

10. Reducing Static Cling.

Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have a clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works with slacks that cling when wearing panty hose. Place pin in seam of slacks and -- ta da! -- static is gone.

11. Measuring Cups

Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry cup. Next, add your ingredient, such as peanut butter, and watch how easily it comes right out.

12. Foggy Windshield

Hate foggy windshields? Buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car. When the windows fog, rub with the eraser! Works better than a cloth.

13. Reopening envelope

If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two. It unseals easily.

14. Conditioner

Use your hair conditioner to shave your legs. It's a lot cheaper than shaving cream and leaves your legs really smooth. It's also a great way to use up the conditioner you bought but didn't like in your hair.

15. Goodbye Fruit Flies

To get rid of pesky fruit flies , take a small glass fill it 1/2" with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dish washing liquid, mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever.

16. Get Rid of Ants

Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it , take it "home", can't digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains , but it works and you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

17. INFO ABOUT CLOTHES DRYERS

My friend told me about his dryer, he said the heating unit went out on his dryer!. The gentleman that fixes things around the house for him went over to the dryer and pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. He told him that he wanted to show him something; he took the filter over to the sink, ran hot water over it. The lint filter is made of a mesh material - I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like. The hot water just sat on top of the mesh! It didn't go through it at all! He told us that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that's what burns out the heating unit. You can't SEE the film , but it's there. It's what is in the dryer sheets to make your clothes soft and static free - that nice fragrance too, you know how they can feel waxy when you take them out of the box, well this stuff builds up on your clothes and on your lint screen This is also what causes dryer units to catch fire and potentially burn your house down. He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long time (and keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out and wash it with hot soapy water and an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every six months to make the life of the dryer at least twice as long.

In the Christian story God descends to reascend. He comes down;.... down to the very roots and sea-bed of the Nature He has created. But He goes down to come up again and bring the whole ruined world up with Him. -C.S. Lewis

Offline Pierac

• Bronze
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 05:56:47 AM »
 :laughing7: 

jenna

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:46:20 AM »
very cute :boredom: :wacko2:

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 12:34:46 PM »
 :cloud9: My grandmother told the family a story about her mother, who was all of 5 feet tall, to her 6 foot 2" husband, the latter of which, decided one day to stay out drinking all night, and then came home and proceeded to literally fight with her, in front of all 6 children. She greeted the master of the house with a warm smile..........AND her cast iron skillet which knocked him out cold. She made him comfortable on the floor, arranged his pillow, left his shoes on him, and went about her busy day.

I'm not sure if she spoke in a low, soothing voice before she did it, but I do know they were actually happily married for almost 50 years..........AND I from what I understand, from that point on, he had the wisdom to come home sober and in a reasonably good humor. Ah, what a difference in appeasement and negotiating techniques, a generation makes..... :winkgrin:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 01:28:48 PM »
Well, as they say, a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do!   :happygrin:
You're welcome to visit http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/

Loveroftruth

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:29:08 PM »
11. Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through at work.

:mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh: :mlaugh:

Offline 97531

• Restricted
  • Truth is Freedom
    • Father's Love Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 03:10:44 PM »
Well we have an odd couple a few houses down from us where the wife beats the crap out of her husband.  :laughing7:  I guess he is a sadomasochist

Any ladies for tips, I can provide an address  :bigGrin:

Blessings
My Blog       Father's Love Forum - New
IHWLAMAHOB
Christian Milkshake: Pressed down, shaken together and more than we can hope for

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »
Well we have an odd couple a few houses down from us where the wife beats the crap out of her husband.  :laughing7:  I guess he is a sadomasochist

Any ladies for tips, I can provide an address  :bigGrin:

Blessings

:cloud9:  :rolllol: :laughing7: :grin:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

martincisneros

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 02:49:28 AM »
The Good Wife's Guide

1. Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have be thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they get home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed.

2. Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

3. Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

4. Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Run a dustcloth over the tables.

5. During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

6. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet.

7. Be happy to see him.

9. Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

12. Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

13. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

14. Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

After having lost my wife December of 2006 to illness, I'm needing a Time Machine if there were ANY women like all of the above a hundred years ago!  I don't ask for much in life.  That would do :cloud9:

I need a Time Machine BADLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :happy3:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 03:19:29 AM by martincisneros »

Offline Akira Takahashi

• Est
  • Hero of Time
    • Nerdy Goodness
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 05:41:37 AM »
After having lost my wife December of 2006 to illness, I'm needing a Time Machine if there were ANY women like all of the above a hundred years ago!  I don't ask for much in life.  That would do :cloud9:

I need a Time Machine BADLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :happy3:

Yeah, I want my own flesh-covered robot, too.   :Yeahright:

martincisneros

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 06:08:57 AM »
Where I grew up, and the culture that I was raised in, that's 100% the description of the men.  The job plus the housework, the listening and understanding, nurturing and support of their wives, plus the cooking, cleaning, and helping their children with their lessons, etc.  Every man where I'm from does all of these things without complaint, and eagerly as their badge of honor.  The thought of women doing all of that without a complaint and viewing it as a badge of honor, as their very own place, is COMPLETELY UNHEARD OF.

I'm still STUNNED to my core, and DEEPLY shaken by this sci-fi fantasy about pre-1935 women.  It's like something from the Book of Revelation or something like that.

Perhaps with other people from other cultures, it's a different thing entirely.  But I've always been used to doing everything.  While I was still married, any number of my relatives would have picked up a chair and broken my teeth out if I'd slacked off from my duty; my honor.  And I'd of never dreamed of it.

Women are queens and daughters of God.  Why would a man do any less?

martincisneros

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »
:cloud9: My grandmother told the family a story about her mother, who was all of 5 feet tall, to her 6 foot 2" husband, the latter of which, decided one day to stay out drinking all night, and then came home and proceeded to literally fight with her, in front of all 6 children. She greeted the master of the house with a warm smile..........AND her cast iron skillet which knocked him out cold. She made him comfortable on the floor, arranged his pillow, left his shoes on him, and went about her busy day.

I'm not sure if she spoke in a low, soothing voice before she did it, but I do know they were actually happily married for almost 50 years..........AND I from what I understand, from that point on, he had the wisdom to come home sober and in a reasonably good humor. Ah, what a difference in appeasement and negotiating techniques, a generation makes..... :winkgrin:
Grace of God she wasn't hung by a judge for killing him.  I'm sure God has an entirely different provision for guys like me that are a bit softer in the head. :icon_jokercolor:

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 03:14:22 AM »
 :cloud9: Yes, well fortunately for both of them, she didn't.  :mshock: They must have made 'em tough back then, because I don't know why he didn't have a massive concussion, either. Blessings.....

Andromeda_Organa

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 02:03:57 PM »
The Good Wife's Guide

7. Be happy to see him.

this always makes me vomit

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »
Bad cooking?
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

V.I.D.

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 12:39:32 AM »
Now in order to give some compassion towards the ladies i must declare some Feminism .
And if God is happy then let all other men join aswell .  :bigGrin:

martincisneros

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 01:11:58 AM »
And if God is happy then let all other men join aswell .  :bigGrin:
If the woman's got to do all of that, [all by herself,] then it would just make her the superior one in God's sight since the greatest among us is the servant.  And a lot of guys have this attitude that their wives should do absolutely everything around the house for them -- and if they can come up with a few more things for her to do, then all of the better 'cause after all, she can handle it all by herself.  If any guys that come by here happen to realize they've accidentally been that way with never helping and never being the extra arms for their wives, etc., then I've got a great book in mind for you.  It's by Wellington Boone.  It's called "Your Wife Is Not Your Mama: How You Can Have Heaven In Your Home".