Author Topic: The aesthetic quality of the scripture  (Read 84 times)

Offline Seth

• Gold
The aesthetic quality of the scripture
« on: September 17, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »
I just want to say, this is not a poem or humor per se, but as I was reading through scriptures during discussions etc, one day it just hit me, something I already knew, but sometimes you just know it on another level: The scriptures are REALLY beautifully written. Maybe it has something to do with the Old English feeling, the Shakespearean quality of the KJV, but even just the imagery and the way it's put together in the original language. I just stopped in my tracks and thought to myself "wow, this is really beautifully written." It's just one of the most beautifully written pieces of literature I have ever read, just even the surface of it (not to say it can be reduced to JUST being literature, but you know what I mean?)

The vivid symbolism and the way a passage fluidly moves from one thing to another. Even the plainer parts of instructive teaching in the New Testament just feel like rich texture. Even if I was an atheist I would have to admit that the scriptures, even containing graphic imagery, are still worthy of admiration in the telling.

You know how you get a box for your birthday with a treasure inside, but you look at the box and you think, this is nice too, I think I'll keep this too. It's like that. The scripture contains treasures of understanding, but even the gold lining of the box is pretty.

Offline Lazarus Short

• Bronze
  • The truth points to itself. -Kosh Naranek
Re: The aesthetic quality of the scripture
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:17:15 PM »
It is so, because the Author is a Master Storyteller.  :dsunny:
Socrates taught Plato.  Plato taught Aristotle.  Aristotle tutored the son of Philip of Macedon.  This boy grew up to become Alexander the Great, largely by slaughtering a lot of people.  That's philosophy.

Jesus spoke the Truth.  He blessed the poor.  He healed the sick.  He even raised the dead.  He died on a cross for us, lived again, and came back long enough to tell us to love one another.  That's religion.

Offline Seth

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:19:58 PM »
Yeah he got his Mastership before there was ever a university.  :thumbsup:

Offline marie glen

• Bronze
  • HiS perfect intent? Besides paradise & perfection?
    • what I write
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »
That's awesome! And I totally agree!

..and not only the beautiful drama, or work of art, of 'freedom', the falling of creation, and the universal rescue, so that from doings such as genocides we are brought to where the "lion will straw like the ox, the bear will graze with the cow"... a river of running water so clear it's like crystal.. a place that exists now in our heart.. the great quietness behind man's doings.. all this written in a book that is "beautifully written"! ..that is passionate! ..yet in it, is poetry and prose.. with beautiful illustrations and 'paintings'.. A weaving and tapestry complex but simple.. a truth drama weaved through life and through the lives, hearts and minds of us all.. A gift! And very nice package!
    :cloud9: :smile:
- Does it say no repentance after death? being resurrected still in their sins (2nd Resurrection) during age of Judgment? sure to be weeping and wailing?
- Is weeping & wailing the beginning of the redemptive process?
- "Behold I make aLL things new" Rev21:5
- "On every high mountain and hill, rivers and streams of waters in the day ..when the towers fall." Is 30:25
- "A new heavens and a new earth" Rev 21:1
- "The lion will eat straw like the ox.. the bear will graze with the cow" Is 11:7
- "They will sit each under his vine, and under his fig-tree, with none troubling.." Micah 4:4

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »
Like an accacia box overlaid with gold, within which are gifts life, truth and fellowship- and over which there sits a mercy seat surrounded by rejoicing cherubim. Yea, wonderful treasures in an awesome gift box :o)
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com