Author Topic: My Favorite Inspiritional Song  (Read 865 times)

Offline Lazarus Short

• Bronze
  • The truth points to itself. -Kosh Naranek
My Favorite Inspiritional Song
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:42:05 AM »
I just love this song, The Mary Ellen Carter by the late, great Canadian folkie Stan Rogers.  The video begins with the experience which inspired the song, by the man who was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT-aEcPgkuA
Socrates taught Plato.  Plato taught Aristotle.  Aristotle tutored the son of Philip of Macedon.  This boy grew up to become Alexander the Great, largely by slaughtering a lot of people.  That's philosophy.

Jesus spoke the Truth.  He blessed the poor.  He healed the sick.  He even raised the dead.  He died on a cross for us, lived again, and came back long enough to tell us to love one another.  That's religion.

Offline lomarah

• Silver
Re: My Favorite Inspiritional Song
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »
Stan Rogers! I had no idea how famous he was I guess! Lol. He is dearly loved here in Nova Scotia. That song's a good one. :)
From Him and through Him and to Him are all things.

Offline Lazarus Short

• Bronze
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »
Nova Scotia, the 8th Celtic Nation.

I've been reading up lately on Celtic Christianity, BTW - fascinating subject.
Socrates taught Plato.  Plato taught Aristotle.  Aristotle tutored the son of Philip of Macedon.  This boy grew up to become Alexander the Great, largely by slaughtering a lot of people.  That's philosophy.

Jesus spoke the Truth.  He blessed the poor.  He healed the sick.  He even raised the dead.  He died on a cross for us, lived again, and came back long enough to tell us to love one another.  That's religion.

Offline lomarah

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:11:20 PM »
REALLY? Can you send me some links? I am all about the celtic! Lol.

Offline Lazarus Short

• Bronze
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »
A good place to start would be Celt, Druid and Culdee by Isabel Hill Elder.  I thought I had a good grounding in things Celtic, but have learned a lot from this book.  It is available from Hoffman Printing Co, www.artisanpublishers.com.  Another one is Celtic Christianity by Timothy Joyce, from Orbis Books, and I will probably read that next.

BTW, did you notice the steam rising from Stan's bald pate?

Offline lomarah

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 11:43:50 PM »
Thanks! No I didn't notice the steam hahaha!

Are you into celtic music too? It's my absolute favourite. I just joined a Highland Step Dance class too! (My 4 year old daughter takes Highland dance classes too.) Very fun!

Offline Lazarus Short

• Bronze
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 12:00:47 AM »
Yes, I've been into Celtic music since oh, 1985 at least.  I have LP's and CD's from Ireland, Scotland, Brittany, Galicia, and Nova Scotia, so most of the Celtic Nations.  Scandinavian and Slavic also.

I'm not much of a dancer, however... :sigh:

Offline lomarah

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:35:19 AM »
Awesome, I've been into Celtic music since then too! (I was 1.  :happygrin:) But seriously I've loved it ever since I can remember.

So you won't be joining the crew of Riverdance? ;)

Offline Lazarus Short

• Bronze
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
Awesome, I've been into Celtic music since then too! (I was 1.  :happygrin:) But seriously I've loved it ever since I can remember.

So you won't be joining the crew of Riverdance? ;)

So you grew up with it?  Cool!  No, not joining Riverdance, and I don't think they're particularly authentic anyway.