Author Topic: Just Too Busy  (Read 1986 times)

Offline dboutwell

• Snr
    • Scared Of Hell,com
Just Too Busy
« on: January 05, 2008, 07:40:11 AM »
There are some really funny things on here and I thought I would add this little story, which really happened.

The lady who cuts my hair is a preachers kid and most of her brothers are preachers too. One of her brothers at a family gathering was sharing how busy he was and telling about so much stuff going on in his life. He was in the process of building a really big, expensive, new, church building also.

Well, he had to preach a funeral one day. After the funeral was over everybody lined up in the funeral procession to go to the cemetary, this guys car was right behind the hearse.

He relayed to his sister how, as they were driving to the cemetary, he got to thinking about all that he had to do and was getting very frustrated at the car in front of him, when, suddenly, he realized that he had just pulled out and passed the hearse in the funeral procession. He said he very sheepishly took a sideroad and got back in line with the procession. Now, that's just too busy.....
Blessings :)

Debbie

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
Re: Just Too Busy
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »
Oh my!   :faint:  How embarrassing and NOT the best time to laugh it off at the cemetery!   :happygrin:
You're welcome to visit http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/

Offline Kratos

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »
When I was first ordained as an associate Pastor (whatever that is) in a large non-denominational, word of faith church, I learned that seniority applies everywhere. For the first year, I got nothing but funerals. All of the more "seasoned" associates received the weddings and the services.

Anyway, my first memorial service, I was supposed to accompany another more experienced associate to the memorial service at the funeral home chapel to listen and learn, then I was to do the grave side service by myself the next day.

I had to wait for this other man of God to pick me up and drive to the memorial and he came by with just enough time to get there. We arrived at the given address just in time only to find out that Los Angelas has two streets by the same name and we were at the wrong one. By the time we figured it out and drove all the way across town, we were 45 minutes late for an hour service.

When we got there, we were met at the door by the grieving mother with an ugly glare and told that the best they had was a nephew who had been a Catholic alter boy for a year and he was leading the group in praying the Rosary.

My friend took over and explained and spoke for the remaining 10 minutes since there was another group waiting for the use of the chapel.

As we were getting into the car, this man of God said to me "Young man, first rule of ministry is never be later for a funeral. People are not very understanding or reasonable at times like this".

I wanted to say that they should not have to and that he should have made enough preparation to at least know where we were supposed to be. But, I was hoping to quickly climb the religious company ladder so I said nothing. I did make a note to put people ahead of myself and never to let this happen to me again.

John
Send me a Personal message
Seeking a Kingdom whose Builder and Maker is God

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 01:54:06 AM »
Ain't it good to be free, John?!   :bigGrin:
You're welcome to visit http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/

Offline Kratos