Author Topic: God in the English language  (Read 1141 times)

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
God in the English language
« on: July 10, 2011, 09:32:28 AM »
Little "game"
Words and/or saying that have a hidden Christian origen.

good-bye
God be with ye
Or possibly: God buy you

1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline lomarah

• Silver
Re: God in the English language
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:56:58 PM »
Hmmm, makes you wonder what hello means...   :laughing7:
From Him and through Him and to Him are all things.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »
 :laughing7:

Here's (sort of) one;

A drop in the bucket

Meaning

A very small proportion of the whole.

Origin

From the Bible, Isaiah 40:15 (King James Version):

"Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing."

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »
"...people used to believe that your soul can be thrown from your body when you sneeze,[1] that sneezing otherwise opened your body to invasion by the Devil[2] or evil spirits,[4] or that sneezing was your body's effort to force out an invading evil spirit.[1] Thus, "bless you" or "God bless you" is used as a sort of shield against evil."  wikipedia
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:10:55 PM by jabcat »

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:35:33 PM »
Interesting. unclean spirits tend to flow out of the mouth when being exorcised, or through nose, ears etc.

Offline gregoryfl

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:07:12 PM »
"...people used to believe that your soul can be thrown from your body when you sneeze,[1] that sneezing otherwise opened your body to invasion by the Devil[2] or evil spirits,[4] or that sneezing was your body's effort to force out an invading evil spirit.[1] Thus, "bless you" or "God bless you" is used as a sort of shield against evil."  wikipedia
That is why Jehovah's Witnesses do not say 'bless you' if someone sneezes. I was taught of its pagan origin during my time in that belief system.

Ron

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
Jehovah's Witnesses have  knack for such teachings  :winkgrin:

Knack is the name of a demon that gives a special ability to a person it lives in.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »
  here's one...and it is on the increase in our day....

autism...comes from the root word of ACT..originally a kind of short play or drama originally with Biblical characters   makes me thing of the word exploits

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:50:11 PM »
somehow I don't believe that autistic kids are acting.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:10:06 AM »
yeah, maybe that's not what sheila meant exactly, i wondered the same thing...not sure

don't want to derail the thread, but spend a little time with my autistic niece...her brain truly works differently, which of course does affect how she acts [behaves]

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 01:20:13 AM »
 I'm sorry,I wasn't very clear in my expression.   I was thinking along these lines. Originally it referred to a Biblical drama or act.

An act was to manifest a spiritual truth....walk it out..openly display.

Jesus' own family thought he had lost his mind[nuts/insane]  Nowdays,autism is used to describe children that live an inner life...and don't relate outwardly in the world as

most people do.   That THINK AND BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY.

The correlation that I was getting at is this,..being the mind of Christ and the Father

appear as foolishness to the world...and the mind of this world appears foolish to God   We think differently than the majority,live an inner spiritual life

I initially looked this word up several years ago,when my grandson was being investigated to this possible diagnosis.  There is a withdrawing from surroundings,

a turning inward,just as we too, leave off the pursuit of this world in our inner seeking after the spirit. The caterpillar withdraws into a cacoon for metamorphisis.

BY NO MEANS WOULD I SAY AUTISTIC CHILDREN ARE PLAY-ACTING...only in regard to withdrawing from this world and living more in an inner life

and thinking differently than most

anybody here been accused of 'gone nuts' because of your spiritual walk? I have....my ex-husband saw notes on paper..beside my computor...scriptures..

etc.  He saw that as a sign I was 'nuts'  He forbid me to ever speak to him about what was being revealed.   Now, I want you to know, this same man

spent all day watching stocks...and he had on paper around his computor,notes, abbreviated stocks etc..lol!

exploits  an act remarkable for daring,boldness.   to make use of, turn to account,utilize productively.  It is written many will do exploits

FAITH IN HIS WORD AND PROMISES LEAD TO BOLDNESS IN TESTIMONY,CAUSING US TO BE PRODUCTIVE IN FAITH.   what a daring endeavour to

actually beleive He is the saviour of all! and  outwardly manifest it!!

!Dan 11;32...but the people who know their God will do exploits.  act in accordance with faith...manifest outwardly    in a daring bold manner and

be productive[no shrinking back here]

sorry so long,involved