Author Topic: God's Gon'na Get'cha For That  (Read 4118 times)

jabcat

God's Gon'na Get'cha For That
« on: January 27, 2008, 07:19:19 AM »
First of all, the purpose of this thread is not to make light of God's punishments/discipline.  I believe they are righteous and for our own good; that God has bestowed His righteousness upon us through His Son, and continues to bring us into His likeness through His purifying Lake of Fire, now and later, including His righteous judgments and punishments/correction; until Yesu can present us spotless and blameless to His father, then Father becomes All in All.  Now, with that "statement of faith", I'd like to present the remainder of this post.  Since coming to the Tent I've found it therapeutic to repeat a few times how I'm new to UR the past year, just out of the denomination within the past couple of weeks, how I was raised in a very strict, ultra-conservative environment that focused on hell and "if you struggle enough and are good enough you might make it in" :hammerhead:.  It's been helpful to share some of those experiences, and to let you know that sometimes it's a little hard for me to "let go of some things" and take on God's revelations all at once.  Some of you may not understand these experiences, and I happened to think of a little gospel group I played in as a young teen, and how one of the songs they did might give you a peek into extremism.  Thankfully I only played the keyboard and never had to sing these words...even then, I had that sort of "raised eyebrow" at stuff like this, know what I mean? 

You may find this humorous, I think it is.  You may even find it a little sad though too, that that's what some of the teaching out there is, and what some of us are overcoming.

Now enjoy this uplifting little number, "God's Gon'na Get'cha for That", and be blessed :wink:

God's gonna get 'cha for that
Oh, God's gonna get 'cha for that
There's no place to run and hide
For He knows where you're at

Every wrong thing that you do

This doggone world we're living in
It's giving me a fit
It seems like everywhere I turn
I see a hypocrite

Well, if ya wanna go to heaven
Well, you can't live like that
So let me tell you, brother
God's a-gonna get 'cha for that

Now, the preacher in our church
He's a mighty devoted man
Everybody thinks, that he's a-goin' to the Promised Land

But the other night on a country road
While I was a-drivin' through
I caught the preacher makin' out
with Sister Mary Lou

Now oh Sister Bessie, she likes to testify
She says, 'I'll always love the Lord, someday I'm a-gonna fly"
But the other night while goin' by the local liquor store
I caught oh Sister Bessie come flyin' out the door

There's no place to run and hide
For He knows where you're at

Every wrong thing that you do
God's gonna get you for that

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:22:08 AM by jabcat »

Offline 97531

• Restricted
  • Truth is Freedom
    • Father's Love Forum
Re: God's Gon'na Get'cha For That
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 08:05:44 AM »
Well at least church is a comedy of errors  :laughing7:
My Blog       Father's Love Forum - New
IHWLAMAHOB
Christian Milkshake: Pressed down, shaken together and more than we can hope for

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »
Well, it isn't just bad (traditional) sermons that some of us have heard.  It's the story bibles, the songs, TV comericials, all sorts of stupid things that can influence our thinking!

I think it's awesome to see how God is leading us all out of THAT ridiculous "promised land"!   :bgdance:
You're welcome to visit http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 05:11:34 PM »
 :cloud9: And don't forget the "biblical" Hollywood movies, always a source of inspiration and hope.... :winkgrin:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline Sarah

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 06:35:48 PM »
Are you serious?  That is actually a song?  Ahhhhhh!

jabcat

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 02:43:55 AM »
Are you serious?  That is actually a song?  Ahhhhhh!

Promise!  Catchy tune, too :Whistle:.

Well, it isn't just bad (traditional) sermons that some of us have heard.  It's the story bibles, the songs, TV comericials, all sorts of stupid things that can influence our thinking!

I think it's awesome to see how God is leading us all out of THAT ridiculous "promised land"!   :bgdance:

Went to "church" this morning with my wife, sort of "penitence" for leaving the denomination :laughhand:.  Still sort of sorting through what the service consisted of this morning, still kind of struggling with not going as much/being a member...wonder if it's just hard to shed some things God no longer wants for me and it's uncomfortable but OK, vs. "am I really doing the right thing?", though it was pretty clear when God called me out.  I may share how that happened some time, rather miraculously, actually.  God's blessing.

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 02:48:02 AM »
Just rest in His love, brother!   :HeartThrob:

jabcat

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 02:50:04 AM »
Thank you.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 04:09:43 AM »
 :cloud9: Hang onto to that proceeding word of life from the Father's mouth (the one calling you out), and know that just as the wind was contrary to them when they were in the ship, and the breath was walking on the water, so too will the winds try to test you; it's their job. We live (or have His life) not by bread/letter alone, but by every Word/breath that comes from the Father's mouth. Blessings to you.......
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Redkora

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 05:16:53 AM »
"if you struggle enough and are good enough you might make it in" :hammerhead:.

Gah, I know what you mean. I didn't grow up in such a environment (maybe should should scratch the "I know what you mean" part...), but I came out of a self-imposed Hellfire Fundamentalism. Every day was a struggle, and I kept thinking if I just suffered enough and struggled enough, I might have a chance at getting in. I know that the last portion of the sentence is redundant, but the prospects of me getting in (read: avoiding eternal torment beyond imagining) seemed that dismal. This made my mental state worse.

I'm much better, though. Looking back, as awful as the experiences were, I think about how goofy much of what they did was. The people whose posts I read actually belived that Hell was literally in the center of the Earth, or at least deep under the Earth's crust.   :pointlaugh::grin: :laughing7: :rolllol: :mrflo: :laugh: :laugh2: :LH:

jabcat

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 06:29:31 AM »
"if you struggle enough and are good enough you might make it in" :hammerhead:.

Gah, I know what you mean. I didn't grow up in such a environment (maybe should should scratch the "I know what you mean" part...), but I came out of a self-imposed Hellfire Fundamentalism. Every day was a struggle, and I kept thinking if I just suffered enough and struggled enough, I might have a chance at getting in. I know that the last portion of the sentence is redundant, but the prospects of me getting in (read: avoiding eternal torment beyond imagining) seemed that dismal. This made my mental state worse.

I'm much better, though. Looking back, as awful as the experiences were, I think about how goofy much of what they did was. The people whose posts I read actually belived that Hell was literally in the center of the Earth, or at least deep under the Earth's crust.   :pointlaugh::grin: :laughing7: :rolllol: :mrflo: :laugh: :laugh2: :LH:

Bless you, I know how miserable that is.  I'd say some folks I know still believe the center of the earth thing. 

Offline Reverend G

• Est
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 09:47:21 PM »
He knows if you've been sleepin', he knows if your awake, he knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake!!

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 09:49:06 PM »
That's about what it boils down to- isn't it?!

Offline studier

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 10:31:31 PM »
Pretty much suffering for all the choices we make in this life. In the next, our choices meant nothing since God will be all in all.

God isn't going to get you for anything, our choices dictate the consequences of the reaction. God established the principle of reaping and sowing, but God is not standing over us with a baseball bat waiting for us to mess up.

The reality is, God is watching us, his hands are ready for us when we fall due to our lack of judgment and bad choices in life. He is not the one causing the problems, He is the one giving us solutions.

Redkora

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 01:21:33 AM »
Oh, I believe God corrects us when we need it. It's not fun when it happens, but it's for the best. I feel better about it now that I believe that I'm probably not going to be endlessly tormented for missing the mark once or twice. The OP just brought back some memories from my fundie days.

shibboleth

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 01:33:02 AM »
I think Tammy Wynett sang that song, God's gonna get you for that. I'll do a little research and see if if was her. Anyway, the song appeals to the flesh which has been offended by others. That's why it became a big hit years ago.

jabcat

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 02:25:11 AM »
I think Tammy Wynett sang that song, God's gonna get you for that. I'll do a little research and see if if was her. Anyway, the song appeals to the flesh which has been offended by others. That's why it became a big hit years ago.

Hey there.  Yeah, I googled it before I posted it (fortunately I couldn't remember all the words), and I found it under George Jones.  So, since they sang a lot together, may have been Miss Tammy too. 

Offline Reverend G

• Est
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 11:41:47 PM »
One who can turn water to wine and multiply loaves can surely make a sinner into a saint.

shibboleth

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 01:19:09 AM »
I don't remember George Jones, but I do remember Tammy Wynett singing the song. Maybe cuz I like Tammy and not George?...or, she sang it solo. The song was a hit many years ago, and it appeals to our "I want to get payback for all the wrong done to me and others." I'm so glad God isn't like that, arent you?

Offline Reverend G

• Est
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 01:32:18 AM »
George, like Willy Nelson, wrote a lot of songs he didn't sing.  Willy Nelson wrote "Crazy", though Patsy Cline sang it.

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 02:27:57 AM »
We used to drive by one of George's houses.  He once lived in Vidor Texas- my husband's home town.

He stopped loving her today.... :gguitar:

jabcat

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 05:06:25 AM »
I don't remember George Jones, but I do remember Tammy Wynett singing the song. Maybe cuz I like Tammy and not George?...or, she sang it solo. The song was a hit many years ago, and it appeals to our "I want to get payback for all the wrong done to me and others." I'm so glad God isn't like that, arent you?

God's not like that, and unfortunately He still needs to/fortunately He is, still teaching me to not be like that... :pitiful:

jabcat

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 05:07:56 AM »
George, like Willy Nelson, wrote a lot of songs he didn't sing.  Willy Nelson wrote "Crazy", though Patsy Cline sang it.

That's a good point, maybe George just wrote and Tammy sang it, again, since they were an item, at least professionally.  Anyway, whoever did what, it's still pretty pitiful, isn't it?
We used to drive by one of George's houses.  He once lived in Vidor Texas- my husband's home town.

He stopped loving her today.... :gguitar:

Do love that song...country corn, and all...

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 01:21:31 PM »
Do love that song...country corn, and all...

Yeah, so sad!  My husband was country when we married and I learned to appreciate some of the artistry in those old songs.   :bigGrin: