Author Topic: Anne Bronte  (Read 960 times)

Offline tm55

• Reg
Anne Bronte
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:00:32 AM »
Anne Bronte, as well her two better known sisters Charlotte and Emily, were authors, believers in UR, and unfortunately were short-lived.  In fact, Anne died 160 years ago today, at age 29, on May 28, 1849.

Anne is probably best known in UR circles for her A Word to the 'Elect' poem:

http://www.tentmaker.org/biographies/anne-bronte.htm

But she also presented the really good news in The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, written in 1848.  Here's an excerpt from Chapter 20, which I think UR apologists will appreciate:

"And remember Helen", continued [her aunt] solemnly, "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and they that forget God!  And suppose, even, that he should continue to love you and you him, and that you should pass through life together with tolerable comfort – how will it be in the end, when you see yourselves parted for ever; you, perhaps, taken into eternal bliss, and he cast into the lake that burneth with unquenchable fire – there for ever to—"

"Not for ever," I exclaimed, "only till he has paid the uttermost farthing"; for "If any man's work abide not the fire, he shall suffer loss, yet himself shall be saved, but so as by fire," and He that "is able to subdue all things to himself, will have all men to be saved", and "will in the fullness of time, gather together in one all things in Christ Jesus, who tasted death for every man, and in whom God will reconcile all things to Himself, whether they be things in earth or things in Heaven."

"Oh Helen!  Where did you learn all this?"

"In the Bible, aunt.  I have searched it through, and found nearly thirty passages, all tending to support the same theory."

"And is that the use you make of your Bible?  And did you find no passages tending to prove the danger and the falsity of such a belief?"

"No:  I found, indeed some passages that taken by themselves, might seem to contradict that opinion; but they will all bear a different construction to that which is commonly given, and in most the only difficulty is in the word which we translate 'everlasting' or 'eternal.'  I don't know the Greek, but I believe it strictly means for ages, and might signify either endless or long-enduring.  And as for the danger of the belief, I would not publish it abroad, if I thought any poor wretch would be likely to presume upon it to his own destruction, but it is a glorious thought to cherish in one's own heart, and I would not part with it for all the world can give!"

martincisneros

Re: Anne Bronte
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:17:35 AM »
My eyes are sorta doing one of those things where it's time to go to bed and reading isn't an acceptable alternative to the eyes, but thank you very much for posting this, whatever it is. LOL!  I mean, I literally fogged out, or somehow totally lost focusing ability on words, for a minute there. ROFLOL!  When I'm online again, I'll check my last post to the boards via my profile and return to this thread to see what you've shared.  That was funny.  My eyes went into something approximating dizzy, though I'm not the least bit dizzy.  Ditzy perhaps as a blond, but not dizzy...

Offline sparrow

• Bronze
  • I watch, & am as a sparrow alone upon the rooftop.
Re: Anne Bronte
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 04:38:03 AM »
That's awesome tm55! ha.. I just posted "A word to the elect" on a different forum a few days or so ago.

I never read this from Anne.

I appreciate your sharing!  :HeartThrob:

"...but it is a glorious thought to cherish in one's own heart, and I would not part with it for all the world can give!"

Amen, Anne! AMEN.  :icon_flower:
"I knelt to drink,
And knew that I was on the brink
Of endless joy. And everywhere
I turned I saw a wonder there."

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.