Author Topic: Street Preaching  (Read 1437 times)

Smoogy

Street Preaching
« on: March 07, 2011, 06:58:35 PM »
Anyone ever Preached UR in public?

If so, what are your experiences?

Is it even a good idea?

Offline Nathan

• Gold
Re: Street Preaching
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:41:47 PM »
For me I would say no.  I think that form of evangelism is man-made myself.  On the surface, we embrace the "idea" of it as we think everyone should hear the Gospel.  But the pattern Jesus left us with is one that establishes relationship first.  Doctrine is received through the relationship of the individuals. 

Secondly, it could more than likely create a street-corner argument with church-goers who see it as heresy.  It would be nonproductive from both sides.

thirdly, I think we all should check our spiritual wares and affirm that we're carrying seeds for planting rather than weapons for warfare.  Planting truth calls for one personal seed planted in one plot of ground.  Scattering it on the surface would give opportunity for wild birds to fly in, gorge, and fly out again . . .for me, that's the kind of people who hop from church to church always looking for spiritual manifestations, but never getting grounded in spiritual truth.  Standing on a street corner trying to get stranger's attention whom you have no relationship with at all but yet intend to plant intimate life seeds in them just seems to be a set-up for failure all around.  Say they do accept your seed . . then what?  Where can they go for growth now?  There are no churches that would help them . . .if anything, they'll take them aside and kill the seed that you planted in them in the first place . . .that's why the necessity for a relationship first is so important.

Lastly, Keep in mind, of the 12 disciples, only 3 had the honor of seeing Jesus in his true form . . .at the mount of transfiguration, after they saw him intimately, he instructed them NOT to tell anyone . . .not even the other nine.  There was no street corner preaching going on there.  Everything was done on a level of intimacy.

I'd start with family and friends and go from there.  And even then, if the season for planting is not manifesting in them, don't force the seed, seasons change.

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:51:41 PM »
Nathan, the more you speak about planting the more my heart softens.  I unfortunately in a couple of instances have gone on the warpath since finding the truth.  I definitely see how it is not the right approach. 

I definitely agree about street preaching, when looking at the model of Jesus, but what about the model of Paul?  (I'm personally not comfortable with it, but was having this internal debate last week, when the same question was asked about street preaching)  I know he went into the synagogues first, but when I think about his ministry, he was on the street.  I know Paul is nothing and Appollos is nothing, but... Paul is the model of Us, as in Christ was revealed in Paul

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:58:35 PM »
Paul wasn't a street corner preacher . . .he went to where the culture of that day had already established public places where people could openly debate.  He had an evangelistic heart, but his plan was not to stand on a street corner, dump his theology and hit the next neighborhood tomorrow, he estabished churches, he fathered them, he nurtured them . . . he "made" connections with people.  He wasn't a doctrine guy who just had to unload on you . . .he was a people person who wanted to get to know you, through which you'd get a good dose of his vision and passion.

Offline Miriam

• Snr
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:13:58 AM »
You're very wise, Nathan.  :thumbsup:

Offline legoman

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »
Somehow I get the picture of this haggard guy standing on a dingy street corner with a sign saying "The end is near!  We all will be saved!"...

LOL :laughing7:

But seriously maybe the sign should be "God loves us all!  We all will be saved!"... and then I get the image of people walking by pointing at the "crazy nut" while a group of evangelicals try to convert him.

I'm not seeing how the approach would work.

I think Nathan is right - UR is just not a message that people are receptive to unless their heart has already been softened to the point where you can plant a seed.  You need to get to a point where a person is willing to ask the hard questions for themselves.  Forcing it onto someone who isn't interested just gets it spat out back in your face as they are only used to milk and are choking on the meat you just gave them.

Offline legoman

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:23:21 PM »
I can't remember if it was in this forum or over at city-data, but a while ago we had a thread about what would be good slogans/ideas to put on a giant billboard to promote UR.

Think along the lines of a giant billboard next to the interstate that says "God will have all men to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth.  Love wins." (followed by the web address tentmaker.org)...