Author Topic: Presenting the gospel in a loving, yet not mousy way  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Universalist Catholic

Presenting the gospel in a loving, yet not mousy way
« on: October 25, 2010, 12:30:51 AM »
There seems to be too sides of spreading the message out.  On one side, we have evangelization that puts a heavy focus on wrath and punishment.  That kind of preaching also tends to have a heavy emphasis on end time signs, telling people to repent now or burn forever.  I have seen on this side that these people have condemned countless groups of people to hell, for their religion, lack of, sins or stuff that particular pastor doesnt agree with.  I remember one particular pastor told America that they deserved Obama as a president, and that he HATED Obama, and prayed for his death.  We're also probably familiar with the way Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, the Westboro Baptist Church and Fundamentalist street preachers preach.  Probably some of the greatest insults to Jesus and the Gospels. 

However we also have another side of people who try to sugarcoat their doctrines.  They typically would try to go with the gospel "Be a nice person", while refusing to be bold against evil.  I remember some warm and gooey over emotional religious speakers, whom I wanted to puke after listening to another story like that.  However many of these people only had these gooey open arms towards their own group.  I cant say I blame them, considering that in the middle, a spirituality with a healthy awe is too close to fear, with a little bit of emotion. 

So the challenge is finding a way to be able to expose the awful heresies without watering the mesage down trying to sound politically correct.  Plus we want to encourage people to repent of their sins, and turn our lives around even if it is rough.  Also, we need to expose sin for what it is, and avoid it.  But we dont want to go around like the Pharisees who went around nitpicking about very miniscule things.  I dont know how many websites I have found that attack someone based on not seeing scripture their way.  Plus we dont want to judge another person, when we dont know anything about their lives, let alone pass judgments based on their own biases. 

Offline Lefein

• Bronze
Re: Presenting the gospel in a loving, yet not mousy way
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:24:27 AM »
Three things that might help with this.

a. Learn to listen to God, and go with his leaning on when to confront, and when to let go.

b. Truth in Love, learn how to be like Jesus who ate with the sinners, and didn't condemn them, but kept his stand and didn't compromise on righteousness.

c. Take the beam out of your own eye, before you help take the spec out of your brother's.  By taking the beam out of your own eye, and seeing it - you learn how to properly take the spec out of your brother's eye.
CLV: Proverbs 10:12 Hatred, it rouses up quarrels, Yet love covers over all transgressions.
KJV: Proverbs 10:12 Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 01:30:48 AM »
 :cloud9:  :thumbsup:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline Green-Arrow

• Full
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:55:26 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be a critique of the recent Papal decision to ordain Stewart Little as a Cardinal of the Catholic Church. My mistake!  He's endearing as an ambassador of love, but I thought it was a little much when they wanted to go that far.  It's always been my aim to neither try to replace the Holy Spirit nor to replace the grace of God in people's lives. The grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness. It's not my understanding of the Great Commission, nor has it ever been, that we're supposed to teach people to deny ungodliness.  We're supposed to point people to the sufficiency that's in Christ Jesus and let them fall in love with the beauty of His Person, and leave them to His grace and His Spirit to lead them into all truth.  I don't know about sugarcoating. I prefer a little Aspartame, personally, but we're supposed to be bold against people's needs by meeting them, bold in proclaiming the resurrection and Lordship of Christ Jesus, keep the cares of the rest cast upon Him, to love our fellow believers as ourselves and to be wise and maintain a good reputation towards or with outsiders. 

We're supposed to encourage believing prayer, without wrath or doubting, because of the one mediator between God and man, and to assure believers that when Jesus said to believe you receive when you pray that you'll have anything that's the will of God, according to 1John, and 1Timothy 2 and 1Timothy 4 assure us the salvation of all is His perfect will that we ought always to pray for and not faint, according to 1Corinthians 15 and Hebrews 10, so that after we've done the will of God we will inherit the promises.  That's how we're bold against evil, by being bold about our inheritance in Christ and refusing another day without everything being in our life that He said was supposed to be in our lives through His exceedingly great and precious promises by which we're participants in the divine nature, according to 2Peter 1. And don't get me started on the President Obama situation since he's consistently maintained poll numbers that are 5 to 7 times higher than the Republicans since they became the majority as legislaters.  :laughing7:

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:42:49 AM »
  I don't know about sugarcoating. I prefer a little Aspartame, personally, but we're supposed to be bold against people's needs by meeting them, bold in proclaiming the resurrection and Lordship of Christ Jesus, keep the cares of the rest cast upon Him, to love our fellow believers as ourselves and to be wise and maintain a good reputation towards or with outsiders. 

You want to poison the gospel?  (aspartame is poison) :winkgrin:

Offline Green-Arrow

• Full
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 12:50:11 AM »
(aspartame is poison) :winkgrin:
According to the commercials at least, Sherlock Holmes in the new movie was drinking it straight, without the coke or pepsi in his big ol' glass of aspartame! Never seemed to hurt him, so what's a little aspartame coating among hellFIRE-fighters? roflol