Author Topic: How affective are emotional appeals  (Read 1452 times)

Offline CrossoverManiac

• Full
How affective are emotional appeals
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:33:58 AM »
When I believed in ET, a young lady told me she didn't believe God sent people to Hell.  I told her that she was wrong.  However, if it was scriptural/in the Bible, then I would believe it.  It wasn't long when I finally found those Scriptures in inadvertently while getting in a debate with a Calvinist on free will.  I chalked it up as 'gee, it would have been if it was true'.  But over time, those Scriptural passages were revealed to me through God's grace.  I was resistant at first and even argued against it. Eventually though I came around.  Here's the point I wanted to make.  People often argue against ET by saying that a loving God would never send someone to Hell for all of eternity.  But this could be seen as an appeal to emotion or wishful thinking.  Do you think it's better to just stick to the Bible because if the only intellectual justification is the Bible, then proving the Bible, translated accurately from the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic should at least get the intellectually honest ET'ers to think twice about their false doctrine.

Or am I wrong in my reasoning?

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: How affective are emotional appeals
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 06:40:42 AM »
I mostly go with the scripture on it, but also use the "would a loving God?" etc. thought process a little bit as well.

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 01:37:39 AM »
I have found out that "would a loving God?" answer is usually answered, that God's love is also His way of punishing those who chose and that they wouldn't listen, so God being "just" must out of tough love commit those to hell for shunning His love.  :dontknow:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:55:38 AM »
yes, and then that can lead to discussions about "God's will", "God IS love", "the gentle Lamb of God watching people seared and tortured for millions of years!?" ("in the presence of the Lamb").  Some people are open, many are not.  I think some are probably scared to look at anything different than what is typically taught.  Also, I still believe most Christians think that's what the Bible actually teaches, given the Latin Vulgate/KJV influence.   :2c:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:43:31 AM »
When I believed in ET, a young lady told me she didn't believe God sent people to Hell.  I told her that she was wrong.  However, if it was scriptural/in the Bible, then I would believe it.  It wasn't long when I finally found those Scriptures in inadvertently while getting in a debate with a Calvinist on free will.  I chalked it up as 'gee, it would have been if it was true'.  But over time, those Scriptural passages were revealed to me through God's grace.  I was resistant at first and even argued against it.
I think that's a good thing. If you are convinced by a chat and 2 verses it often means your doctrine will change daily.

Eventually though I came around.  Here's the point I wanted to make.  People often argue against ET by saying that a loving God would never send someone to Hell for all of eternity.  But this could be seen as an appeal to emotion or wishful thinking.  Do you think it's better to just stick to the Bible because if the only intellectual justification is the Bible, then proving the Bible, translated accurately from the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic should at least get the intellectually honest ET'ers to think twice about their false doctrine.

Or am I wrong in my reasoning?
Yes and no  :winkgrin:
Of course you should try to understand what's written and not what you hope what's written.
But that doesn't exclude emotions because reading the NT gives the reader a feeling of Jesus' character.
He tried to be helpful/caring/etc whenever possible. OTOH He confronted wrong things head on. He had zero compassion for the false teaching of the Scribes.
BUT He forgave them all when hanging on the cross. He spends His last moments forgiving people while for example He could have given them a fire and brimstone sermon.
My point is that your emotional appeal seems to be reflect Jesus' character.
"Father, forgive them" instead of "Father, get those books of law ready."
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:38:28 PM »
I find it interesting that as you gave your personal testimony about how "you" came around, you also answered your own question without even realizing it.  We're not adopted, we're grafted.  Religion is one man's experience adopted by others who've not had an experience of their own.  You've had a personal awakening that only "you" can comprehend, and even then it's hard to put that spiritual experience into natural words.  But the truth is it's not something others can "adopt".  They have to have a birthing of their own.  But what "you" do is, you plant the seed in them just like it was planted in you.  Your testimony explains exactly how that worked.  The seed was planted, the spirit watered it through the reading of the Word, your mind wrestled with it, but as it grew, it caused you to "expand".  And when the birthing came, it wasn't because you adopted someone else's version of something.  You saw it because something "birthed" in you.

Trying to rely on just what Scripture says on a matter really isn't as effective as we've been led to believe simply because it's a book of signs intended to water what's already been planted.  We're not to "build" up a belief from what our minds have already filtered through our reading of the Scripture.  Faith doesn't come by reading . . .it doesn't even come by knowing.  It comes by "hearing" and once we "hear" only then can we "see".  Many still spend hours reading and building doctrines on what they see but because they can't "hear" what they see is tainted from the beginning.

People have mindsets just like you.  You can give them Scriptures that say the opposite of what they think and it really won't matter because it's not based on what truth says, it's based on what they "think" it says.  But . . .if you just love on them and be their friend, you become a planter instead of a warrior . . .God will use that to impregnate them with the truth and then they'll have a personal experience of their own that will change them . . .and THEN . . .their eyes will be opened to see.  Even when John was in the spirit and heard the voice . . .he still had to turn around in order to SEE it.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:05:27 PM »
Trying to rely on just what Scripture says on a matter really isn't as effective as we've been led to believe simply because it's a book of signs intended to water what's already been planted.  We're not to "build" up a belief from what our minds have already filtered through our reading of the Scripture.  Faith doesn't come by reading . . .it doesn't even come by knowing.
The dead know nothing.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...