Author Topic: Works  (Read 99142 times)

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: Works
« Reply #1300 on: August 30, 2011, 08:46:24 AM »
The other part of that is though, it seems we can work and work and work until we're blue in the face, all in our own efforts, and in the context of "eternity", it means nothing.    "did we not do x,y,z?"  "depart from Me, I never knew you".

So if faith produces good works, is it really me doing them (Paul said "I, yet not I"), or is it that I'm looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of my faith, keeping me eyes on Him, yielding to His will, and then HE does the works through me?  And how do know where that line is between "this is God working through me" vs. "this is me being a 'good' guy and earning my way"?

Personally, sometimes I think I can really tell when it's God working through me.  Other times, I feel I struggle on my own strength. 
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Re: Works
« Reply #1301 on: August 30, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »
On the last part, are you waiting for me to bark, or can I just scratch a flea?
I think you are just playing dead James  :laughing7:

Thinking about the context thread now.
Works of ourselves are seen as useles or even bad. Although I admit that's what the verses are implying I think it isn't the correct/full understanding. What if we widen to context to the personality of Jesus.
Assume Jesus and the twelve walk past someone who is clearly a Baal worshipper. But at that moment that person is doing some very good works. Say he's handing out food and medicine to lepers.
What would Jesus teaching be on that? Would He use terms like viper or far more positive words.... I think He would be positive.
 :2c:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...