Author Topic: Why we should preach the Gospel  (Read 3137 times)

Andromeda_Organa

Why we should preach the Gospel
« on: November 27, 2008, 01:36:43 AM »
I hope I don't sound too preachy- but I've been praying about this. If UR is true- and I've been led by the Holy Spirit to believe that it is- then what's the point of preaching the Gospel?

Here is what I think- it is so the non-Christians can experience the joy of a relationship with our Risen Saviour in THIS lifetime. What do you think?

Paul Hazelwood

Re: Why we should preach the Gospel
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 01:49:03 AM »

I agree, I have come to see it this way as well.

If you go and see a movie you like, no doubt you will tell someone else.  If you really like it, sometimes you can't wait to tell others and if they have not seen it, it is hard not to spoil the movie because you want to tell them about your experience.

So, it is the same for me anyway in some ways.  Another aspect of this is that God uses his creation to accomplish universal reconciliation, so the point is not about there being no point,  thats how God does it.

martincisneros

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 02:47:24 AM »
To introduce the world to their King, Christ Jesus: Who He is; what proper etiquette is in His Kingdom; what His healthcare plan is; what His economic policies are; what His expectations are of citizens; what His expectations are of the Senators of His Kingdom (i.e. Christians); what His environmental programs are; what His plans are for the animal kingdom; what we can expect in terms of protection where His Angelic military is concerned; what His solution is to the apparently ever increasing Hell; what His draft notices are, what they look like, how to prepare for and report for duty, and what the weapons of our warfare consist of as Christians take their place in expanding His impact into every life everywhere, et. al.

Offline willieH

• Read Only
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 03:04:28 AM »
willieH:  Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetinz! :hithere:

(Not trying to be a smart alec... but)...

If ...EVERYONE, is gonna be SAVED... uh...  Why should we preach the GOSPEL:Chinscratch:

Hmmm... Did I hear that right?  ...you said, ...If EVERYONE is gonna be SAVED, Why should we preach the GOSPEL?   :dunno:

Hmmm... Let me make sure I got this right... you asked, ...If EVERYONE is gonna be SAVED, Why should we preach the GOSPEL:faint:

How about, simply because... CHRIST  INSTRUCTED US to do so???

Matt 28:19-20 ...GO ye therefore, and TEACH all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit: ...teaching them whatsoever I have COMMANDED you...

Mark 16:15 ...and he said unto them, GO YE into ALL the world, and PREACH the GOSPEL unto EVERY CREATURE...

:omg:  Is that not REASON ENOUGH?   :faint:

Do we really need any other REASONS, than that one?  :dontknow:

HEY!!!  :laughhand:  Here come those sweet little  "L :HeartThrob: V E"  preachers now!

:IloveU:   :gpg:     :ginlove:   :boyheart:   :girlheart:   :grin:   :Sparkletooth:   :winkgrin:   :icon_king:   :icon_queen:   :icon_flower:   :happy3:   :cloud9: :gangel:   :bgdance:   :dsunny:   :boogie:   :reachout:   :hiya:   :love4:   :mwink:   :giveheart:   :flowerred:   :mpardon:

peacE...
willieH   :myahoo:  :kiss2:  :declare: 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 03:10:53 AM by willieH »

Offline Tony N

• Bronze
    • Saviour of All Fellowship
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »
The reason we preach the evangel is not to save all mankind.

We don't personally know who it is that God, in His sovereign choice has chosen to be in His program for the oncoming eons. So we are like a sower of seeds. We broadcast the message among many people like a farmer broadcasts seed over his farm. Those whom God has chosen to be believing to be in His program will believe that message. . . the evangel. Those who don't just are not chosen for the next two eons/ages.

This does not mean they will not eventually be saved. They will, at the consummation of the ages.

So we preach to let people in on what God has done for them through His Son Jesus Christ.

You hip to this trip?

Tony
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:41:38 AM by Tony N »
Just because God says He will save all mankind
does not necessarily mean He won't.

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 05:36:31 PM »
I hope I don't sound too preachy- but I've been praying about this. If UR is true- and I've been led by the Holy Spirit to believe that it is- then what's the point of preaching the Gospel?

Here is what I think- it is so the non-Christians can experience the joy of a relationship with our Risen Saviour in THIS lifetime. What do you think?
  the Heavely realm /kingdom   sis
 Is  peace ,joy and the Holy Spirit  Paul announced in Romnas 14 ;17
  We desire  for all to be partakers of this   portion of Jesus Christs gift to us NOW    Being in the Spirit of the Holy GOD  is far better than dwelling in the  flesh / body of death ...

Faith comes by hearing Pauls said and  He preached  and comforted  as many as would  by the Spriit of Grace /Jesus Christ  :icon_flower:

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 05:59:41 PM »
13For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

16But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

--Romans 10

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 06:02:27 PM »

Thanks Mol , :HeartThrob:

Good to see it for yourself  in  the Word  :thumbsup:
  Have a  wondeful day sis   :icon_flower:

Rose

martincisneros

pneuma

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 11:31:43 PM »
Why preach the gospel at all?

Without a doubt this is one of the most asked questions of Universalist, everywhere we post we come across this question.

Here is my answer to this question

For me the reason Jesus was sent and the reason Jesus sends us is to free people through Him from sin and death. Salvation is not complete just because one believes Jesus died for them. Believing is only the starting point on our journey toward full salvation, for we are reconciled by His death, but saved by His life.

All men everywhere are already reconciled by His death, this is a done deal because He died 2000 years ago for all men's reconciliation and mans belief or unbelief CANNOT change this fact. If someone does not believe Jesus died for then simply does not change the fact that He did.

So then all men everywhere have already been reconciled, but not all men are yet saved from sin and death.

Therefore Jesus send us out in order to proclaim His salvation by His LIFE.
His death reconciled all men, but His LIFE is what saves all men, this salvation is not a one time deal as such, but is a long process of walking in His LIFE and forsaking our own. Taking up the cross and following Him and enduring unto the end that we might be saved.

Thus we are told to proclaim His death and therefore His reconciliation for all men as a FACT that cannot be disputed , and we are to do this so that the entire world can have the same hope in His LIFE that we to have. Thus it is not by His death that sin and death are defeated but by His LIFE.

When we witness about that which Jesus done, we are first to tell all men that they have been reconciled because of His death, this fact breathes hope into the world that God does indeed love them. Then after people become aware of the fact of this reconciliation by His death we are to proclaim His resurrection. And it is because of the fact that He was resurrected OUT OF DEATH that the world is given hope of the same resurrection OUT OF DEATH. We are NOT saved from death, we are saved OUT OF DEATH, for it was while we were DEAD in sin that He died and was raised to life again for us.

So the resurrection is a moving from DEATH to LIFE, so as He died for all men, so to did He rise for all men, and this is the gospel of the good new toward ALL MEN EVERYWHERE.

If one believes Jesus died for all men, should it not go without saying that when He rose again that it was for all men also? Can we really separate His death from His resurrection? If so, how then can DEATH be swallowed up of LIFE?

God bless

martincisneros

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 11:46:28 PM »
If someone does not believe Jesus died for then simply does not change the fact that He did.

So then all men everywhere have already been reconciled, but not all men are yet saved from sin and death.

Therefore Jesus send us out in order to proclaim His salvation by His LIFE.
His death reconciled all men, but His LIFE is what saves all men, this salvation is not a one time deal as such, but is a long process of walking in His LIFE and forsaking our own. Taking up the cross and following Him and enduring unto the end that we might be saved.

Thus we are told to proclaim His death and therefore His reconciliation for all men as a FACT that cannot be disputed , and we are to do this so that the entire world can have the same hope in His LIFE that we to have. Thus it is not by His death that sin and death are defeated but by His LIFE.

When we witness about that which Jesus done, we are first to tell all men that they have been reconciled because of His death, this fact breathes hope into the world that God does indeed love them. Then after people become aware of the fact of this reconciliation by His death we are to proclaim His resurrection. And it is because of the fact that He was resurrected OUT OF DEATH that the world is given hope of the same resurrection OUT OF DEATH. We are NOT saved from death, we are saved OUT OF DEATH, for it was while we were DEAD in sin that He died and was raised to life again for us.

So the resurrection is a moving from DEATH to LIFE, so as He died for all men, so to did He rise for all men, and this is the gospel of the good new toward ALL MEN EVERYWHERE.

If one believes Jesus died for all men, should it not go without saying that when He rose again that it was for all men also? Can we really separate His death from His resurrection? If so, how then can DEATH be swallowed up of LIFE?
pneuma,

I hope that all newbies to UR will read this post of yours on this thread between 20 to 40 times.  Otherwise, why would they be condemned for not believing the Gospel?  It's because, as John said in 1John, that they're denying the record that God has given of His Son.  And what is that record?  That He's the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world and not just of the repentant.  The whole world will repent and be brought by Jesus Christ to fully submit themselves to God.  UR at it's core is the Biblical message of Biblical submission when you bottomline it and the roughly 600 passages of Scripture that are about it.  But many people confuse the process with the end result.  Going into any kind of fire and being found in any degree of destruction, separation, torments, worms, wrath, and if there's any other description of Biblical judgment DOESN'T TAKE AWAY FROM THE END GOAL IN MIND.  When God was His absolute angriest with Israel that He's ever been, and perhaps the angriest that He'll ever be with them, that's when He thundered that the whole earth will be FILLED with His glory.  Doesn't it say somewhere that the glory of a King is His people? (Proverbs 14:28)

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 11:53:24 PM »
18 Now everything is from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation:  19 that is, in Christ, God was reconciling the world  to Himself,  not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed the message of reconciliation to us. 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors  for Christ; certain that God is appealing through us, we plead on Christ's behalf, "Be reconciled to God." 21 He made the One who did not know sin to be sin for us,  so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

--2 Cor 5

20 For if, having escaped the world's impurity through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in these things and defeated, the last state is worse for them than the first.

--2 Peter 2

26 Then it goes and brings seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and settle down there. As a result, that man's last condition is worse than the first."

--Luke 11
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:55:22 PM by Molly »

martincisneros

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 12:19:54 AM »
20 For if, having escaped the world's impurity through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in these things and defeated, the last state is worse for them than the first.

--2 Peter 2
For this life.
26 Then it goes and brings seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and settle down there. As a result, that man's last condition is worse than the first."

--Luke 11
For this life. Some might even literalize with Christ's comment that followed that that's what it was like for that first century generation.  But for this life, I don't think that there's a Scripture that precludes the individual from having a very bad ending in this life if they don't leave their sin and something worse comes upon them.

Both of these Scriptures are difficulties for those denying any type of afterlife punishment/processing that if not dealt with during the afterlife state is most definitely dealt with in the resurrection.  At the same time, the book of Proverbs says that since the righteous are recompensed in the earth, much more the wicked.  ""Hell"" and the ""Lake of Fire"" are on the earth, though not necessarily this life so that both those that believe in afterlife punishments and those that deny afterlife punishments are essentially saying the exact same things, differing only in semantics, BECAUSE God doesn't drag a sinner by the hair of the head into His throne room in the center of New Jerusalem and dispense the whippings there.  They're raised to life and raised to condemnation in this world, though not necessarily in this brief life time.

Again, this doesn't affect the state of things where "in Christ shall all be made alive" is concerned after long eons on the New Earth; likely 4 to 6 thousand years into that world to perfectly conform to every possible definition of "ages of ages" although there are technicalities on which that phrase can be very, very brief.  But for all to be all, then it's got to include however many generations that Father intends before Christ delivers up the Kingdom to the Father.  As I posted elsewhere from Andrew Jukes's book:

Every scholar knows that the expressions, "ages," "to the ages," "age of the ages," and "ages of the ages," are unlike anything which occurs in the heathen Greek writers. The reason is, that the inspired writers, and they alone, understood the mystery and purpose of the "ages." They, or at least the Spirit which spake by them, saw that there would be a succession of "ages," a certain number of which constituted another greater "age." It seems to me that when they simply intended a duration of many "ages," they wrote "to the ages." When they had in view a greater and more comprehensive "age," including in it many other subordinate "ages," they wrote "to the age of ages." When they intended the longer "age" alone, without regard to its constituent parts, they wrote "to an aeonial age"; this form of expression being a Hebraism, exactly equivalent to "age of the ages:" like "liberty of glory," for "glorious liberty," (Rom. viii. 21,) and "body of our vileness," for "our vile body." (Phil. iii. 21.) When they intended the several comprehensive "ages" collectively, they wrote "to the ages of ages." Each varying form is used with a distinct purpose and meaning.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 12:37:24 AM »
For this life. Some might even literalize with Christ's comment that followed that that's what it was like for that first century generation.  But for this life, I don't think that there's a Scripture that precludes the individual from having a very bad ending in this life if they don't leave their sin and something worse comes upon them.

But, then again, the evil are often prospering in this life while the righeous are not.  So 'his end is worse' can't just refer to this life.

Nevertheless, the apostle is pleading with them to be reconciled to God for a reason.

Also, 'all be made alive' might not be such a good thing if there's punishment/correction when you are made alive...?

Whatever--I am given no insight on this subject of afterlife for some reason.

martincisneros

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 12:46:23 AM »
Being responsible for billions of dollars can be it's own chastisement if a person prospers in the world rather than in God.  The blessing of the Lord makes RICH AND adds no sorrow with it.  But there's a tremendous amount of sorrow to prospering in the world as the automotive industry in the U.S. is finding out the hard way with the money having dried up and them having to drive to Congress looking like Sanford and Son to beg for a handout to keep millions of people in jobs from the manufacturers to the dealerships and auto parts stores.  Congress seems to be laughing in their faces and apart from Obama really having all of that much influence, it's looking like the auto industry is about to have the big one and go to see Elizabeth.

martincisneros

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 01:03:35 AM »
Also, 'all be made alive' might not be such a good thing if there's punishment/correction when you are made alive...?
Being clobbered for hardness of heart and unbelief, since Christ's Blood has already taken away the sin of the world, is momentary and the love and joys of life in the Father are for eternity.  A couple of guys on the road to Emmaus, Apostle Thomas, Saul of Tarsus, and Elymas deeply appreciate having been condemned for their unbelief of the Gospel.  It meant getting past their unbelief through divine intervention in each case.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 01:16:52 AM »
Being clobbered for hardness of heart and unbelief, since Christ's Blood has already taken away the sin of the world, is momentary and the love and joys of life in the Father are for eternity.  A couple of guys on the road to Emmaus, Apostle Thomas, Saul of Tarsus, and Elymas deeply appreciate having been condemned for their unbelief of the Gospel.  It meant getting past their unbelief through divine intervention in each case.

Maybe.  But why is the apostle pleading with them to be reconciled?

30For we know Him Who said, Vengeance is Mine [retribution and the meting out of full justice rest with Me]; I will repay [I will exact the compensation], says the Lord. And again, The Lord will judge and determine and solve and settle the cause and the cases of His people.

31It is a fearful (formidable and terrible) thing to incur the divine penalties and be cast into the hands of the living God!

--Heb 10

martincisneros

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 01:28:03 AM »
Perfect restitution and the sterness of the Father Who chastens every son whom He receives are a part of the Gospel.  And the Scripture says that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself.  People still have to receive it, but God having already determined the end from the beginning is committed to being as persuasive as He needs to be because all souls are His, according to Ezekiel 18:4, and He's willing that all come to repentance (2Peter 3:9), so we have His abundantly merciful promise that the Day of the Lord will come.  If He's not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance, and He's guaranteed that He'll have His Day, then what else could that mean as an end result of all of it hitting the fan?? 

When His judgments are in the earth, then the world will learn righteousness and not before.  John 17:23 says that the world's going to KNOW that God has sent Jesus and has loved them as much as He's loved Jesus.  How many judgment passages are there in Ezekiel where it says "And they're going to know that I'm the LORD!"?  The knowledge of the Lord converts the soul, according to the Psalms and various other passages.  There will be perfect restitution for every injustice, but that neither means eternal punishment nor eternal destruction in the KJV way of looking at it.

martincisneros

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 02:09:36 AM »
For clarity on what I've said:
Each of these people still had to be confronted by the risen Lord, and this was frightening for Apostle Thomas, Saul of Tarsus, and for Elymas when he was blinded.  Thomas heard it in His Voice when He walked in the room and said "Come here, right now!"  Saul of Tarsus and Elymas were unable to see the light of the sun for a season.  Elymas at least knew, if he didn't get overly frightened and forget, that it would be for a season, but Saul of Tarsus had no such word to hang on to from the Lord that his blindness was temporary.  Until he had a vision of Ananias coming in and removing the scales from his eyes through the power of the Holy Spirit, he had no assurance of anything other than he'd been wrong all of this time and the risen Christ had smitten him blind.  It had to cross his mind about what else could be wrong with his body that he couldn't see, though thankfully nobody had said anything up until that point about him being a leper.  And what was the testimony of those on the road to Emmaus when they realized it was Jesus that had been talking with them?  "how our hearts burned within us as He spoke...."
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:38:49 AM by martincisneros »

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 02:40:41 AM »
For clarity on what I've said:
Each of these people still had to be confronted by the risen Lord, and this was frightening for Apostle Thomas, Saul of Tarsus, and for Elymas when he was blinded.  Thomas heard it in His Voice when He walked in the room and said "Come here, right now!"  Saul of Tarsus and Elymas were unable to see the light of the sun for a season.  Elymas at least knew, if he didn't get overly frightened and forget, that it would be for a season, but Saul of Tarsus had no such word to hang on to from the Lord that his blindness was temporary.  Until he had a vision of Ananias coming in and removing the scales from his eyes through the power of the Holy Spirit, he had no assurance of anything other than he'd been wrong all of this time and the risen Christ had smitten him blind.  It had to cross his mind about what else could be wrong with his body that he couldn't see, though thankfully nobody had said anything up until that point about him being a leper.  And what was the testimony of those on the road to Elymas when they realized it was Jesus that had been talking with them?  "how our hearts burned within us as He spoke...."
I'm sure there could be worse.

But for Mary, this:

John 20:16
Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni;...

martincisneros

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 02:52:50 AM »
I'm sure there could be worse.
If He decided to cremate absolutely every single one of us very slowly over the course of the next 3 days, or to drop us all into a black hole with the supercollider experiment (outer darkness??), we'd still have to see the end intended by the Lord, as Job did, where the righteous came out with twice as much or more and the wicked "friends" being delivered through the intercession of righteous Job.  If Job had more kids with his wife, then that presupposes that God didn't turn her into Lot's wife for the wise counsel (?) that she gave Job about cursing God and dying.  She'd obviously already done it by that point, but she's unquestionably a recipient of the goodness of God at the end of the day with her husband and wound up having more than she'd ever had.  I'm amazed that I haven't bumped into a single UR author anywhere, either contemporary or in any previous century, that's commented on Job's wife, and yet you have no other choice than God having dumped His goodness on her to bring her to repentance.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 04:28:58 AM »
Martin: a question for you.

Let's say you have a friend who either doesn't believe in God (atheist) or doesn't give it a second thought one way or another.

Why would they react like you threw acid in their face if you mention Jesus?

I mean violent, angry reactions.

Does this mean they have a demon?  Or a seared conscience?  Or what, in your opinion?

Why not just bored indifference?

alihaymeg

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 04:47:58 AM »
If I may interject,

I find that it is usually the approach that is irritating to people. You can't harvest corn in the winter. You have to wait until it is ripe for harvesting. Wait for an opportunity to share your beliefs. When someone asks you what you think or feel about a subject, you can subtly introduce your beliefs about God. Be careful not to be accusing or appear to be attempting to convert them. It is all about planting seeds. They will then go away and think about what you have said as long as it was said in love and made sense to them.

One reason that some atheists and agnostics reject talk of God is that they take pride in trying to debunk Christianity. Don't argue with a fool. Don't cast your pearls before swine. It is not our job to convince them of anything. It is our job to speak the truth of the gospel. Let the Holy Spirit do the convincing. It is not in our power to change the heart of another person. We can only plant seeds at the proper time and water them.

martincisneros

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 04:51:19 AM »
Martin: a question for you.

Let's say you have a friend who either doesn't believe in God (atheist) or doesn't give it a second thought one way or another.

Why would they react like you threw acid in their face if you mention Jesus?

I mean violent, angry reactions.

Does this mean they have a demon?  Or a seared conscience?  Or what, in your opinion?

Why not just bored indifference?

Jesus said that there was a guy that was forgiven a $20 debt and another one that was forgiven a $20,000,000 debt, and then asked which would be more grateful.  Each atheist is different.  Some are demonized and it's simply a deliverance issue that God will work out in His own time, particularly quicker if there are faithful intercessors for that person.  Some of them are violently offended at God because of something in their past that they're offended at God about.  Some of them are deeply offended by ET Christianity, or Annihilationist religious situations like with growing up around the J.W.s, SDAs, etc.  George MacDonald brought up about some of them that it was the Spirit of God rising up inside of them raging against all of their false ideas about God.  Hardness of anyone's heart is completely irrelevant to God's redemptive program in Christ.  He can melt the hardest heart in moments and the Scriptures say that He'll pour out His Spirit upon all flesh, which would include that of an atheist.  God doesn't believe in atheists. :cloud9:

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 05:25:24 PM »
If I may interject,

I find that it is usually the approach that is irritating to people. You can't harvest corn in the winter. You have to wait until it is ripe for harvesting. Wait for an opportunity to share your beliefs. When someone asks you what you think or feel about a subject, you can subtly introduce your beliefs about God. Be careful not to be accusing or appear to be attempting to convert them. It is all about planting seeds. They will then go away and think about what you have said as long as it was said in love and made sense to them.

One reason that some atheists and agnostics reject talk of God is that they take pride in trying to debunk Christianity. Don't argue with a fool. Don't cast your pearls before swine. It is not our job to convince them of anything. It is our job to speak the truth of the gospel. Let the Holy Spirit do the convincing. It is not in our power to change the heart of another person. We can only plant seeds at the proper time and water them.

Wise Words ! alihaymeg   :thumbsup:   
  seed to the sower  all in due season ... :icon_flower:

I am reminded of Jesus   comeing to save mens lives 
 when the sons of thunder wanted to destroy w/fire[to me that can be speaking curses  in anger and rage ] the peoples who would not   accept Jesus /Word

He told them two that they did not know what  manner of spirit they were of , I am sure they did not know either   ha!  :mshock:
  Jesus teaches the way of peace  and the Love of God  to me  :cloud9: