Author Topic: Why do we need the Bible?  (Read 4249 times)

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
Re: Why do we need the Bible?
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2010, 06:51:58 AM »
I am also an equal opportunity rejector of state churches. Luther, Calvin and Knox also approved many martyrdoms against disident believers, Catholic, Anabaptist and otherwise- lest anyone think I have a specificly Catholic bias- I just think man( the beast) takes the throne in all highly organized and dogmatic institutions, in Christ's or any other name. :)
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »
Hi Paul.  Thanks.  It sounds to me like the Bible was used, as one vehicle, to reinforce what was already in someone's (unfortunately, your parents) heart - whatever the source of that was.  Blessings to you on your jouney of recovery from that.

About anything can be used properly and for good, or misused for harm and destruction.  I believe that's from the condition of the human heart (or mentally ill mind, etc.) - and though the Words of God are obviously good, a demented mind can twist them and hurt with them.  

They crucified the Savior.  

He is risen.

Well James, I understand what your saying, but how does the atheist I know never fail to treat me with respect without it?

I can find good in the bible, but it was not the bible that causes me to do that, there is something outside the bible that has driven me to overcome something that is used as a weapon against me. 

Offline peacemaker

• Bronze
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2010, 10:35:24 PM »
It only takes a few drops of oil to light the lamp stand, as the Spirit brings peace, wisdom, and holiness; not bloodshed and death.

peacemaker

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2010, 10:39:08 PM »

Oh! peacemaker. You are joy.

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2010, 11:53:33 PM »
  and then suddenly.
Matthew 25: 8-10

Offline peacemaker

• Bronze
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »
and then suddenly.
Matthew 25: 8-10

Two Foundations

When Jesus had finished these words, the people were amazed at His doctrine; for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes. (Matthew 7:28-29)

http://rockysand.com

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 09:33:12 AM »
For God's Word is continually living and effective in operation;  it can cut much better than any two-edged sword;  it can penetrate even as far as to divide both the sentient being and the spirit into parts, both their outer connective part and their deepest inner parts;  and it can judge the feelings and thoughts of the heart.  Heb. 4:12

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.  Ps 119:105

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.  Ps 119:11

Revive me according to Your lovingkindness, So that I may keep the testimony of Your mouth.
For ever, O LORD, your word is settled in heaven.
I will never forget your precepts: for with them you have quickened me. Ps. 119:88,89,93

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 02:17:20 PM »

Peacemaker,
I see no rocks in the sand, only tracks.