Author Topic: Why do we need the Bible?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline claypot

• Bronze
Why do we need the Bible?
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:32:52 PM »
Serious question. Why do we need the Bible? Really. Why? Or at least why do we need so much of it? Sure it tells of God and man yet it really is a cause of much confusion and fighting and hatred. Isn't it all summed up by the words to love God and your neighbor?

cp
For it is God who works in us to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Paul Hazelwood

Re: Why do we need the Bible?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »
Serious question. Why do we need the Bible? Really. Why? Or at least why do we need so much of it? Sure it tells of God and man yet it really is a cause of much confusion and fighting and hatred. Isn't it all summed up by the words to love God and your neighbor?

cp

It is a good question.  One thing I have always found curious is some will say that man has no excuse to know who God is even if they have never heard about Jesus or seen a bible.

This usually comes from those who would say that someone who has never heard of Jesus could still go to hell.

But to answer your question may go against forum rules, so what I will say is that when I was young I  knew what I believed now about Gods love before I knew how to read.

I won't say I need the bible now, but I do like reading it because it does seem to validate that people 1000's of years ago thought the same kinds of things I believe today.

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:59:57 PM »

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

but, perhaps, until

There is arising a Living Book, flowing the Grace of God out from it's pages into the souls of mankind.
The Holy Spirit in the vessel is not still pool, only as the Spirit stirs the waters do you have the anointing.

Luke 21:15;
for I will give you utterance and wisdom which none of your opponents will be able to withstand or reply to

Offline claypot

• Bronze
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »
I am not out for meaningless dialog here and the responses so far are very good and I do not want to go against forum rules but I will continue by asking why we say the Bible as we commonly know it (the 66 books) is THE BIBLE?

Where does it say the 66 books we refer to as the Bible is the Bible?

I suppose just the fact that the Bible has been around for so long is one proof of it being divine in some way but then again there are lots of written works that stand that test.

Got to run but loving God and loving ones neighbor seems to sum it up quite nicely.

cp
For it is God who works in us to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »

Those 66 books are only the "Protestant Bible."
There are many others.

Only the Spirit divides the Truth and given the question maybe it's our Time to close the book and just BE IT.

Praise the Lord, Come Quickly Lord Jesus.
How long, O Lord, O How Long?

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »

I think the issue of the 66 books is often defended in the wrong light in my opinion.

First and foremost there is one scripture that has been preserved that may give us a clue about this.

I do not recall chapter and verse at the moment, but it is about what good does what we know mean if we have not love.

We could have 66 books, 132 books, 264 books and would people fight and argue, critisize and demean any less? Perhaps there would be even more verses to use against one another.

I think the number of books is irrelevant.    I know this.  "Love thy neighbor"  is just one verse and most if not all of us in our whole lifetime will probably not measure up to what that truly means let alone think more books is going to cause us to.

Zeek

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 06:40:38 PM »
For me, the "bible" served (past tense) a very important purpose in my life, as a stepping stone in my maturity.  I now enjoy discussing it, but in daily life, I no longer "need" the bible;  Love revealed is a beautiful experience; and I know who I am.  (hope that makes sense, and doesn't sound prideful)  

Syndicated

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 06:41:40 PM »
Hey CP,

I have asked this exact question within this past year, and within this limited time this is what I have discovered...

Isn't it all summed up by the words to love God and your neighbor?

For a child, there would be no question about following that.  The problem is that we grow older, mature and gain the ability to reason and doubt what we hear, we as humans have to know the reason behind what we believe, and we loose the sense of 'trust' in just 'being told'.  For example, when I was a child and my dad would say something like 'It's raining cats and dogs outside' I would run to the window to see if there were actually cats and dogs falling from the sky.  As I grew older, I realized that it wasn't true... not that he would lie to me, but that what he was saying wasn't possible and I learned to not believe everything I was told.  The bible shows us that God will not exagerate, nor will He lead us astray in anything.  It shows us all we need to know about God, about His love, faithfulness and mercy towards all mankind; that God is Truth and we have no reason to mistrust Him because He has never gone back on anything He has promised... and it shows how we can share that truth and love with other people.

Sure it tells of God and man yet it really is a cause of much confusion and fighting and hatred.

The problems come in when people don't read the bible for what it says and they try to put hidden messages into things that are straight forward;  they try to put a different spin on verses to make it suit their life as to make it look like they're 'not so bad' people.  People forget that the bible was a book written some 1950+ years ago to the people of and for that time, not about people of the year 2010.  It's like reading the Lord of the Rings and saying that the ring really symbolizes man's selfishness (sin) and the journey that Frodo, who was the only one pure enough to handle the burden of carrying this evil ring, went on with this ring was to battle the 'demons' (pride, greed, arrogance, etc.) within himself.  That it's about the people that went with him were either angels or demons to him in his life, to either help him or try to cause him to fail in conquering his own demons and succeeding, and that the battles along the way symbolize the struggles we all face day to day in life. The summary of the story is that because good overcame evil in the world that Frodo can be likened to Jesus because he 'defeated' the evil powers in that world.  But that's rediculous and we all know that's not what the story is about.  There is no hidden menaing!  It's about a ring with power given to a naive child-like hobbit who has the task of destroying it lest it fall into the wrong hands, and those wrong hands want to destroy the world they live in, and about what happens to them along the way.

It's once you put that 'hidden meaning' behind something that was written that it becomes rediculous.  It's when people do this with what was written in the bible to suit their own lifestyle that other people will argue... 'Does it mean this? Because if it does then I'm still safe, but you're not'... the whole thing is rediculous then and becomes a useless bone of contention.

:2c:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »
Where does it say the 66 books we refer to as the Bible is the Bible?
How about 7x7=49 books....  :laughing7:

http://www.tentmaker.org/forum/index.php?topic=3018.msg90549#msg90549
Reply #4 and #7
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Dallas

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 07:49:17 PM »
Without the bible, we would have no knowledge of the promises that were achieved and the goodness and the good things that we were included in at the cross.  The bible is not God's love letter to the world, the bible is a historical contract between God and mankind with a primary focus of the Hebrew people.  Without this written record we would be lost in the world without God.  But it is through these very oracles through which God has chosen to reveal who and what we are.

Dallas

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »

Oracles bring forth a spoken word not a written account.
Thus He says He will always have a remnant.
Even if every Bible was burned, the Word of God will always be heard.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 08:55:01 PM »
Mod note - please let's be sure and keep this topic to the OP, why do we need the bible - not why we don't need the bible.  As outright textual criticism (trashing/discounting) is not an allowed topic on TM, that way we can keep the thread open and share helpful thoughts with each other.   Thanks  :bigGrin:
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »
Without the bible, we would have no knowledge of the promises that were achieved and the goodness and the good things that we were included in at the cross....God has chosen to reveal who and what we are.

Dallas

Agreed, and I'd add Who He is.  The scriptures is one of the major ways God chose to reveal Himself to us.  Intricately tied into the scriptures is Jesus, the Word made flesh Who dwelt among us, and the Holy Spirit's revelation of God's Words and Thoughts. 

David said God's Word is a lamp unto his feet, and a light unto His path.  Jesus said man cannot live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.  God said heaven and earth would pass away but His Word would endure.  God through Paul said all scripture is God-breathed and for our instruction.  God through Peter said no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.  God's Word is spoken, written, was made flesh, and is revealed by the Holy Spirit within the heart.
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 09:24:21 PM »

Amen.
Some view the Bible as simply a book; it is just dried ink and paper.
BUT, when you open it and read the Holy Words, they become alive and active
and applicable to our life and the whole creation around us.
Our spirit leaps and bounds in adoration of the Word of God contained in the Bible.
It is far more than simply a book, and it's being is no accident.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 09:58:31 PM »
Amen.  I can read it with a bitter, unchanged heart, and attempt to use it to reinforce the already existing hardness of my heart - or ignore it and dismiss it - (though only for a season, because "my Word will not return unto me void - be not decieved, God is not mocked").  

Or, only by the grace and empowerment of God, I can read it with an open, believing heart, the Spirit bringing the Words to life in me, and it can be a big part of God changing my heart and mind into His will.  I need more of this occurring every day in me.

Offline Dallas

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 01:47:03 AM »
Agreed, and I'd add Who He is.

o.k. I'll add it  :thumbsup:

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 02:04:59 AM »
LOL, I really meant "I'll" add it, but OK, we got it  :mlaugh:...

Offline Dallas

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 02:09:05 AM »
LOL, I really meant "I'll" add it, but OK, we got it  ...

:laughing7:

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 06:58:10 AM »
For me it is the Book for Life, The Book, is my daily bread.  Its words open Light to my thoughts that have no meaning and gives meaning for my walk. The Lord still shows me and I am sure you all to, the hidden things, those nuggets of treasure that make you just lay the Book flat on your lap and say GLORY! Thank You Jesus! And a new street is opened for me to experience in and through Him. Yes the Book is Life for me To Day.
Peace and Love Through Jesus.
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 07:42:12 AM »
The temple menorah, the candlestick has 66 parts.  Filled with oil, this stylized almond tree is upon what the fire burns in the holy place.  It provides the light in the holy place.  In us it is the Word (lampstand) that is the body of the anointing (oil.)  This we understand is the Eclessia.
+ + + + + + + + + + + ++ + + + + + + + +
The Scripture also gives us a common language and shared stories with which we can examine and share about God and spiritual things.
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »
Halleluja, praise God!

Offline chuckt

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »

I do not recall chapter and verse at the moment, but it is about what good does what we know mean if we have not love.

one of my fav chapters...1 cor 13.

it is also my opinion God wants most men confused today.

peace

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 05:43:19 PM »
The temple menorah, the candlestick has 66 parts.  Filled with oil, this stylized almond tree is upon what the fire burns in the holy place.  It provides the light in the holy place.  In us it is the Word (lampstand) that is the body of the anointing (oil.)  This we understand is the Eclessia.
+ + + + + + + + + + + ++ + + + + + + + +
The Scripture also gives us a common language and shared stories with which we can examine and share about God and spiritual things.

:cloud9: AMEN  :thumbsup:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Jerm

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 06:24:44 AM »
The Bible is the written testimony of our ancestors in the faith.  The various books were written by people who experienced God and serves as a touchstone for us to continually look back on as we walk out our lives with God.  Ultimately, I would actually say that we don't "need" it and by that I mean that Scripture is not necessary for a person to have an intimate relationship with God.  For centuries, it was about as common as a flying walrus for the average person to possess their own copy of the Scriptures, let alone being able to read it with any decent ability.  Does that mean we should just do away with it? Of course not! That's like telling a perfectly healthy person that since they can live a happy, fully functional life with no legs that we ought to chop theirs off right then and there.  So to sum it up, it's not essential but it is of immense value and we should truly feel blessed that in our time it is very easy not only to own a copy but also to be able to read it. 

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 07:08:49 AM »
I'd suggest that in God's overall plan and according to His will, He has chosen for us to now have the written scriptures.  If some didn't/don't have it, then of course their responsibility is for just what they've been given - to walk in the amount of Light they had.  But IMO, if we're given it, once we have it we're then responsible for what we do with it.  My  :2c:.

"To whom much is given, much is required".