Author Topic: Why be Christian?  (Read 1243 times)

orlando02

Why be Christian?
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:48:06 AM »
It makes sense to me that there should not be eternal punishment for people who just happen not to be Christian, but are good people nonetheless, unlike the teachings of some churches. However if we are all saved regardless, is there any particular benefit to being Christian? Would you say it is still the most effective way to have a close relationship with God, and that that therefore brings satisfaction and helps you live a good, happy life, even if it is not a matter of (eternal) life or death?

Offline Lefein

• Bronze
Re: Why be Christian?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:17:17 AM »
Christ came so that we could have life, and life in abundance.  Not just in the "sweet by and by" but here and now.  The best of what God can give us, true joy, and true enjoyment.

Love vs. "pretend love", for example.
CLV: Proverbs 10:12 Hatred, it rouses up quarrels, Yet love covers over all transgressions.
KJV: Proverbs 10:12 Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:20:57 AM »
There are benefits to being a christian, but its not really a road for happiness as such, but it does bring contentment in that one has a relationship with God. It can be hell sometimes being a christian on many levels, such as abstaining from sin and also helping others when one does not feel like it. The more devout christians who are missionaires etc also suffer a lot of persecution in many forms, they williingly sacrifice their lives because they love Jesus and are willing to enlist in his army in order to help His cause of transforming mens lives and making this a better world. Many of the freedoms we have today is because of what the forefathers fought with their lives for, by preserving the gospel message, and overcoming tyrranical goverments and various groups that were against freedom, liberty and the love found in the message of Jesus Christ.
Jesus said to occupy till his return and so christians labour to bring truth and light into this world of darkness, to set the captives free, heal the sick etc all done though Christ.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 05:53:50 AM »
It makes sense to me that there should not be eternal punishment for people who just happen not to be Christian, but are good people nonetheless, unlike the teachings of some churches. However if we are all saved regardless, is there any particular benefit to being Christian? Would you say it is still the most effective way to have a close relationship with God, and that that therefore brings satisfaction and helps you live a good, happy life, even if it is not a matter of (eternal) life or death?

Where Job, Noach, Moses, Abraham, Daniel, etc Christians? I think that question on itself is a good start to refute the idea that there can be no repentance after death.
Only
Christians goto heaven. But eventually everyone wiill kneel and confess/thank Jesus for all He did/is. And then we have 100% Christians....
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 06:19:16 AM »
Bold and out of step one might think of me, I do not consider myself as a christian and I do not trust nor take heed to the witness of christians. 
Peace and Love Through Jesus.
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 06:32:50 AM »
Oh you bold and out of step one!   :happygrin:

I think I understand your sentiment, in some ways it's sort of like 'universalism', that some have given it a bad name.

Your statement got me to wondering something.  We've been talking about The Christian Bible (1991) and how it's one of, if not the most literal translation to the Koine Greek.  I thought maybe they didn't use the word Christian, then I'm like, duh, it's the "Christian Bible" LOL.

Anyway, I looked up this passage in it;  ... Now it occurred too that for a whole year they were gathered together with the group of Called Ones, and taught a considerable crowd.  In addition, it was in Antioch [a city in N.W Syria] that the students were first dealt with by the label of Christians ["Followers of the Anointed One"].  Acts 11:26

Interesting...there not being an electronic version of TCB, I don't know if that's the only use of that title in the translation or not.   :dontknow:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:37:59 AM by jabcat »
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Lefein

• Bronze
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:55:56 AM »
If they print the bible electronically, they must surely have a program, or a bit of text on a computer that they print from.  That could be converted, or perhaps re-formed into a spreadable electronic copy.

If you can get into a conversation, perhaps by phone, you might talk about what process they use in printing the bibles, if they indeed use a program, or have a digital file that a program uses to print the bible - they can give it to you, or to someone who can make a proper digital version, perhaps even an e-sword module.
CLV: Proverbs 10:12 Hatred, it rouses up quarrels, Yet love covers over all transgressions.
KJV: Proverbs 10:12 Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 07:10:54 AM »
I for one desire a personal conversation with the bretheren and I will make if up there since I live close by. May I add that I love you guys. :bigGrin:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 07:16:38 AM »
 :cloud9: @ Orlando......because it beats whatever is in second place  :winkgrin:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 07:33:46 AM »
I for one desire a personal conversation with the bretheren and I will make if up there since I live close by. May I add that I love you guys. :bigGrin:

And we love you too Micah.   :HeartThrob:

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:47:12 AM »
Orlando, I think that is a terrific question.  I can only speak for myself but life without Christ brings me misery, depression, and behavior that leads to death.  He is my rock.  He is my strength.  I crave him more than my next breath.  I have nothing without him and everything with him.  I desire to live every moment as a living sacrifice of praise and thankfulness.  I have life, health, my wonderful wife and children.  I have sanity.  I have peace.  When storms come my way and like Peter I begin to sink because of my own doubts he is the hand that pulls me out.  Can a value be placed on this relationship?

If I was looking at this from an agnostic point of view and all I knew was life without Christ I'm not sure the relationship talk would make sense to me.  I wouldn't know how one could become so attatched to the Creator we can not see.  Unfortunately, fear might be a motivator for me.  I know it was when I was young.  What I can say is Jesus warns us about Gehenna, and I do not believe he was JUST talking about the judgment upon Israel in 70 AD.  I think it was also a reference to us all.  If Jesus warns us about it...it's not a place we want to be even if it's only temporal correction.  Not to mention, I believe there will be significant value to being the "first fruits" which I believe refers to believers.  Much of this is a mystery to me.  I don't have it all figured out nor do I need to.  With that said, when presenting these concepts to someone who is not a believer I must say that belief not only has value in this life but also after physical death.

I suggest you seek and taste...and see the Lord is indeed good.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 10:01:55 AM »
If they print the bible electronically,
I can't imagine there are still other ways.
Their hardcover Bible uses high quality paper and the printing itself is good quality too. A prpfessional job so their must have been a .pdf that was generated from another electronic format. They started their project by building a database of translated works. That again hints to a electronic version.

they must surely have a program, or a bit of text on a computer that they print from.  That could be converted, or perhaps re-formed into a spreadable electronic copy.

If you can get into a conversation, perhaps by phone, you might talk about what process they use in printing the bibles, if they indeed use a program, or have a digital file that a program uses to print the bible - they can give it to you, or to someone who can make a proper digital version, perhaps even an e-sword module.
That shouldn't be that hard. e-Sword 8 is just an Access database with a diferent extention. I would for certain want to give it a very good try to convert.
Gary could even sell it in his online bookstore and give part of the profits to those people.
Doesn't have to be much because they never made (much) profit anyhow; unless high volume translations like KJV have huge margins.
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
Oh you bold and out of step one!   :happygrin:

I think I understand your sentiment, in some ways it's sort of like 'universalism', that some have given it a bad name.
I think a short to-the-point name/description should be made.

If I read the 19th century books from Google I see that back the Universalism simply means what Gary teaches.
The other guys where called Unitrarians.

Quaesitor

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »
Orlando, I think that is a terrific question.  I can only speak for myself but life without Christ brings me misery, depression, and behavior that leads to death.  He is my rock.  He is my strength.  I crave him more than my next breath.  I have nothing without him and everything with him.  I desire to live every moment as a living sacrifice of praise and thankfulness.  I have life, health, my wonderful wife and children.  I have sanity.  I have peace.  When storms come my way and like Peter I begin to sink because of my own doubts he is the hand that pulls me out.  Can a value be placed on this relationship?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Terrific answer!

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 05:58:04 PM »
 :cloud9: Amen, I second  :thumbsup: that....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

PaoloNuevo

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 06:54:23 AM »
"Why does heaven (the skies) and earth endure? Because they live not only for themselves."
- LAO TZU, Tao Te Ching

I think a true life of purpose, and abundance is found in giving and the service of others. It doesn't mean we don't allow ourselves some recreation, but defining ourselves by our money, our possessions and achievements are very low levels of living. Jesus simply wanted us to be as abundant as we possibly could and extend those blessings to everyone around us. What you do for the very least of people, you also do to Him.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 06:58:37 AM »
 :thumbsup: