Author Topic: Which Bible version do you use most?  (Read 4302 times)

Offline fullarmor2

Which Bible version do you use most?
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:27:07 AM »
   I would like to know which version you favor so I can check it out.  Thank you.
For all those who live in the shadow of death,  a glorious light has dawned!  And for all those who stumble in the darkness,   behold,   your light has come!!

Offline Pierac

• Bronze
Re: Which Bible version do you use most?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 06:32:51 AM »
I use e-sword and compare over 50+ bibles. All bible versions have their strength and weaknesses.  :thumbsup: I tend to favor the NASB.  :dontknow: I also like the YLT, CLV, and ESV.  The CEV is the easiest to read and helps me get a simple understanding before a word study, but it is weak in some areas of translation. Of course this is only my opinion,  :2c:  I'm no bible expert.   :sigh:

Peace,
Paul

Offline Kratos

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 07:20:38 AM »
I guess I am 'old school', but I still prefer reading the NKJV as it is most familiar and poetic to me without the 'thees' and 'thous'. But, when I run into an apparent contradiction of a verse that I know by the Spirit has "something on it" for me, I will use e-sword to study it out.

John
Send me a Personal message
Seeking a Kingdom whose Builder and Maker is God

Offline 97531

• Restricted
  • Truth is Freedom
    • Father's Love Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 08:09:25 AM »
I use the NKJV like Kratos, it is the one I am familiar with but in studies, I use e-sword for comparisons.

My Blog       Father's Love Forum - New
IHWLAMAHOB
Christian Milkshake: Pressed down, shaken together and more than we can hope for

arcticmonster2003

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 10:33:06 AM »
I used to use the NASB, but then switched to the KJV. I like both versions, but many christians consider only the KJV the "real bible", and so I use it for arguments sake, and I like it as well and don't find it too difficult to understand, many will not even talk about scriptures with me unless I refer to the KJV, this can be distracting and it is best to just get past this point with them since there was no harm to me switching.

Offline Redlettervoice

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 01:11:55 PM »

I think if you are going to be a Student of the Word, it is "GOOD" to use the "SAME" type Bible "all"
the time!  For instance, "I" have used KJV, which I prefer, the version, but not only do I prefer the
"version" I prefer to "always" buy a Bible that in the top of page 30 it starts reading the same way
the last did...and page 32 and so on, any page.  Why? Because I have a photogenic mind concerning the scriptures......and let's face
it, theres a lot of pieces to that giant puzzel!! I found years ago that the SAME TYPESET was used
on many publishers pages.  I studied also for 12 years before I ever used the "center column" references. They too, are inspired.  I found that out after I acquainted myself so with the KJV and
"then" began using them. I heard they were written over a 12 year period by a prisoner.  I tend to
NOW "notice" even phrases such as "no place found for them" all thruout the scriptures, and since
I have such easy access now via the computer to the Crosswalk link, where there are concordances
in the KJV and study helps, if I want to, I can pull all that up and continue. 

I personally believe that the Spirit of Revelation is "in" the KJV to be activated by the Spirit, of course,
as one "walks" in the LIGHT already "given" ... and will show a Christian who "studies to show themselvesapproved unto God" the "hidden" "WORD" and not just the "manna" thru the Scriptures. This is what Jesus meant when He said "Search the Scriptures, for they are they that testify of ME!!"  Not one can intrepret them the way He does to you.  Why? Because He said, "All that come to me shall be
taught of My Father!" We come to Jesus and He takes us to the Father!  That's the journey.
When we finally arrive in the Father's Hands, He is greater than the Son, and NO MAN can pluck us
out! In "that" day, Jesus said, "I will show you plainly of the Father!" He is the SON "reproduced" by
His Father!  The work of the Spirit! And the "hidden manna" of the 'BIBLE' tells this story!
I sure am glad I learned some part of the scriptures, because too many times, the Spirit has
spoken to me and I could put them together to make sense of what I was hearing in the scriptures.
They "say" Isa. saw it all.

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 02:08:53 PM »
I've used the New American Standard for 20 some years but like pierac, I use e sword when I'm really searching something out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 03:55:12 AM by hopeful »
You're welcome to visit http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:10:08 PM »
 :cloud9: Since I knew NOTHING when I came to the Lord, I asked Him which bible I was supposed to buy. He led me to get a Nave's KJV study bible and a Strong's concordance. I didn't even know what a concordance was used for, LOL. I was literally like taking a child by the hand, and showing them how to cross the street safely. I do now have other versions which I have occasionally looked in to see how they word something, but very rarely. I just can't get out of the KJ. I get more from the Hebrew in the Strong's than anything. That seems to be where we "meet" the most ;) Blessings to you in your search.......
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

rockclimber

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 02:48:25 PM »
Revised English Bible

jchpiper

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 02:03:46 AM »
General reading:  Amplified

For word studies:  KJV

gatheredfragments

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 11:48:31 AM »
Interlinear (Green)

NIV

KJV

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 12:57:43 PM »
Interlinear (Green)

Green?  Did you mean Greek?  :Sparkletooth:

Your own personal editor,
Hopeful   :happy3:

gatheredfragments

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 05:16:50 PM »
No..not greek..
the translations are hebrew and greek to english..
but the translation to english is by Jay Green, Sr.  1985 Edition

I am not a reader of Hebrew or Greek text, but I do enjoy reading the translation with those texts, its a real exercise to read right to left and sometimes up and down.  Then compare that to the english. 

thanks personal editor.. :smile:

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 06:50:02 PM »
No..not greek..

:ghaha: on me!  I guess I'm fired!

martincisneros

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 08:01:11 PM »
J.P. Green is good, as is Rotherham's, Scarlett's, Young's, and the Concordant.  For word studies, I'll tend to consult Rotherman's, Scarlett's, Young's, and the Concordant along the way, but I'll tend to use NASB, Concordant New Testament, and Scarlett's New Testament most of all, though I still favor the NKJV - but just haven't been able to find the thing since I moved and have rarely thought about it since my last move. 

Probably use NASB and the CLNT the most though. 

When I'm reading through the book of Revelation though, I'll prefer the much stricter Scarlett's, Young's, and Concordant because I was raised on the Hal Lindsey - uh...trying to be nice to what's probably a very sincere brother - anyway, it was all of the Premillenialist goofy left behind stuff that I was raised on, that was actually worse on abusing me mentally and spiritually than the whole eternal hell stuff 'cause it still bottomlined in a message of abandonment if you weren't up to par in your own strength.  And particularly Scarlett's and the Concordant have been really helpful in getting me out of Premillenialism and a multitude of other misreadings of Revelation. 

[As I don't know who has/hasn't read my previous comments on other threads, I favor Postmillenialism now, which I'd never heard of as a distinct theological perspective until this year although everything that I was saying since last year wound up being specifically that.  Seems the most Biblically consistent and enriches my pre-UR and present UR beliefs on dozens of different levels.]

What's funny is that apart from the obvious ET nonsense (i.e. eternal torment) and the premillenialist (i.e. "left behind") nonsense, the Scarlett's translation has actually been sorta aligning the book of Revelation for me almost the way that Marilyn Hickey would teach it.  Nearly mailed her a copy of the translation the first time I read through it and it seemed to deeply favor her interpretation of the same story essentially being told three different times.  I never expected for it to click in that way.  Although as a Postmillenialist I obviously read Revelation 19 differently, as the spiritual battle that brings about the conversion of Israel and not as the literal, bodily Second Coming so soon in history.

No matter whether you prefer and/or deeply favor KJV, NKJV, NASB, or some other translation that's not classified as one of the literals, I think that it would be deeply instructive for anyone to take a particular favorite New Testament epistle in one of the literals, like the Concordant, Scarlett's, or Young's, and spend quality time rereading that whole epistle over and over and over and over and over again from one of the literals like that.  The Concordant has been very deeply illuminating for me in Ephesians and Revelation so far. 

NASB (Updated Edition) though, seems the best translation of the book of Philemon, but don't get me started on Philemon 'cause there's enough material there for that book to have it's own entire discussion board.  William Barclay's commentary will give you enough of a hint/taste of what I'm talking about if anybody's just seen my comment on Philemon and is like "really??"

gatheredfragments

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 10:10:57 PM »
No..not greek..

:ghaha: on me!  I guess I'm fired!

no way would i fire you
you ask instead of assume...you get a raise  :gthumbsup:

gosh, martin...i wonder what goes on in the space and time in your mind...WOW.  ...i'm such a newbie to this type of study.. :mshock:

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 11:29:49 PM »
...you get a raise  :gthumbsup:

A raise!  :reachout:  Thanks!   :HeartThrob:

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 03:27:27 AM »
I have been raised reading the KJV and I've grown so accustomed to it. It is easy to read and it's like the .mp3 format of audio. It may not be perfect, but it is very interchangeable and useable with just about everything. If I was asked what audio format I preferred, I would say .mp3 even though .acc is much better quality, becuase almost every player out there will play .mp3s.

whyiloveitaly.com

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »
I like Phillips, Moffat (has an 'alternate' end to one of the gospels!!), amplified (mentions that Lucifer is perhaps not satan!), paraphrased, new american standard, kjv and .. maybe a couple others I've forgotten!
It's incredible how something you've heard and read a million times in one version seems totally new when in another!

Brian

Offline sven

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 07:40:12 PM »
as i am from germany, i read the german version of the concordant literal new testament by A.E. Knoch, an old jewish tanakh translation from about 1840, the "Dabhar" translation - strict concordant, i think there is also an english version.

online i like the german elberfelder (i think it came out in the year 1855 and the places where "hell" appeared decreased from about 60x in luther to only 12x total, the revision has good footnotes concerning aion), the latin vulgate; verses about universalism i check in "hell-teaching" bibles like luther, kjv, after reading about the controversy about the textus receptus, i read sometimes the Young´s literal translation, maybe i buy it.

i guess luther in germany is what the KJV is in america, i never liked luther