Author Topic: When Is Aionian Life?  (Read 2021 times)

Jerm

When Is Aionian Life?
« on: November 15, 2008, 03:18:14 PM »
Quick question, though it may not have a quick answer  :bigGrin: I understand that aionion is an age related word that does not mean eternal (taking Greek classes at school has also clarified this) and instead should be translated as age-during, of the age, etc.  However, some confusion has occured for me.  As I understand it, eternal life should technically be translated as life age-during or more idiomatically as life in the age to come.  My question is, when is this age when we recieve life?  I've read some to say it is the Church Age we are living in now, others say it's during the Millenial Kingdom, and others say it's not until the New Heaven and the New Earth.  So again, my question is when do we recieve this life?

martincisneros

Re: When Is Aionian Life?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 04:15:15 PM »
11 And this is the testimony, that God gives us life eonian, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who has the Son has the life; he who has not the Son of God has not the life.
13 These things I write to you that you who are believing in the name of the son of God may be perceiving that you have life eonian. (1John 5:11-13)

20 Yet we are aware that the Son of God is arriving, and has given us a comprehension, that we know the True One, and we are in the True One, in His Son, Jesus Christ. This One is the true God and life eonian. (1John 5:20)

14 We are aware that we have proceeded out of death into life, for we are loving our brethren. He who is not loving is remaining in death.
15 Everyone who is hating his brother is a man-killer, and you are aware that no man-killer at all has life eonian remaining in him. (1John 3:14-15)

23 Everyone who is disowning the Son, neither has the Father. He who is avowing the Son has the Father also.
24 Let that which you hear from the beginning be remaining in you. If ever that which you hear from the beginning should be remaining in you, you, also, will be remaining in the Son and in the Father.
25 And this is the promise which He promises us: the life eonian.
26 These things I write to you concerning those who are deceiving you. (1John 2:23-26)

2 according as Thou givest Him authority over all flesh, that everything which Thou hast given to Him, He should be giving it to them, even life eonian.
3 Now it is eonian life that they may know Thee, the only true God, and Him Whom Thou dost commission, Jesus Christ. (Gospel of John 17:2-3)

1 In the beginning was the word, and the word was toward God, and God was the word.
2 This was in the beginning toward God.
3 All came into being through it, and apart from it not even one thing came into being which has come into being.
4 In it was life, and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light is appearing in the darkness, and the darkness grasped it not. (Gospel of John 1:1-5)

Offline Sarah

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »
Aionian life is the result of relationship with God and begins the moment we believe.

But aionian life is like a suit that we put on. When we start to put it on, we live in hope that one day we will be fully clothed, but it is a process. The more of self that is swallowed up the more fully clothed we are. When we shed this old earthly suit, then we will clearly see that our hope was a reality and we are fully clothed. It is only in relationship that brings us to this place. The suit is one of love, joy and peace in the Holy Spirit.

Offline studier

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »
Aionion Zoe is Now.

Offline Tony N

• Bronze
    • Saviour of All Fellowship
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 10:53:44 PM »
Quick question, though it may not have a quick answer  :bigGrin: I understand that aionion is an age related word that does not mean eternal (taking Greek classes at school has also clarified this) and instead should be translated as age-during, of the age, etc.  However, some confusion has occured for me.  As I understand it, eternal life should technically be translated as life age-during or more idiomatically as life in the age to come.  My question is, when is this age when we recieve life?  I've read some to say it is the Church Age we are living in now, others say it's during the Millenial Kingdom, and others say it's not until the New Heaven and the New Earth.  So again, my question is when do we recieve this life?

Eonian life must be determined by its context.
Eonian life, for the believer, is when a person is given the ability to live THROUGH the duration of the oncoming eons (thousand year eon and new earth eon). When is the believer given that ability to live through the two eons to come? When they are given immortality and incorruption.

In Matthew 25:31-46 Eonian life is that life which is pertaining to THAT eon in which Christ comes back which is the 1000 year long eon. That life which those NATIONS receive correction or blessings is the life PERTAINING TO that eon. . . that thousand year eon. Those nations are not chastened longer than that, for, when that eon ends they stand before the Great White Throne.

It is possible for us to get hold of eonian life mentally now:

1Ti 6:12 Contend the ideal contest of the faith. Get hold of eonian life, for which you were called, and you avow the ideal avowal in the sight of many witnesses."

But literally, we believers don't get hold of eonian life until we receive immortality and incorruption and that occurrs just before we meet the Lord in the air.
Just because God says He will save all mankind
does not necessarily mean He won't.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 11:02:05 PM »
Aionion Zoe is Now.

Craig,

Isn't "zoe" limited by defenition?
Zoe = resurrected but ends again. Just like the resurrected Lazarus is dead again.
zoopoiethesontai = vivified and beyond reach of death.

Correct?
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline studier

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 11:05:45 PM »
Zoe = God Abundant Life

Offline Sarah

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 05:03:46 PM »
When Jesus walked the earth, aionian life was something you inherit and something to come in the following age. It begins as a spring up water welling up into aionian life and yet Jesus also said it is something they received when they believed his words and received Him. Perhaps this was the first trickle of the spring.

Mathew
And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Mark
will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life.

John
"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say."

After Jesus died and ascended to the father, which I assume would be the age to come Jesus was talking about, aionian life is something attained by being set free from sin, it is the result of sowing to the spirit, it is something to be taken hold of, it is something that is inherited, it is something hoped for and the mercy of God brings you to.

Romans
But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.

Galations
The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

Timothy
Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Titus
a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time,

so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

Jude
Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

But literally, we believers don't get hold of eonian life until we receive immortality and incorruption and that occurrs just before we meet the Lord in the air.

Do you believe that meeting the Lord in the air is our literal death or a rapture sort of thing?

Offline Tony N

• Bronze
    • Saviour of All Fellowship
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:08:46 PM »
Tony wrote: But literally, we believers don't get hold of eonian life until we receive immortality and incorruption and that occurrs just before we meet the Lord in the air.

Do you believe that meeting the Lord in the air is our literal death or a rapture sort of thing?

Meeting the Lord in the air is the beginning of real life. The living are changed from mortal, dying ones to immortal ones. The ones who are dead and in their graves are suddenly changed from dead ones to living, immortal ones.

I believe that we will be snatched out of this earth and meet the Lord in the air. And thus shall we always be with the Lord.
Just because God says He will save all mankind
does not necessarily mean He won't.

alihaymeg

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 06:25:21 AM »
It is difficult to shed our indoctrinated picture of this word and its derivatives as meaning some supernatural change. In the context that it may have been intended by Jesus in these passages, it could (and probably does) mean a fulfilled or enriched life. Going further, it may describe the effects of walking in the fulfillment of the knowledge of the spirit of God. It is the result of a spiritual awakening. Some have described it as the "fulfilled life of the age." This is the point at which we realize why we are here. We are here to be perfected in love. That process starts when we realize the truth of the nature of Christ, and then we can begin to live the "Fulfilled life of this age." The realization is the cause and living a fulfilled life is the effect.

Will it last into the next "Kosmos", or order of things? Most certainly, but that is not the point.