Author Topic: What about my Bible?  (Read 1168 times)

waitinontheLamb

What about my Bible?
« on: July 12, 2008, 07:51:30 AM »
So, if this UR thing is truth, which I seem to be drawn so mightily to believe, what do I do about my Bible?

I read the NKJV and have done so for some time. I also have an ESV which I like too.

But both of these teach hell. The NKJV is the only one of the moderns to have it in the Old Testament too.

So do I just get rid of my Bible and get a literal translation like Youngs, which is so very difficult to read (used to have one, wish I still had it for reference).

I see that some of you quote from the KJV.

Any thoughts?

jabcat

Re: What about my Bible?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 08:07:40 AM »
Oh boy...just my opinions and thoughts...put it into the equation, pray about it, be lead of the Spirit.

What I have done....I no longer read anything but literal translations...Young's, (good news, there is a Modern Young's that is worded in more contemporary language...they are available on Amazon for around $15 or so).  I also read Concordant Version which many say is the most accurate to the Greek...however, I also read The Christian Bible (1992, www.christianbiblesociety.com) which some say it is the most accurate to the Greek.  One thing about that translation that's different is that it is based on the Koine (everyday) Greek, which supposedly it has been found that that is what the oldest manuscripts were written in.  My one exception...I personally like the way the American Standard reads...not all of it, just generally, so I will read it some on Bible Gateway (www.biblegateway.com).

I was reading L.Ray Smith the other day where he said if not for a few main problems, i.e., 'hell' and 'forever', the KJV would otherwise be a very good translation.  I'm personally not so sure, as 1) I've read it has hundreds if not thousands of translational problems, and 2) older manuscripts have been found since the KJV, and I believe even since Young's was translated (1898?) from which the Christian Bible was translated.

Anyway, some of my thoughts, hope it helps.  God's blessing, James.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:18:55 AM by jabcat »

Paul

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »
I see that some of you quote from the KJV.

That's just because it's the most well-established translation. It's also a really good translation, with the exception of a few key areas; and people amend the necessary verses when they need to.

In the following video, Gary Amirault lists all the translations you can use: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XrCTQ09z1do

martincisneros

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:51:17 PM »
Rotherham's translation is pretty good.  I tend to consult it more than Young's 'cause as you said, Young's is a bit of a hard read.  My personal opinion is that it uses a couple of eternals in it that aren't necessary as well.  I've even heard Joseph Prince quote Rotherham's a few times.  I don't think he's a UR believer though, although with the Gospel of Grace that he teaches, UR's pretty much the next step from what he teaches if you ever get to hear very much of Joseph Prince's ministry http://www.josephprince.org  He's made two, maybe three ET references in the nearly 6 months that I've been listening to him, and his program is on 7 days a week where I live between a couple of different channels.  And those couple of times he didn't harp on it.  Just a passing reference. 

My point is that apparently Rotherham's has got credibility with people that aren't necessarily UR.  Beyond that there's the Concordant Literal.  It's one down side is it's not in one volume or even two.  You'll get the occasional Universalist that'll balk at a few translational differences in it, but overall, it's a pretty fantastic translation.  If I personally had to pick between the Concordant New Testament and the KJV.... but that's just me 'cause I never found the KJV very readable anyway and years ago when I'd found out about the NKJV, I was so relieved!  The reason that a lot of Universalists will still use the KJV is because so many study aides are readily available for it, from Wigram's Concordance to Young's Concordance. 

My studies recently have centered mostly around the New Testament, so I've been using the Concordant and Scarlett's New Testament.  Scarlett's is a translation from 1798 that's perdy good.  I got both of those New Testaments from the Concordant Publishing Concern http://www.concordant.org  For Old Testament, I'm mainly using the NASB, although I've peaked in the KJV a few times for like something out of Proverbs or something like that.  UR was sorta my big fork in the road about 7 years ago, so I've spent less time in the Old Testament while I've been finding my footing again in the New Testament.  I don't always remember to, but I've sometimes looked in rotherham's Emphasized Bible from http://www.studylight.org

A KJV's basically fine if you're able to really read it and get a lot out of it.  A lot of people really don't get much out of the 17th century translation, myself included 'cause half of the English vocabulary -- ignoring the Hebrew and Greek for a second, but just the English of 1611 so often means the exact opposite of what it means these days.  But if you're thoroughly schooled in Shakespeare's English and know it as a foreign language, then as I said, the study aides are there for that translation.  No translation's going to be 100% satisfactory to absolutely everybody.  You might read a few pages of rotherham's Emphasized and decide that Young's wasn't so bad afterall :laughing7:

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 05:03:14 AM »

I like the Amplified Bible but very often compare Scriptures of other versions.