Author Topic: Truth Will Hurt You!  (Read 2852 times)

rockclimber

Truth Will Hurt You!
« on: September 10, 2007, 07:24:55 PM »
This came from a commentary that i read. Your thoughts please.
How we love to quote Scriptures, but how little we know what the depth of meaning of so many of them are. Take for example, John 8:32. Saying that the "truth will set you free" sounds all well and good; however, that's what the end product of the truth is.There are a few things that have to happen to allow that "truth" to leaven you as a person, and begin the transformational stuff that may not always "feel so good". One of the best examples that should be true for all of us is the discovery that we're not all that great that our ego has convinced us that we are. Hardly! But, let's examine the "process" a little more.

We live in a universe of energy and thoughts. All that we really experience in life is that which our thoughts have objectified. That's really scary when you contemplate it a bit deeper than just a surface statement. What sociologists and psychiatrists confirm is that when we hear the TRUTH for the first time it's usually hard to believe, maybe even totally unbelievable. Another way Stephen Covey has put it is that "Change brings regression".

So, it's much easier to not change than feel pain.

But when our misery factor exceeds our fear factor, we make the transition.

And thus it is that business schools will tell you that there are two ways to make money. The easy way is to find out what people WANT and give it to them. The far more difficult way is to find out what's BEST for people and try to convince them of it. An example of the former would be fast food while one of the latter would be a well-balanced meal. 

What I've said in the above that might not be all that obvious is that when we learn to control our thinking, we begin to take control and responsibility for our lives. And, we can then quit blaming our failures on others. Maybe!

It's helpful if your realize that HOW we were created was to allow God to THINK through us.

Now that's a bummer for the "self made man- or woman". And therein we've just proved my point. The TRUTH HURTS..in the beginning, but in the end, it's heaven on earth:

otherwise known as Kingdom living.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 05:12:09 AM by rockclimber »

Offline studier

• Restricted
Re: Truth Will Hurt You!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:06:14 PM »
 :thumbsup:

What I've said in the above that might not be all that obvious is that when we learn to control our thinking, we begin to take control and responsibility for our lives. And, we can then quit blaming our failures on others. Maybe!

One day people will stop blaming everything and everyone including God for their lives, and start to take control and responsibility of their lives and blame themselves for not submitting to God when He has repeatively asked us to.

Amen Bro.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:08:01 PM by Craig »

darsemnos

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 04:34:05 AM »
How we love to quote Scriptures...

I agree. I think we have often have to face a crisis to experience serious growth. There's a verse something like "unless a seed falls to the ground and dies..." that speaks to something similar.

I'm kind of going through a mid-life crisis of sorts, though I'm only 25. A lot of what you say makes sense in regards to what I'm realizing and the changes I need to make inside and outside. But I'm grateful that this is happening now rather than later, or not at all, and I'm grateful that I'm conscious of the cause of the minor misery(I have to qualify it as minor, as there is nothing particularly traumatic I'm going through, just significant dissatisfaction with certain aspects of my life that are within my control.)

Anyway, I think you're right on.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:30:13 PM by SeekerSA »

Transponder

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 05:35:13 PM »
May surprise you, but I agree with all three of you.

'Pain is good; pain is your friend' (Mel Gibson in Chicken Run)

Offline studier

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 01:00:04 AM »
Why would that be surprising? Whether or not you are an athiest or agnostic, or whatever you call your believe system, it doesn't destroy what is morally and ethically true concerning human behavior and pyscology. Too many blame God and Satan or others for their deeds and words, and a non-Christian can even attest to this. I believe this is the core reasoning behind the worlds problems today.

Generally, not specifically or everybody:

Hindu's believe in re-incarnation, so if you come back as a poor begger, it is against their religion to make them rich because they are being punished for their past life. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions in that system.

Muslims believe in Allah, and that if you are not Muslim, then you have no rights to the earth or living existance. There is only One God and He is Allah, and He wages war against the infidel heretic. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions, if they do bad in the name of Allah, it was Allah's will.

Christians believe in Jesus Christ, and if you are not Christian, then you don't have the Holy Spirit and will not understand what is right or wrong. When things go bad, it is God's will that it goes bad. Or if you believe we are forgiven, you can sin but it doesn't matter because God loves you anyways. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions.

Blah blah blah. All of those systems are messed up. This whatever will be will be attitude is defeating. You have nobody taking responsibility, and nobody held accountable. So you have a society and world that does what it likes, whenever it likes and finding the best excuse in why they cannot be a good person!

If we live taking responsibility and understand we are held accountable, we should understand that is talking about the present reality, not some future spiritual judgment. Too many people lose grip on the reality they live in, waiting for something that is not real to occur.

If we start taking responsibility and understand we are held accountable, we should live good lives and humble lives and taking assertive authority in times we need to maintain responsibility and accountability. The world would be a far better place.

How do you teach humility, responsibility and accountability, to those who are not humble because they have no responsibility or accountability?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:08:37 AM by Craig »

Transponder

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 01:16:32 AM »
Craig, you have explained, better than I could, where atheists get their morality.

Gabe Grinstead

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 02:33:27 AM »
Why would that be surprising? Whether or not you are an atheist or agnostic, or whatever you call your believe system, it doesn't destroy what is morally and ethically true concerning human behavior and psychology. Too many blame God and Satan or others for their deeds and words, and a non-Christian can even attest to this. I believe this is the core reasoning behind the worlds problems today.

Generally, not specifically or everybody:

Hindu's believe in re-incarnation, so if you come back as a poor beggar, it is against their religion to make them rich because they are being punished for their past life. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions in that system.

Muslims believe in Allah, and that if you are not Muslim, then you have no rights to the earth or living existence. There is only One God and He is Allah, and He wages war against the infidel heretic. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions, if they do bad in the name of Allah, it was Allah's will.

Christians believe in Jesus Christ, and if you are not Christian, then you don't have the Holy Spirit and will not understand what is right or wrong. When things go bad, it is God's will that it goes bad. Or if you believe we are forgiven, you can sin but it doesn't matter because God loves you anyways. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions.

Blah blah blah. All of those systems are messed up. This whatever will be will be attitude is defeating. You have nobody taking responsibility, and nobody held accountable. So you have a society and world that does what it likes, whenever it likes and finding the best excuse in why they cannot be a good person!

If we live taking responsibility and understand we are held accountable, we should understand that is talking about the present reality, not some future spiritual judgment. Too many people lose grip on the reality they live in, waiting for something that is not real to occur.

If we start taking responsibility and understand we are held accountable, we should live good lives and humble lives and taking assertive authority in times we need to maintain responsibility and accountability. The world would be a far better place.

How do you teach humility, responsibility and accountability, to those who are not humble because they have no responsibility or accountability?

I agree with this.

I'd like to add that is one reason why I reject original sin.  While it is true that all will sin, and all have sinned (exception being Christ).  But to create a mind-set for failure is only going to lead to failure.  If you are told you are evil and believe it, you can only be evil!  You can never achieve greater than your aim. If you believe you are never capable of living rightly before God, then you NEVER will.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 09:31:33 AM by SeekerSA »

Offline studier

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 11:24:15 PM »
I agree with this.

I'd like to add that is one reason why I reject origonal sin.  While it is true that all will sin, and all have sinned (exception being Christ).  But to create a mind-set for failure is only going to lead to failure.  If you are told you are evil and believe it, you can only be evil!  You can never achieve greater than your aim. If you believe you are never capable of living rightly before God, then you NEVER will.

You got it. If we are told we will never understand God and always searching, we will never understand God and always be searching.

2 Timothy 3:1-6
But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God"having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth. Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these men oppose the truth"men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »
 :cloud9: Truth doesn't just hurt you, it KILLS you, LOL......but the joy of the life that comes in it's place takes the sting out of the death......Blessings to you......
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor